Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #61
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-11-2016 at 01:43 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #62
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Regardless of the cover I don't understand why I haven't been able to enjoy playing NHL for two years (NHL 15 and 16). I just don't find it fun at all, super frustrating and get easily annoyed (the one exception is playing with friends in the room but that's any game).

For F sake I play a soccer game, which i don't totally love as a sport, and have a blast playing it compared to EA NHL.

Maybe I'm just old? I'm not getting on board this year or until by some miracle it's proven to be an enjoyable and fun experience.
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #63
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't the NHL brand their least selling brand so it gets the least amount of development?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #64
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Isn't the NHL brand their least selling brand so it gets the least amount of development?
Yup. Even college bball does better I believe
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #65
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It might sell less than other games but nhl16 has still sold close to a million copies which is probably close to $70 million in revenue. They could probably afford to do more than what they do, which is essentially nothing more than a roster update every year. Be a GM hasn't been touched in five years, in fact it has gotten worse. But they know that we have no other choice because they are the only game in town so I guess good for them?
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #66
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
It might sell less than other games but nhl16 has still sold close to a million copies which is probably close to $70 million in revenue. They could probably afford to do more than what they do, which is essentially nothing more than a roster update every year. Be a GM hasn't been touched in five years, in fact it has gotten worse. But they know that we have no other choice because they are the only game in town so I guess good for them?
This is an argument I never understand. I could tell you within a minute if I was playing 2016 or 2015. Claiming the only changes they make over the years are roster related is peculiar. It's totally cool if you enjoy one of the older games, but to say you can't notice a difference is almost unbelievable.

I honestly think until you're in the chair of a developer you can't really say "they could probably do more". I liked that they brought fans into the process last year to help them debug and offer insight. They all mentioned how surprised they were at how small the team was and how much work had to be done in a short time. Even people in the industry (Colin Moriarty comes to mind) who have spent time in the office are quick to dispel the myth of the lazy developer.

All that being said, I definitely agree with the notion that this should be a franchise that only updates every 2 years, and I think we'll probably get to that point in the next 5 years.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #67
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The scourge of EA's sports games in recent years, but especially NHL (due to it's lower budget overall) is the stupid micro-transaction based "ultimate team" modes. I'd wager they make significantly more revenue from that than they even do from base sales of the game, so it becomes almost the entire focus of the dev team. Stuff like Be A GM or Be A Pro will never see any TRUE improvement or innovation because they don't make any money off of it after the game is released.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #68
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The scourge of EA's sports games in recent years, but especially NHL (due to it's lower budget overall) is the stupid micro-transaction based "ultimate team" modes. I'd wager they make significantly more revenue from that than they even do from base sales of the game, so it becomes almost the entire focus of the dev team. Stuff like Be A GM or Be A Pro will never see any TRUE improvement or innovation because they don't make any money off of it after the game is released.
Which is a damn shame, because at that point they're developing the game for the 1% of their audience that keeps giving them money. Good for the financials, but disappointing for everybody else. I'd love to know what percentage of those who bought the game have spent more than $60 on DLC.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #69
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
It is too bad. In the expansion draft year, if they make a Be A GM mode where you can start as the expansion team (pick from the rest of the league's unprotected players) and grind your way up with the worst players (no offense Andrew Brunette) then I would buy the game (and a next gen system to play it on).
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #70
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I wonder how much they make off of HUT because I am betting its a pretty large amount.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:43 AM   #71
J79
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloper View Post
I wonder how much they make off of HUT because I am betting its a pretty large amount.
Not only HUT, but Ultimate Team in general (HUT, FUT, MUT)

http://gamerant.com/electronic-arts-dlc-revenue-123/

Quote:
EA chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen reveals that EA makes over a billion dollars a year directly from extra content alone, with half coming from one series alone.

Jorgensen made the claim while speaking at an investor conference earlier in the day, detailing the successes of EA‘s extra content category, which includes things like map packs, season passes, and other microtransactions. According to Jorgensen, the company’s decision to prioritize extra downloadable content for each of its big releases has been one of the most profitable in recent memory. Jorgensen said during the conference:

“The extra content business is a billion-three [$1.3 billion] a year…half of that is roughly our Ultimate Team business.”

Although the news that EA is making a lot of money from DLC is nothing particularly surprising, the amount is staggering, and it continues to be driven by the Ultimate Team microtransaction service within each EA Sports franchise. Ultimate Team is the largest contributor to the earnings in extra content, and is key to the NHL, Madden, and FIFA franchises. Ultimate Team allows players to buy, trade, and sell player cards to each other for real or in-game money.

For what it’s worth, Jorgensen believes that the explanation for the success of Ultimate Team is simple. He believes that it’s human nature for people to want to collect and trade, but that the driving force behind Ultimate Team is that players will “typically pay money to beat their friends”. That competitive spirit is likely made even more intense by the nature of the EA Sports franchises.

The other categories of digital revenue that exist under the giant shadow of the Ultimate Team juggernaut include mobile ($650 million), subscription services ($300-400 million) and digital downloads, which, while not as impressive financially as the other categories, account for 25 percent of game copies sold overall. Those figures might be part of the reason EA is skipping E3 2016‘s traditional showfloor for an online showcase of the company’s games a day before the actual event.

While the extra content numbers are financially significant to EA and shouldn’t be discounted, the publisher is in line for another prominent few years at the top of the video game industry whether fans like it or not. While it’s still a ways off, EA will be releasing Mass Effect: Andromeda in early 2017, and Electronic Arts is likely going to reveal more information about a new Battlefield title and Titanfall 2 by the time its EA Play livestream rolls around in June.

Source: IGN
J79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #72
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

that's nuts.

I hate HUT..... don't invest any actual $ into it, though i do spend some time at the initial release (when online is still kinda fun, like a month) playing the mode.

I will add that in madden, the 'draft champion' mode is a lot of fun. "quick building" a team that you are only invested in for a short number of games is really intriguing. Also allows you to play with really fun high end cards, without the need to invest countless hours/$'s to get by playing traditional HUT.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #73
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
It is too bad. In the expansion draft year, if they make a Be A GM mode where you can start as the expansion team (pick from the rest of the league's unprotected players) and grind your way up with the worst players (no offense Andrew Brunette) then I would buy the game (and a next gen system to play it on).
If the first trailer is to be believed, it would appear you'll need to start saving some pennies.

Feature list revealed: https://www.easports.com/nhl/features

It's a bit unclear if you can have an expansion franchise in GM mode or if you can just move a pre-existing one. Hoping for the former.

Last edited by Russic; 06-07-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #74
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like no create a team either. Disappointing.
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #75
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
If the first trailer is to be believed, it would appear you'll need to start saving some pennies.

Feature list revealed: https://www.easports.com/nhl/features

It's a bit unclear if you can have an expansion franchise in GM mode or if you can just move a pre-existing one. Hoping for the former.

Quote:
FRANCHISE MODE
Fan-favorite Be a GM mode expands to complete control of an entire franchise with the addition of unique team owners. Control your favorite team and lead them to Stanley Cup glory by managing the team and the business behind the scenes. Make game-changing decisions from player personnel, ticket prices, marketing, arena upgrades, and even relocation – all from under the watchful eye of a demanding owner with challenging goals.
Quote:
WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY
For the first time in EA SPORTS NHL history, play for national pride in a full International Tournament Mode. Featuring all of the official World Cup of Hockey teams, players and uniforms, take to the ice on a world stage as your national team and heroes.
World Cup of Hockey will be fun for a bit.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #76
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post

Quote:
WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY
For the first time in EA SPORTS NHL history, play for national pride in a full International Tournament Mode. Featuring all of the official World Cup of Hockey teams, players and uniforms, take to the ice on a world stage as your national team and heroes.
World Cup of Hockey will be fun for a bit.
See, here is where EA rubs people the wrong way. This is not even close to the first time they have had a full international tournament mode. I think they have had it in there as recently as 13 or 14.

The Franchise mode looks interesting, and is LOOOOONG overdue. My pessimism is preparing me for the fact that it is fundamentally broken (as it is typically every time they introduce, or re-introduce, a feature), but it will be fun to play around with some new features until I discover those flaws.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #77
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
See, here is where EA rubs people the wrong way. This is not even close to the first time they have had a full international tournament mode. I think they have had it in there as recently as 13 or 14.

The Franchise mode looks interesting, and is LOOOOONG overdue. My pessimism is preparing me for the fact that it is fundamentally broken (as it is typically every time they introduce, or re-introduce, a feature), but it will be fun to play around with some new features until I discover those flaws.
The thing that rubbed me the wrong way last year from NHL16 was Rammer saying they'll be adding new animations/if your team performs poorly seats would be empty/ect and it wasn't added.

I agree that most introduced things didn't work last year or in previous years, ie the playoff crowds. Disappointing it didn't work in Be-A-GM mode.

I've been pushing for the last 3 seasons since the Flames 3rd has been introduced to be fixed in game, the alternate captain's A is wrong and they just keep saying it'll be fixed in the new update.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #78
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Looks like no create a team either. Disappointing.
Create a team is in NHL 17 - scroll down until you find it.

https://www.easports.com/nhl/ask?utm...4&sf46812301=1
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #79
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Yup. Even college bball does better I believe
And those games don't even exist anymore, but they still get more development cash!

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #80
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Create a team is in NHL 17 - scroll down until you find it.

https://www.easports.com/nhl/ask?utm...4&sf46812301=1
Damn. That page confirms my concern... there's relocation but no expansion. I was hoping to build a team of misfit toys cast off from the other teams.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post: