Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #821
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I view most of the above as being primarily a cliched version of what coaches do. Rally the troops! Refocus! Take time outs!
OK...
None of that matters if your goalie makes a damn save or your highest paid forward does anything.

Particularly when you get the post-season its the guys on the ice that have to get it done.

Easier to hate the coach then to blame the player with the cool nickname.
It has nothing to do with hating the coach or the players. Its about everyone doing their job to win in these situations. Yes, the players shoulder the responsibility, but to say the coach can't do anything in these situations is laughable. Coaching is not a passive position on the team. He shouldn't get a free pass. His team is down 3-0.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #822
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
So, in conclusion, I'd say Gulutzan does most things right except mid-game adjustments and shortening the bench late in games.

I'd like to believe he's a young coach and can learn to make these adjustments as he gets more experience.
Next season will be his fourth season as NHL head coach so he's far removed from being considered a rookie NHL head coach. I expect he will draw from his experience this season but I wouldn't expect him to deviate from rolling four lines as that's a philosophy. He rightly will be the head coach next season but the bar will be raised as he's going to have to make the playoffs and the team will have to play a lot more disciplined and fare better in the playoffs.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #823
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
So the coach just draws up the game plan and sits back with popcorn and watches the game for 2.5 hours?

How about recognizing what's going on and managing the game? Taking a time out when things are getting dicey? Throwing your best lines out there when the others aren't working?

What did Gulutzan do in the 2nd intermission to settle the team down and get them refocused after the Ducks late period goal? What did he do after the high stick goal that obviously rattled the team? What did he do between the third period and OT to help the players put the disaster behind them and realize they could still win the game?

Its not all on him but come on. He's the head coach. Rally your troops.
I don't know what he did, I wasn't in the locker room like you were. Could you enlighten us to what he did/didn't do in the intermissions? What should be have done with the highstick call? Call a timeout after the players stood around for 5 minutes while the refs looked at it?

Again, I have no idea what he said after the second period, but the Flames held the Ducks to 1 shot on net for the first 10 minutes of the third, so whatever he said to keep them focused worked.

I really fail to see where you can lay anything of these losses on the coach.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #824
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regardless of any micro analysing we can do of GG short comings, his "system" has had the Flames be the better team in 2 of 3 games in this series and IMO be almost equal to the Ducks in the 3rd.

That's not to say he doesn't have opportunities or ways he can improve, and one should suspect he will, 4th season as a coach isn't very much, but anyone who wants to pin this series on him isn't watching. His coaching isn't costing us this series, if anything it's one of the positives.

He doesn't coach the team to take dumb penalties. He doesn't control the bad calls the refs make or the fact that reviews don't go his way. He's not coaching Elliott to crap the bed, he's not coaching the fact that he doesn't have a great back up option on his bench, he's not coaching Hamilton to be off his game.

This team has been ready to play each night, and they are controlling the play more often then not against a very good Ducks team. Might be a bit of an overstatement, but coaches job is done at that point.

Anyone wanting to blame GG for this is either trying to justify a previous opinion they stated that they didn't like the hire or wanted him gone after the slow start and is now trying to use this latest fall to say "I told you so", or they just don't like him cause he's not an animated coach, or they just aren't watching the games.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #825
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
It has nothing to do with hating the coach or the players. Its about everyone doing their job to win in these situations. Yes, the players shoulder the responsibility, but to say the coach can't do anything in these situations is laughable. Coaching is not a passive position on the team. He shouldn't get a free pass. His team is down 3-0.
Should Joe Quenneville, one of (if not) the best coach in the game?

Calgary has outplayed Anaheim soundly the past two games. Can't put 0-3 on the coach when bad bounces cause his goalie to fall apart in the third. Gulutzan has line matched well and used that to adapt after Game 1.

Blaming Gully is ridiculous.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #826
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gulutzan has shown a troubling inability to adapt during a game. He's commented that he doesn't talk to players during or after the game, but waits until the next day. It sounds like he comes up with a game plan before the game, then stands there and watches the game, and saves and comments or adjustments until the next day.

If he doesn't learn to be flexible and adapt his tactics, ice time, lines etc. in-game, he's not going to have a very long career in this league.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #827
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I have no idea how this would be on the coach. At this point the players have shown they can play and execute their system. If they have a lack of resiliency - how is that on the coach?
Coaches job is to ensure his players are best prepared as possible. With the amount of times something works against the Flames favour, they tend to not have the ability to bounce back. It's not something that's measurable by an exact action, but the coach has to be able to figure out ways to keep his team composed and still hold strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
uh, this pretty much illustrates why you don't know what you are talking about.

Calgary's top lines are getting ####ing roasted out there and you think the flames should be playing them even more?

Ferland -3
Gaudreau -2
Backlund -2
Monahan -2
Tkachuk -2

Versteeg - even, 3pts.
Monahan has been the guy that's been most productive in this series. And those are the players generating chances this series also. And you have to rely on them to be the ones to make the most. That's where your talent is. Your forth line and third parings are not going to do that.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #828
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Should Joe Quenneville, one of (if not) the best coach in the game?

Calgary has outplayed Anaheim soundly the past two games. Can't put 0-3 on the coach when bad bounces cause his goalie to fall apart in the third. Gulutzan has line matched well and used that to adapt after Game 1.

Blaming Gully is ridiculous.

We can only hope that Gulutzan one day achieves what Quennville has.

There's plenty of blame to go around when you fall apart as badly as the Flames did last night and are down 3-0 in the series. There's absolutely no doubt that Elliott's performance was sub par to say the least. I also blame the veterans on the club for being unable to bring a more stabilizing presence to the team when things are getting tense.

But I'm also not going to sit here and say everything was perfect behind the bench. Am I saying fire Gulutzan? No. Will he be here next season? Yes. But at times I would like to see a bit more direct leadership from the coaching staff. I know others don't think that's their role, I just disagree. I think there was opportunity to settle the team down last night.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #829
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Gulutzan has shown a troubling inability to adapt during a game. He's commented that he doesn't talk to players during or after the game, but waits until the next day. It sounds like he comes up with a game plan before the game, then stands there and watches the game, and saves and comments or adjustments until the next day.

If he doesn't learn to be flexible and adapt his tactics, ice time, lines etc. in-game, he's not going to have a very long career in this league.
So now we are stretching his no talking to players after a game into during the game as well. Interesting.

Gulutzan was tarred for mixing up the lines late in games one and 2 but now he's guilty of not adapting.

This is such baloney. The guy doesn't have skates on and there are 20 guys that do. Gulutzan is the reason this sad sack team is even in the playoffs to begin with and suddenly the guy doesn't know what he's doing in game?

I find these kinds of criticisms to be idiotic unless you have specific scenarios you'd like to lay out where it was a no brainier to do something.

I would say moving ferland the defensive Liability off the top line and putting on the only player who can win a draw onto the top line in the final 7 minutes to be an in game adaptation bit what the #### do I know?

Seriously, the coach? If only it were for Gulutzan the flames would be back to their old ways of being a perennial cup contender and world beaters? After all, this is the same team that cruised to a presidents trophy win and division title, right?

That damned Gulutzan, if it wasn't for him us flames Fan's could get back to toasting our winning ways.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 04-18-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #830
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
So, in conclusion, I'd say Gulutzan does most things right except mid-game adjustments and shortening the bench late in games.

I'd like to believe he's a young coach and can learn to make these adjustments as he gets more experience.
This...and not even late in the game. Too much simply rolling the lines.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #831
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the team has been playing for Gulutzan in a long time. They tried his way in the beginning and now they just do what they want on the ice.

They at least look motivated and disorganized instead of unmotivated and disorganized.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #832
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don't think the team has been playing for Gulutzan in a long time. They tried his way in the beginning and now they just do what they want on the ice.

They at least look motivated and disorganized instead of unmotivated and disorganized.
lol

Nice.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #833
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #834
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised the anti- Gulutzan crew hasn't renewed their contentious chorus of how Boudreau should have been hired by the Flames instead of Glen.

Oh wait...
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #835
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playoffs are different than the doldrums of an 82 game season. How often do you hear the word "out-coached" during the regular season? It does beg the question as to where we might be with a McLellan, Babock, or bald guy behind the bench right now.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:54 PM   #836
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Playoffs are different than the doldrums of an 82 game season. How often do you hear the word "out-coached" during the regular season? It does beg the question as to where we might be with a McLellan, Babock, or bald guy behind the bench right now.
I'm not worried about Gulutzan or his system. It seems to work, and the players play it. This series has seen the Flames carry the majority of the play and out shoot/chance one o f the better teams in the league.

I wonder more where we might be if we had a goalie who didn't let in half a dozen floaters from outside scoring areas over the course of three games. This includes goals where he gives up a big fat juicy rebound into the slot from one of those floaters as well.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #837
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He system is fine, his in game adjustments are not. He refuses to break up struggling lines until it's too late. And he doesn't know when the right time to take timeouts are.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post: