Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
One thing for sure that DC has going for them after BvS is lowered expectations.

I have lost hope that anything they push out is going to be epically awesome, but I still hope to be entertained.

I'm not sure if Snyder knows how to shoot in daylight. His movies can be eye candy with the style and all of that but what about some sunlight or something?

Superman is definitely in this, as confirmed by some set shots. Just what role he has is unknown.

It will probably be a predictable return to save the day sort of thing, with a brief peiod of unconvincing doubt that he's still a good guy.
Plus Henry Cavill is in the credits on IMDB, so no surprise that Superman will come back.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:24 AM   #22
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely lowered expectations with this one, the DCCU has been a big disappointment so far. Man of Steel was okay, BvS was below average, and Suicide Squad was a steaming pile of turd. Even Wonder Woman has me worried as the most recent trailer is not nearly as cool as the first one.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #23
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ben affleck's recent track record has not been good - alternatively, maybe he breaks out of his slump
Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #24
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Ben affleck's recent track record has not been good - alternatively, maybe he breaks out of his slump
'Gone Girl' was excellent.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Plus Henry Cavill is in the credits on IMDB, so no surprise that Superman will come back.
Well, they started BvS using part of Frank Miller's 'The Dark Knight Returns' material in which Superman gets hit by a nuclear missile and 'dies' so it stands to reason that he'll return in the same or at least a similar way.

I have to admit that at this point DC cant win with me.

If they just let it go and said: "Yeah...hes dead" and let him stay dead I'd laugh because that would be ridiculous and if (when) they bring him back its going to be expected.

So they either have to have a 'Plan C' or they're just going to have to take the hit on this one.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 03-26-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #26
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

My feelings about the prospects for this movie are roughly the same as my feelings about that "come together" cover. Which is to say, "ugh... really?"

I hope it's good but at this point we've been burned by DC movies so many times that I don't understand how anyone can be excited, even cautiously.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
My feelings about the prospects for this movie are roughly the same as my feelings about that "come together" cover. Which is to say, "ugh... really?"

I hope it's good but at this point we've been burned by DC movies so many times that I don't understand how anyone can be excited, even cautiously.
I like how they got Godsmack to do it. Why not go with 21 Pilots?

Or that other idiot....Pitbull! Thats it! Now that would have been money well spent. Plus it would have come with some sort of oddly hispanic twist.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Miami... New York... LA!... *some spanish*... come together..

There you go.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Miami... New York... LA!... *some spanish*... come together..

There you go.
That is a song that, despite the fact that it has literally already been written, practically writes itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Synder just doesn't have a real sense of characters and that's the biggest problem. Superman was lame in the Superman movies. He just can't get a handle in making intriguing characters which is amazing considering that they're superheros.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #31
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well...I'm interested, which is a change when it comes to DC movies. Guess we'll see. But I'm willing to give it a shot.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #32
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really? A thread for this.

If MoS, BVS, SS weren't enough to drive people away from this new DC wave of you know what, surely nothing is. Not gonna shell out another cent for these until the reviews say otherwise. Not making that mistake again!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #33
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't pay to watch BvS and haven't even seen Suicide Squad. But this looks moderately entertaining.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #34
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Synder just doesn't have a real sense of characters and that's the biggest problem. Superman was lame in the Superman movies. He just can't get a handle in making intriguing characters which is amazing considering that they're superheros.
Superheros are cool storytelling tools, but they're actually pretty difficult to do well. You have to find a theme or an idea that is universal enough for everyone to get and yet still somehow relevant to your fantastic character. For every cool superhero film or comic there's a ton of unforgettable and/or stupid characters and even more unforgettable stories about the supposedly good ones.

This is what MCU gets while their competitors for the most part don't. Look at how Marvel sells us movies.
Iron Man: a narcissistic billionaire playboy who thinks he knows whats best for the world. Hulk: A nice guy trying to cope with his violent side. Thor: A proud young man cast out from his home. Captain America: Patriotic do-gooder to the point of naive, really stubborn. When Marvel does Spider-Man: nerdy teenager with an overbearing (but charming and funny) mentor-figure. You get the idea. You could make interesting movies about all these guys even without the superpowers.

You can make movies about guys like these even without the powers.

Look at Man of Steel trailer, or Wolverine Origins trailer. What does either trailer tell us about what kind of people the characters are? Superman is... responsible? Wolverine is...been through a lot? And it's not because there's something wrong with the trailer. They did what they could with what they had.

Last edited by Itse; 03-26-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #35
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Personally I thought BvS was not that bad...the extended version that is. I was on board with the movie till the final 30 minutes then it really went south. I think we all need to remember that the bad guy has to be a guy where its midly believable that superman could lose to and because of that they have to make it way over the top. Do you think superman versus ultron would have been fun? That #### would have been over in 5 minutes.

We are spoiled because the Marvel Disney combination churns out top notch films, I would bet that had that merger not happened and we didn't get those movies we would all like the DC movies. However they are compared to Marvel movies and that is their downfall.

Personally I don't think the trailer is that bad and I'm sure the movie will entertain me a whole of a lot more than pieces of utter #### like la la land.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #36
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

My approach for both cinematic universes:

Marvel - Pretty much will watch anything they pump out, ratings be damned.
DC - Will wait for reviews, but an okay review is enough to get me to see it. FWIW I never watched Suicide Squad because the ratings were to bad lol.

Added bonus - Ended up watching Kong. Looking forward to that universe.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #37
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

This looks like a steaming pile of CGI crap. That cyborg cgi looks worse than a video game.

On their own most of these characters look great. I even like Aquaman, and that's one tough character to bring to screen. I feel like this ensemble movie is going to ruin all of them.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
My approach for both cinematic universes:

Marvel - Pretty much will watch anything they pump out, ratings be damned.
DC - Will wait for reviews, but an okay review is enough to get me to see it. FWIW I never watched Suicide Squad because the ratings were to bad lol.

Added bonus - Ended up watching Kong. Looking forward to that universe.
I still watch the DC stuff.

I find that I enjoy watching the DC stuff (BvS/MoS/SS) as a study in cinematics.

Batman vs. Superman should be taught in every film school.

"This is pretty much Grade A cinematic garbage. If you're ever making a film and thinking of doing anything that was done in BvS then you know you are doing something wrong.

Its like a roadmap. Of Hell. If you could find a way to shoehorn emo Tobey Maguire dancing in there too."

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #39
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I still watch the DC stuff.

I find that I enjoy watching the DC stuff (BvS/MoS/SS) as a study in cinematics.

Batman vs. Superman should be taught in every film school.

"This is pretty much Grade A cinematic garbage. If you're ever making a film and thinking of doing anything that was done in BvS then you know you are doing something wrong.

Its like a roadmap. Of Hell. If you could find a way to shoehorn emo Tobey Maguire dancing in there too."
That stylistic universe fit Suicide Squad much better, but then they just blew their brains out in storytelling so much so that it was somehow worse...despite BvS having some of the worst storytelling in film.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #40
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
We are spoiled because the Marvel Disney combination churns out top notch films, I would bet that had that merger not happened and we didn't get those movies we would all like the DC movies. However they are compared to Marvel movies and that is their downfall.
I think it's the opposite. IMO there are now so many good superhero films that they're keeping the bad ones afloat.

People seem to forget that Hollywood superheroes have been a thing ever since Tim Burton made a ton of money with Batman. All through the nineties we got Punisher, Rocketeer, Shadow, Phantom, Spawn, Blade... Mostly "dark and gritty" because that was supposedly the way to do superheroes back then. Mostly they bombed, because mostly they were crap.

Then X-Men and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy happened, and suddenly crap superhero movies like Daredevil or Ghost Rider start making decent money, or at at worst they break even like Elektra or Green Lantern.

Then Disney and Marvel turn superheroes into the biggest moneymaking machine in movie history, and now crap superhero movies like Suicide Squad can make $700M+. Sure, Suicide Squad is better than Daredevil (which is better than, say, Shadow). But there's no way such a mess of a movie with mostly obcsure characters makes that kind of money on it's own merits.

Cashing in on the success of better movies works.