Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #41
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
For Iginla it's going to be about role and his willingness to adapt to it. As a 9-12 forward on a lower cost deal, someone in the NHL likely could use him. But for a player who spent 16 seasons as being the alpha dog that can be a tough transition to make. Gary Roberts as an example was able to do this, but he didn't have anywhere near the success for as long as a guy like Iginla did, not to mention the adversity in overcoming a significant injury that forced him out of the game.
Have you watched him on the Kings yet? He certainly isn't behaving like an "alpha dog"

Maybe he did on the Avs, because he likely was, but I didn't see that in the few Kings games I've seen (against us, and the Oilers yesterday).
Old 03-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #42
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine Iggy wants to go out on a whimper after Colorado's horrid season and LA limping to the finish line.

Body willing, I bet he comes back for one more year at age 40 and then calls it quits.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #43
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jesus Christ. Do we have to 'honor' Iggy EVERY time he is in the dome? Should he have 'honored' the deal between Boston and Calgary? Enough is enough. It's been how many years since he left? Get over it. We don't need a video presentation everytime he is in town. Do one final one when he retires and done.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #44
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It may we'll be the last game, but I bet even he doesn't know if that's the case. I'm betting it all depends on offers in the off-season. And it's not about ability. He can play at least a regular role on pretty much any team. There's just a price line under which he won't play, whether he has the chops or not. Will someone pay, say $2M+ for a 40 year old fourth liner? I don't see Iginla signing to move temporarily and play somewhere for a year at much less.
If Flames can pay Brouwer $4.5M/year and Iggy comes in around $2-3M/yr, you'd sign him! If he wasn't on a disfunctional Av's team this year, he'd still be scoring somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 - 25 goals. That's more than any average 3rd/4th line player. Even if he grinds it out on the 4th line and gets 10-15 goals, frick, that's better than what Stajan and Bouma combined!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #45
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think the Flames would go ahead with the gesture if they knew for sure he was planning to hang up the gloves after this season, but it's up in the air right now.

With that in mind, I'm not even sure if he gets much more acknowledgement than a brief jumbotron video during a TV timeout.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #46
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Even if Iginla does retire, I'm so glad that he has such class to not drag out his last season like other athletes with a "farewell tour" like Kobe and Jeter.

Iggy will always be my favorite player, and my heart will break if he decides to call it quits after this season. I hope that he comes back for one more year on a cup contender; ideally it'd be the Flames, but one can dream.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #47
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

While I normally would care, I don't give a rat's ass about Iginla and his possible last trip to the Dome tonight. The focus is solely on clinching that playoff spot, and maybe pulling ourselves out of a Wildcard spot.

If we are up 4-0, sure, but his face on the jumbotron and give him a minute, if it's a tight game, leave it be.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #48
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Flames do nothing, I hope Beasley doesn't announce his name entusiastically if he scores, and I hope the standing ovation at the end of the game is for he Flames as Iginla walks off the ice after a defeat.

We did all that stuff when he returned with the Bruins. Bring him back after he retires to do it again but not while he is still in the league. Yes, we all love Iggy, but for the love of God let it go already.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #49
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I hope the Flames do nothing, I hope Beasley doesn't announce his name entusiastically if he scores, and I hope the standing ovation at the end of the game is for he Flames as Iginla walks off the ice after a defeat.

We did all that stuff when he returned with the Bruins. Bring him back after he retires to do it again but not while he is still in the league. Yes, we all love Iggy, but for the love of God let it go already.
The last game, people were trying to get an Iggy chant going in my section in the middle of a close game, when LA was very close on our heels. All I could do is shake my head.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #50
Otto29
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Flames will honor him when he is done. I know the Flames don't retire numbers anymore but 12 should be retired
Otto29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #51
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
The last game, people were trying to get an Iggy chant going in my section in the middle of a close game, when LA was very close on our heels. All I could do is shake my head.
the same fans that booed the Flames for blocking an empty net attempt when he was with the Bruins lol

a gun rack? a gun rack?

He lost you 4 years ago, are you mental...
Old 03-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #52
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will clap for him if they show him on the jumbotron.

I will cheer him if he is a star at the end of the game.

I will only consider chanting his name at the end of the game if the Kings are getting blown out.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #53
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Jarome accepts an offer by the Flames to celebrate him, I hope it's after his playing career is truly done, in a Flames jersey and on a one-day contract.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #54
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope a playoff club signs him for a 1 year deal.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #55
Pliddy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Jesus Christ. Do we have to 'honor' Iggy EVERY time he is in the dome? Should he have 'honored' the deal between Boston and Calgary? Enough is enough. It's been how many years since he left? Get over it. We don't need a video presentation everytime he is in town. Do one final one when he retires and done.
post of the year!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #56
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto29 View Post
The Flames will honor him when he is done. I know the Flames don't retire numbers anymore but 12 should be retired
Yeah and none of this "Forever A Flame" BS
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #57
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The nostalgia in this thread is bordering in nauseating. Enough!

Our team we have now is going to be way better than any of the Iggy teams. They might be already. I hope we tune the Kings so bad they fear every playing the Flames again. And then we crush the Coilers in the playoffs.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #58
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where's the rumour?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #59
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You only give Jarome some kind of Linden handshake once you know for certain its the last time he sees the Flames.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #60
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Save any ceremony for actual retirement.

I wouldn't however be opposed to the AV guys tossing up the dancing Iggy if he scores.. just for old times sakes.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote