Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #21
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Nothing against the article, it was fine, but it just seems very odd to me that TSN would employ a 'Director of Scouting'. Like, what?

The article was fine, though.
Button makes his own NHL draft lists plus his own prospect rankings for TSN. Basically a scout employed by a TV network as a scout. Not sure why you find it so odd or how you didn't know that already given how many Button draft and prospect rankings get posted.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #22
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you can literally cut the tip of a guys finger off and not get anything, even a 2 min penalty there is a problem.

It was bad luck? that's life

If I do something stupid and run a guy over in my car guess what, the guy losses a limb or dies I get in more trouble than if he walks away with a slight limp
Old 03-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #23
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
No. Doughty is doing a stick lift for sure, but Brown comes in and smashed it hard with a slash.

Link
https://gfycat.com/UnderstatedRichImago
It is that exact type of play that drives me crazy about the NHL.

That is a slash all day long.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #24
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
No. Doughty is doing a stick lift for sure, but Brown comes in and smashed it hard with a slash.

Link
https://gfycat.com/UnderstatedRichImago
just unreal what players get away with against Gaudreau

Last edited by Ashasx; 03-30-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #25
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ahh, yeah. Memory did not serve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
just unreal what players get away with against Gaudreau
Part of that is Gaudreau's own fault. He's become quite the actor this year, and though it is in response to the officials putting their whistles away against Calgary, its still something that will only result in a negative feedback loop. But it really puts him in a catch-22, because he never gets the call unless his response is dramatic.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #26
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for posting Miss Teeks! I just don't see this practice ever being eliminated.

To me, the issue is addressed by one of or a combination of three main things:

(1) Refs tighten up slashing calls / post-game review penalties get greater enforcement (both of which posters here have already suggested).

(2) Players take it upon themselves to stop the habit.

(3) The league eventually decides to widen the playing surface.

#3 is least likely to occur for logistical/financial reasons, but, selfishly, I wish the league had started the policy of having new arenas built with capacity to expand ice surface. The game is SO fast now that boxing these guys in creates more opportunities for the types of slashes we're discussing. (Ironically, it's the NHL's oldest rink--ours--that actually has the capability to expand the ice surface...)

As others have said, #1 is discouraged in the name of "game management". Making calls for each little slash (if the article is to be believed) would mean dozens of potential disruptions to each game, something the NHL is already trying to decrease.

So, in my mind, it's the culture amongst the players that must change if these slashes are to stop. However, if you're a player trying to get any advantage and you know that there will be no penalty for specific types of plays, why would you unilaterally stop this practice? Crosby's remarks in the article especially suggest that players don't see it as a problem--and if the best player in the game thinks that way, why would anyone else change their minds?

So, unfortunately, I think this continues to be a real player safety/injury issue for a long time.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #27
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I think a lot of these little slashes are ignored by refs because they're under pressure to manage the game. Right now, if they were to call every slash they saw, it would be a penalty parade.
If it's going to stop, the NHL has to commit to calling every "tap" an official sees, despite how lopsided the pp opportunities get. It would only take a few games for the players to learn.
Exactly what I came here to say.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #28
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Partially. The ref may have seen it the same as you, that Doughty's sticklift broke it and as a result the stick was already broken.

But it's definitely from Brown's slash.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #29
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL needs to commit to calling their penalties. Yes there would be a lot of penalties at the time, but it would be an adjustment period. Players will learn that they're strict on it and will change their play to accomdate. By mid season the amount of penalties should be reduced to a reasonable amount.

I don't know if they're hesistant because they feel fans wouldn't have patience, but I think that the fans would understand and it would only be tempoary pains. The goal is to increase/showcase offense, skill, as well protect players. (Especially marquee ones)
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #30
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. The most infuriating thing about the NHL is that there is zero consistency in what is and is not a penalty. Call the rulebook, whether it is 30 seconds after the opening face off or game 7, Stanley Cup Finals, in overtime.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #31
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Part of that is Gaudreau's own fault. He's become quite the actor this year, and though it is in response to the officials putting their whistles away against Calgary, its still something that will only result in a negative feedback loop. But it really puts him in a catch-22, because he never gets the call unless his response is dramatic.
Okay, that's fine, but he didn't do any acting in this gif and received a clear slash that broke his stick in two, right in the middle of the play.

How do referee ignore that?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #32
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hockey is the only sport where officials feel the need to "manage" a game. This is something that needs to be removed from the culture of hockey officiating as the mid-90's clutch and grab era was all their fault given today's obstruction rules were in effect then and they simply chose not to call them. Of course after the lockout the NHL mandated that they call games by the book but we have seen in recent years the officials going back to managing games and putting their whistles away. It's just one of those things where the NHL needs to have a house cleaning and dinosaurs like Colin Campbell shot out of a cannon.

Can you imagine in MLB baseball if umpires in a tight game started calling strikes on balls to keep a game tight? As ridiculous as that sounds NHL officials have been doing this forever.
This is false. MLB umpires strike zones change based on count (way more likely to get a called strike on 3-0 vs 0-2). A bit different way of managing the game but clearly biased to keep ABs going. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-s...zone-by-count/
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #33
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Okay, that's fine, but he didn't do any acting in this gif and received a clear slash that broke his stick in two, right in the middle of the play.

How do referee ignore that?
It probably didn't help that he shook out his left hand when Toffoli slashed him on the right.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
IMO it's a matter of time until Gaudreau suffers a major wrist injury the way he gets slashed every game. Unfortunately it's probably going to take that injury happening to McDavid or Matthews before this gets the major attention it deserves.
If Oiler fans think Gaudreau is embellishing the slashes, the best thing to do is to have someone slash McDavid's hands and break it.

If breaking a star player's hands (Gaudreau) doesn't get the league's attention, then you break the biggest star's hands (McDavid).

I will have the biggest smile on my face when this day comes.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #35
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never played high level competitive hockey (or even low level -- lol) -- do the little hacks and slashes even make much of a difference? Obviously a two-hander to the wrist is going to cause some damage, but if the vast majority of "taps" to the hand/glove area make little to no difference, what is the downside to removing that element of the game completely?

I recall watching a lacrosse game (in person) for the first time, and players would constantly hack and slash but it seemed like it made absolutely no difference.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #36
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I've never played high level competitive hockey (or even low level -- lol) -- do the little hacks and slashes even make much of a difference? Obviously a two-hander to the wrist is going to cause some damage, but if the vast majority of "taps" to the hand/glove area make little to no difference, what is the downside to removing that element of the game completely?

I recall watching a lacrosse game (in person) for the first time, and players would constantly hack and slash but it seemed like it made absolutely no difference.
They do. There are a couple of soft spots on the hands and wrists you can whack at and it hurts like a bitch. Hockey sticks are a lot sharper on the blade then a lacross net. High level players know how to aim their stick to hit them too. Look at the Crosby slash. Some beer league player doesn't have that accuracy but most NHLers do.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:28 PM   #37
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It probably didn't help that he shook out his left hand when Toffoli slashed him on the right.
maybe roll the tape back to the 2 prior slashes in that sequence instead of relying on a 2 second clip
Old 03-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #38
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The league could crack down on this just like they cracked down on obstruction over 10 years ago, and I would welcome it.

Start calling these slashes more regularly and you better believe it would drastically reduce the amount of times it happens.

Also, you'd get a pretty sizable increase in PP's for a while until the players adjusted, which would lead to some more scoring which is apparently something the league as a whole wants anyways.

Long term benefit would be star players, more skilled players who can skate and handle the puck would be able to showcase their talents more frequently.

Less serious long term injuries overall, especially to skilled puck possessing players
Less nagging minor injuries, especially to skilled puck possessing players
Less offensive plays dying on the vine because some buttplug slashes a skilled player causing him to lose the puck

That would also help increase scoring

I hope they do crack down on this, and hard.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #39
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

The majority of the little hacks and slashes don't hurt. They just make it harder to handle the puck. They definitely make a difference. It's harder to do anything if someone is poking you.

I don't think there is any downside to removing that element from the game.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #40
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's my understanding that most NHL players are fairly serious about their tapping agendas.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote