Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who is more dominant at their sport, the All Blacks or Team Canada?

I am a big fan of both hockey and rugby and was wondering, right now, who is the more dominant team, the New Zealand All Blacks at rugby or Team Canada at hockey?

The All Blacks: Winners of the last two World Cups and on a 15 game winning streak.

Team Canada: Winners of the last two Olympics and on a 153game winning streak.

I am going to lean towards the ABs. They have been blowing every team out recently and during their winning streak only one game was close. Canada on the other hand had closer games and needed a couple OT wins to keep their streak going.

It is very tough to compare however as the ABs play much more often and hockey games can be kept close by a hot goalie (see Latvia).

Last edited by FireGilbert; 09-22-2016 at 07:50 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 11:59 PM   #2
ChuckieNZ
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm biased, but for me it's the All Blacks AINEC. They are blowing world class teams out (Wales, Australia, Argentina, South Africa recently) and this is all happening since the retirement of McCaw, Carter, Nonu, Smith & Mealamu. The depth of New Zealand rugby is unmatched by any nation in that they can replace a world class player like Dan Carter as an example, with another world class player in Beauden Barrett, and not skip a beat. In fact, it could be argued they have upped their game even further since the World Cup.

Not saying that Canada isn't dominant, but I see the ABs as being on a whole 'nother level.
ChuckieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChuckieNZ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 12:10 AM   #3
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckieNZ View Post
I'm biased, but for me it's the All Blacks AINEC. They are blowing world class teams out (Wales, Australia, Argentina, South Africa recently) and this is all happening since the retirement of McCaw, Carter, Nonu, Smith & Mealamu. The depth of New Zealand rugby is unmatched by any nation in that they can replace a world class player like Dan Carter as an example, with another world class player in Beauden Barrett, and not skip a beat. In fact, it could be argued they have upped their game even further since the World Cup.

Not saying that Canada isn't dominant, but I see the ABs as being on a whole 'nother level.
Everything you just said is the same for Hockey Canada. They are blowing out everyone in best on best competitions and half their roster could turn over and it wouldn't make a difference. They lost Benn and Seguin, doesn't even matter. They could probably put a second team in the tournament and still finish 1-2.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

This needs a thread?!
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:28 AM   #5
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

It's easier to blowout a team in Rugby than Hockey. Really hard to compare across sports, especially in a category like this. Both teams are about as dominant as can be at this moment.

That being said - the United States football team (if there was one) would be far more dominant than either.

The Canadian hockey team should start doing something In the spirit of NZs Hakka, just to intimidate their opponents.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:48 AM   #6
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
This needs a thread?!
Great comment, thanks for the solid contribution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
It's easier to blowout a team in Rugby than Hockey. Really hard to compare across sports, especially in a category like this. Both teams are about as dominant as can be at this moment.

That being said - the United States football team (if there was one) would be far more dominant than either.

The Canadian hockey team should start doing something In the spirit of NZs Hakka, just to intimidate their opponents.
I didn't want to compare sports where there is only one good team with no international competition. Aussie Rules Football would be another example.

I think Rugby and hockey are a decent comparison. Rugby is a little deeper but both sports have one dominant team, ~3 good teams and ~4 competitive teams.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:12 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
This needs a thread?!
Good job padding your post count. Get it up there! Dont quit and shine on you diamond!

He's right though, I cant believe we wasted our money on a thread like this. Getting our refund is going to be tough. Its a shame these damned threads are so goddamned expensive!!!

In other, more 'thread-related news' I think this is actually a cool question.

Both Hockey and Rugby are sports that are fairly limited by their participation demographics.

Both sports have limited participation, they dont have 30 team World Cups, and its all about cycling talent in and out over their useful playing periods.

I'd actually call it a dead heat, but I'd be tempted to tip my hat to New Zealand Rugby as I think they've done it for longer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:27 AM   #8
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can put US basketball in there too. I know some wins have been close for them but if they put out their best players it wouldn't even be close. Likes of James, Curry, Westbrook, Paul, Davis etc weren't even at the Olympics yet they still won the gold.

I'm not familiar with rugby much at all so can't compare ABs to Canada/Hockey, USA/basketball.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:31 AM   #9
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think of the All Blacks vs Wales is a really telling measure of the All Blacks dominance.

Wales hasn't beaten the All Blacks since 1953. They have played 33 matches in their history, not including split squad games.

Wales is currently ranked 5th in the World at Rugby. They have been consistently ranked in the top 10 worldwide.

To put that in perspective, imagine Canada going on a 65 year winning streak against a team like the Czech Republic or Slovakia

If I also recall correctly, there have only ever been 5 countries that have beaten New Zealand at rugby as well.

So in any sport, i'm not sure you can rival the All Blacks longevity as being the top dog as the All Blacks dominance is measured in decades, not years.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #10
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I think a Canadian Haka would be having the post-game handshake before the puck drop. With lots of "excuse me" and "I'm sorry", and a box of donuts presented to the other team's bench.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #11
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know enough about rugby, but from what I've been told from rugby friends when I was in college, aren't the All Blacks famous for usually choking late in tournaments historically? If that's the case, it's gotta be Canada.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I don't know enough about rugby, but from what I've been told from rugby friends when I was in college, aren't the All Blacks famous for usually choking late in tournaments historically? If that's the case, it's gotta be Canada.
They did in the 90's during getting spanked by the French was an amazing game to watch. But that isn't the story. In international play, all time, they have won 420 of 545 games played (77% success).

Their standing in the last 10+ years is amazing

I would say it is very close.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #13
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

All Blacks for sure. They just roll everyone.

Even in 2010 Canada were a bit of a disaster as Babcock started this system of taking star centers and fitting them into roles and it took time. This group has become very comfortable now in 2016 so they look dominant. However I think a best of 3 against Sweden could go either way.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
I think a Canadian Haka would be having the post-game handshake before the puck drop. With lots of "excuse me" and "I'm sorry", and a box of donuts presented to the other team's bench.
Thornton and Burns should just stand at the red line and start combing their beards while the rest of the team skates around with brooms chanting and sweeping up the debris.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I don't know but it makes it way less fun to watch.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I don't know but it makes it way less fun to watch.
I find that it depends on the game. Watching the All-Blacks is a treat, its text-book Rugby.

Also, the game is usually always meaningful and Rugby doesnt come with an intensity-dial, if you're on the field playing you are going 100% because there are 10 other guys just waiting to take your spot.

In Hockey with Team Canada, I see what you're saying, because once Canada is up 2 or 3 to zip the game is dead and buried, they start killing time and the intensity falls off a cliff, but I dont find that to be the case with Rugby.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #17
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah I was referring to Canada as I've never watched Rugby (before the olympics that is, man that was awesome!).

2010 was the last time I felt really invested in watching Canada play. The game against Latvia in 2014 was intense too but they breezed through the rest of that tournament.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #18
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
They did in the 90's during getting spanked by the French was an amazing game to watch. But that isn't the story. In international play, all time, they have won 420 of 545 games played (77% success).

Their standing in the last 10+ years is amazing

I would say it is very close.
Canada has also had a pretty big habit of choking in big tournaments in the past (World Cup '96, Nagano, Turin).
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Yeah I was referring to Canada as I've never watched Rugby (before the olympics that is, man that was awesome!).

2010 was the last time I felt really invested in watching Canada play. The game against Latvia in 2014 was intense too but they breezed through the rest of that tournament.
dunno the Us semifinal was pretty nervous

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #20
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Canada has also had a pretty big habit of choking in big tournaments in the past (World Cup '96, Nagano, Turin).
Fair comment.

I guess with the All Blacks even in the years they pooped the bed at the RWC, they were still dominated during tours (incoming and outgoing) visuallyTM it looked worse. International hockey is player so infrequently that you don't get that ongoing comparison.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote