Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #21
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Too bad. I liked his approach at the draft where he would just go up and make the selection instead of making a speech and thanking everyone under the sun before they make their pick.
Probably a bad sign for a GM if that is what people remember you for....
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #22
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if Buffalo throws a ton of money at Treliving?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Tough though because the lottery balls went the Leafs way and not the Sabres. Also the Leafs had to offer a monster contract to get the better coach.
Certainly in the case of Buffalo ending up with Eichel instead of McDavid, and the Leafs getting Matthews. But Toronto also drafted Nylander, Marner, etc., and have the likes of Kadri and JVR while Buffalo has Kane.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #24
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not many GMs around the league get to enjoy the fruits of their labour through a rebuild, and I don't think this was any different. It seems you almost need to be a special kind of GM to last from the start of a rebuild and back into contention.

I don't think Murray was that great. I am sure Eichel doesn't mind him gone either since Murray was so publicly 'disappointed' at having to draft Eichel.

I can't imagine Bylsma gets another contract any time soon, but I was sure as I could be that Torts wouldn't either, so who knows?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #25
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lost the lottery two years in a row.

Could've had Ekblad and McDavid.
But got Reinhart and Eichel instead.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #26
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Do GM contracts officially expire on July 1 like player contracts?
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #27
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What? Treliving has been in the playoffs 2 of 3 years, true, but his track record isn't extensive enough yet that he would warrant "a ton of money" being thrown at him. I would suspect someone like Lombardi would be much higher on a list like that.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #28
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The decent thing would have been to fire them at the very end of the season like most teams do, giving them the best chance to catch on with other teams. I have to think the Eichel rumour was true. It's not like other coaches were just fired and they are hoping to bring on of them on (like in the Hartley situation where they also waited).
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tim Murray, we barely knew ye. Seemed like a super ineffective GM. Ownership interference?
In what way? I think he did literally everything possible to launch that team headfirst into a rebuild. Compare that to what the Canucks have done, dipping their toes in the water. He accumulated a ton of picks and young players, tanked at the right time (can't help the lottery balls), and ended up with a whole bunch of good young pieces. What else can you do as a GM? If your scouting department can't turn the picks into assets, if your coaching staff and AHL pipeline can't develop your assets into players, if your coach can't get the most out of the players you've got... how does that get laid at Murray's feet?

And it's too soon to say that they even have a problem there. Eichel was hurt this year. When he was healthy, he murdered. See the Oilers last year without McDavid vs. this year.

Honestly, after what he did there, any rebuilding franchise should be considering him.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #30
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
In what way? I think he did literally everything possible to launch that team headfirst into a rebuild. Compare that to what the Canucks have done, dipping their toes in the water. He accumulated a ton of picks and young players, tanked at the right time (can't help the lottery balls), and ended up with a whole bunch of good young pieces. What else can you do as a GM? If your scouting department can't turn the picks into assets, if your coaching staff and AHL pipeline can't develop your assets into players, if your coach can't get the most out of the players you've got... how does that get laid at Murray's feet?

And it's too soon to say that they even have a problem there. Eichel was hurt this year. When he was healthy, he murdered. See the Oilers last year without McDavid vs. this year.

Honestly, after what he did there, any rebuilding franchise should be considering him.
I don't think he did a bad job, just seemed to be overshadowed by ownership during his tenure, and this move sort of seals it for me. Losing out on Matthews and babcock were unfortunate but it just felt like that team had more to give.

Or maybe i don't have a clue what i'm talking about.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #31
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

This is why bad teams often have trouble becoming good teams.

Impatient owners, and now they're going to bring in a new guy to reset the clock.

I'd like to believe the Flames are so familiar with this formula that they'd be able to avoid it.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

He didn't really have a good shot at Matthews; they were most likely to pick 7th. Ended up 8th with Nylander, which is a fine selection there imo (unfortunate missing out on Keller though).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #33
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Another good hockey mind, Craig Conroy. Lots of options for the Sabres.

Conroy getting some love
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #34
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I would be super annoyed if this quaint little "other industries don't renew contracts until they are due" nuance cost the Flames their general manager, and essentially launched another new direction in Calgary.

And the dumb part about this nuance? It's not even true. If you have a contractor that is valuable and expected to be well sought after not only do you look at keeping him before his expiration date, you convert him into a full time employee and avoid the hassle
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #35
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Another good hockey mind, Craig Conroy. Lots of options for the Sabres.

Conroy getting some love
What's the consensus here - is he ready for a GM role? Could internal love for Conroy be what's prompting the speculation Treliving won't be back?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #36
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I would be super annoyed if this quaint little "other industries don't renew contracts until they are due" nuance cost the Flames their general manager, and essentially launched another new direction in Calgary.

And the dumb part about this nuance? It's not even true. If you have a contractor that is valuable and expected to be well sought after not only do you look at keeping him before his expiration date, you convert him into a full time employee and avoid the hassle
Amen, sister.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #37
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just hire Lombardi already. Probably one of the biggest reasons Murray was even fired is because Lombardi became available. In my eyes the might as well have announced his hiring at the same time, but I guess we'll see.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #38
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Just hire Lombardi already. Probably one of the biggest reasons Murray was even fired is because Lombardi became available. In my eyes the might as well have announced his hiring at the same time, but I guess we'll see.
Could be. Assuming Lombardi will go there, they won't find a better candidate. Built the Sharks into a perennial playoff team/contender and built the Kings into 2-time Stanley Cup champions. He knows the road-map. And you know money won't be an issue for Pegula.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #39
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

should hire these two

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #40
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going from Murray to Conroy would be an incredibly huge change in draft philosophy. I mean the actual getting up on the podium part, from 5 seconds to 10 minutes.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post: