Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #1
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Anyone proficient with live stream video setups?

Looking to start live streaming interviews to Youtube ( or could be FB or whatever). Have a few questions. Would love to chat.

I didn't want to overwhelm anyone but here is the full range of the conversation.

We usually do a podcast on video and then upload it. We are looking to do some live interviews.

My podcast has 3 hosts (all in the same place) and we wanted to bring in a guest but we want to do it video style. I have been looking and I see google hangouts is an option and that you can even live stream it.

My question is how is this set up equipment wise? For audio only podcast, as of right now we use MacBook Pro with audacity or garage band and a mixer. We can have guests in audio wise using Skype but to do it I have to use my iMac as the Skype computer and use a mix minus set up ( which I don't really understand but have gotten it to work).

With our usual video we just record using our DSLR (GH4) and a shotgun mic really close to us and it works out well. How can I put all of this stuff into use to have a guest on google hangouts live to youtube?

Looking around it looks like to use a DSLR we will have to have a Black Magic Intensity to use the DSLR. Im not exactly sure how this works but what are the audio options? Can you somehow connect the mixer to the DSLR for all 3 of our mics or do we just continue to use the Rode shotgun mic?

Bonus question: if we are on hangouts with the interviewee how do we hear the interviewee? Is there way to bring our headphone amp in play if using the mixer is an option.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Give the guy who set up Las Vegas Golden Knights live feed for the name release. I hear he's looking for a job
Old 12-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I can only speak to the audio side of your project. I am a sound mixer in film/tv and recently did my first Facebook Live video - if you go to the Dragons Den FB page and look for the Manjit Minhaus clip you'll see how it turned out. edit: https://www.facebook.com/dragonsden/...5770519484988/

For this I used all my pro gear, but then interfaced with an iPhone using a iRig Pro. The iRig is mono, and because I only had two people on camera and it was unscripted I mostly just left both their mics live - potting either down whenever it felt like one would be talking for a while. The iRig also comes with a USB output cable allowing you to interface with a computer, so I think it could be good for what you're looking to do.

I'd definitely recommend trying to get a mic on each of your talent. Whether that's mics on stands in front of them, or a lav mic on each, it will make a huge difference to the quality of your production. If you are running a how-to style video where the visuals are most important, than people are more forgiving with bad audio. Interviews and the such need good sound or people tune out (unless it's the most riveting content ever).

Do you have someone operating camera/audio for you? Or is it a set it and forget it kind of thing? Ideally I would set up a signal chain in one of the following ways:

Talent Mics > Mixer > iRig> iPhone or Computer
Talent Mics > Mixer > GH4

In either scenario it would be great to have someone capable mixing on the fly. All it takes is one person to start coughing/scratching/fiddling and the noise they're making will be over everyone's audio if the mic is left open.

There are a few ways to interface with the GH4. You can get a cable that takes two XLR outputs from your mixer and brings them to a mini connector; or you can get a DSLR audio mixer similar to a Tascam DR60.

I could literally talk sound all day long, so feel free to reply here with any questions or take it to PM if you prefer.

Last edited by BsFaninCGY; 12-03-2016 at 11:07 AM.
BsFaninCGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wish I would have found you when we started the podcast. The sound thing plagued us for a while.

We do have a mics on each of our talent. 3 people = 3 mics. We use 2 Shure SM7's and a SM58 ( we have 4 of these for extra guests). On our general audio podcast we use:

Mics>Mixer>Macbook Pro

We also do Facebook Live on every episode. For the sound to that

Mics>Mixer>Headphone Amp>Ipad for Facebook Live

Here is our recent FB live :https://www.facebook.com/BeerLeagueT...1692745536806/

Here is our youtube of the same episode:
For Youtube we use GH4 on a Tripod with a Rode Shotgun mice attached on Top
https://youtu.be/_4USGdX-sKo

Ok so now back to the question at hand:
The Camera for this would still be on a Tripod. The interviewee would be connecting to the video via hangouts.

I also have a Zoom H6. I have connected that to my Canon 7D to use Microphones with it. Im assuming that this can be connected to the GH4 too.

I guess it would look like:
Audio In
3 Mics > Zoom H6 > GH4

Audio Out ( so we can hear what's being said)

GH4 > Headphone Amp > Headphones

The hard part here is the interviewee connected via Google Hangouts. There's going to have to be a mix/minus set up so The interviewee can hear us , we can hear them but the mix doesn't send their voice back to them.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hmm...are you sure those descriptions you mentioned are right? To me it sounds like the FB was using the iPad's internal mic (everyone sound very roomy); and the YT vid sounded like all 3 mics - much more present.

Just so I'm clear - this airs live? You don't record it and then upload? And you want all sources (your mics + interviewee mics + anybody connecting via videos mics) to be imbedded in your video recording on 2 separate cameras (iPad & GH4), but are trying to eliminate feedback to the person connecting via Google Hangouts?

Do you have a separate mixer, or is the Zoom it?
Old 12-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Hmm...are you sure those descriptions you mentioned are right? To me it sounds like the FB was using the iPad's internal mic (everyone sound very roomy); and the YT vid sounded like all 3 mics - much more present.

Just so I'm clear - this airs live? You don't record it and then upload? And you want all sources (your mics + interviewee mics + anybody connecting via videos mics) to be imbedded in your video recording on 2 separate cameras (iPad & GH4), but are trying to eliminate feedback to the person connecting via Google Hangouts?

Do you have a separate mixer, or is the Zoom it?

For the Facebook live we have a cord running from our headphone amp to the iPad.

The Youtube video is our GH4 with Rode VideoMic Pro Compact VMP Shotgun Microphone on the top of it. I just pulled the video straight to iMovie, added the intros, and exported. We do not record live on Youtube at this point but we are trying to find out how to do this.

I have a Mixer (Yorkville VGM14) and a Zoom H6. We are using the mixer to record our audio cast (beerleaguetalk.libsyn.com). We only use the H6 when we aren't able to record in our "studio".
Old 12-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been experimenting with this for Fireside Chat, as well as a few of my other projects. Like anything, there are a few different ways you can go.

The Easy Way
If you can get one laptop and a few different webcams, you can put each camera on a tripod, and use a virtual switcher like ManyCam to switch from camera to camera. You can save this video, or stream directly to Facebook or YouTube.

For audio, I'd get an mixing board like this one which lets you have up to 4 XLR mics plugged in, and then plug that into your CPU via USB.

If you want to throw around some other ideas, PM me. I have a few more ways too.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm not familiar with google Hangouts, and this would definitely need to be tested, but m y thought would be:

3 talent mics into mixer
Audio output from computer running Google Hangout into mixer

Use Aux Sends out of your mixer to send just your talent mics to the input on the computer running Google Hangout. This way, they only get your voices and not theirs.

Take the XLR outputs of the mixer to feed your camera. The Monitor out can be used to feed the iPad.

I would double check your setup tho because what you're describing doesn't sound right at all for those two videos you posted. It may be what was intended, but I don't think it's what was recorded.