Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default "Smart" watches?

When I first heard of these, they struck me as a bit of a gimick. Was in BB last week and saw a table full of them and messed around with the first one I picked up. I dunno, they almost seem.....functional? Fairly easy to navigate, display some useful info. I'm somewhat intrigued now. Some even appear to be able to take some water exposure which may be nice for swimming laps.

Anyone have one? What type? Would you recommend them?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a Moto 360 Version 2. I like it for the notifications and call screening without digging my phone out of my pocket.

I used the fitness apps very sparingly at the start, but that was never a draw for me to them in the first place. I never use the voice functions as they seem slow through the watch.

I still find that anything that it needs to talk to the phone for has a small delay and I haven't found that many additional useful apps to make further use of it.

I get up to 2 days of battery life, and the wireless charging dock is very simple. I never slept with a watch on anyway, so the only additional hassle is I have to bring the dock when travelling.

Overall, it does everything I wanted out of it though, which is to look nice, tell me the time and bring my notifications to my wrist. I would expect that this year's watches are much faster and may have a few more features, but watches I think they are still very much non-essential tech items.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the one I am looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/iMCO-CoWatch-...01H5YX9HO?th=1
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

i bought the Huawei Smart Watch from another CP member. It works great. The greatest limitation to me using it everyday is that I have to remember to charge it daily.

Many of them are also hard to see in the sun unless an e-ink option like Pebble but then you don't get the nice graphics.

It's really nice to get all my notifications on my watch since I can just glance at my wrist and see texts, social media messages, emails, etc. when they arrive.

When I do have my watch on, I almost never take my phone out of my pocket.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #5
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I have a Pebble Steel smartwatch. I got it for mostly notifications, so I haven't had much interest in the other ones. And being able to hold a charge for 7+ days has been the best part. I'd say if you can find one that has a 7 day charge and it has most of the features you want, I'd go for that over a fancy one that dies every other day.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I had a pebble for a while. I found it just added clutter to my day. Another cable. Another thing to charge. Another thing to bother me with notifications. A hunk of plastic strapped to my arm (after going watchless 15 years ago). Glad I sold it - waste of money IMO.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
iamajai
Draft Pick

I have a Pebble Time and used the original Pebble before that. I like the long battery life (5-6 days) and the unobtrusive notifications. It allows me to keep my phone on silent and no vibration at all times. My phone can stay in my pocket or jacket while I'm working or in meetings and not be distracting. I'm on call and when my phone rings during the night my wrist vibrates me awake and doesn't wake up my wife. The step and sleep counter are interesting, but not overly useful and I like that I can take it swimming without worrying about it.
It's been very useful for me.
iamajai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Samsung Gear 2 Classic and love it. Looks stylish, has all the functions I need, comfortable, and lasts me 3 days without a charge. It has a magnetic charging dock which is super convenient.

It's fantastic to get all notifications on my wrist, especially during meetings. I can just glance at my watch, tap on a text or email, and check out the jist of it to see if it is important. It's just a really handy companion to my phone.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Charging....hadn't thought of that. Good to keep in mind. I really need to go back and find the one I was looking at. It was nice as it wasn't too big and the circular face had a ring around its perimeter to change to from weather/time/texts etc. Struck me as an easy way to navigate. Was hoping to find something I could swim with but most seem to have a limit of a half hour of water exposure.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smart-watches do nothing for me.

But a smart strap? I could work with that.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Charging....hadn't thought of that. Good to keep in mind. I really need to go back and find the one I was looking at. It was nice as it wasn't too big and the circular face had a ring around its perimeter to change to from weather/time/texts etc. Struck me as an easy way to navigate. Was hoping to find something I could swim with but most seem to have a limit of a half hour of water exposure.
My Moto360 stopped working when I showered with it. Once. They wouldn't warranty it
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #12
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got the garmin Vivoactive only because it has a golf gps in it. Turns out it is pretty good basic smart watch too. More geared for activity. Running, cycling, even swimming. It does give notifications for texts etc. Can add hiking, weather apps and such. Charge lasts all week unless using heavy gps.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #13
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have the Garmin Fenix 3. Love it. Tracks pretty much everything. Skiing, biking, hiking, running, SUP, swimming, rowing, etc. Has Altimeter, Barometer, compass. It links to my phone so I can see incoming calls and messages. Controls the music on my phone. I have the Garmin Virb Ultra 30 camera, and I can control it with the watch as well. Lasts for a week to three weeks depending on how much I'm using the GPS.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:05 AM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Rotating the bezel to control the watch is only in the Samsung Gear S2 and S3 watches. They are pretty good but they run on Samsung's Tizen OS and I find there is a significantly lower selection of apps, watch faces, and other customisation.

I would go for Android Wear OS watches because the Android market is huge and there are hundreds of thousands of watch faces and applications that work with Android.

That's another good point that your smart watch consideration might depend on what phone you have. The above posters talked about Garmin. That's another consideration. Do you want a sports watch? Do you want a classy watch? What is it you are looking for?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #15
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree - be clear on why you want a smart watch, especially if you don't normally wear a watch now.

I had 3 main criteria: something that would replace my golf watch (to give me yardages), something to track my laps in the pool, and something that would give me notifications from my phone.

There were pretty much only 2 watches that did all this: Garmin vivoactive (HR and non-HR), and the Garmin Fenix.

The Vivoactive non-HR is the older model, and the Fenix is twice the price as the Vivoactive HR, so it was a no-brainer for me. I think I've seen the Vivoactive HR for just over $200 on a Black Friday deal, which is phenomenal - they are around $350 regular.

Since getting the watch, I've been extremely happy with how it met my 3 criteria, and also have come to appreciate the step and stair tracking, gps routes on hikes and runs, and the heartrate and sleep monitoring. Also, being waterproof takes out any worry when I'm at the pool or beach.

My main gripe is minor: You set your units to metric or imperial, and that affects everything. I like to track my swims in metric, but my golf distances in yards. They've pushed out a few updates since I got the watch - hope this one makes it into a future update.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #16
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
The Vivoactive non-HR is the older model, and the Fenix is twice the price as the Vivoactive HR, so it was a no-brainer for me. I think I've seen the Vivoactive HR for just over $200 on a Black Friday deal, which is phenomenal - they are around $350 regular.
Just following up: Costco is selling the Vivoactive HR for $229 at their Black Friday sale.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #17
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the original Pebble. Like others, I can keep the phone in my pocket and just allow the selected notifications to pass through to the watch. I like the choices of watchfaces, I prefer the ones that pass the weather through so I have an idea what is happening outside. I also use it for golf GPS. Well, it uses the phone, but that is in my pocket so it passes the yardages to the phone and seems to work pretty well. A friend has a Garmin golf watch and we are always within a yard of each other. Being able to go for a week without charging is great too. And when you do charge it doesn't take long.

My original is getting a little long in the tooth so I'm keeping any eye out for any sales on Pebble this season. I'd like to get a Pebble2 SE - I'm not interested in the heart rate monitor.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #18
Danijam
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I had a pebble for a while. I found it just added clutter to my day. Another cable. Another thing to charge. Another thing to bother me with notifications. A hunk of plastic strapped to my arm (after going watchless 15 years ago). Glad I sold it - waste of money IMO.
Glad you enjoyed your gift, Sliver. 😑
Danijam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #19
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a Fenix 3 HR yesterday. Really like it so far, although I'm not used to wearing a watch.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #20
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

After a ton of looking around, I think I may wait till this gets developed a bit more. Looked at everything BB had and the only thing of interest was the Samsung G2 but that's an older model and reviews are OK but not great.

Went online at home and did more research. The Moto 360 Gen2 looked ok but man that thing is massive and I hate the flat tire look on the screen. I think before long there will be smaller, slimmer models that have better battery life and hopefully more water proof.

There were some models I like (such as the Fossil line) but I don't want to pay $600+ at this time.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 11-25-2016 at 11:39 AM.