Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Jordan Sigalet or which new goalie coach? Do we need a Mitch Korn disciple?

Given the combination of a terrible save percentage this Flames season and crucial upcoming years for young goalie development (Gillies, McDonald and Schneider) in the minor system are we sure we have the right teacher/coach for these kids?

If not, who might be an alternative goalie coach to hire?

He need a Mitch Korn disciple. Quite a resume including Hasek, Rinne and now Holtby.

Nice article on his style of coaching of Holtby.

Source:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/br...with-capitals/

Excerpt: "Now, Korn, 58, has always had a few tricks up his own sleeves, as well. One of the hallmarks of his teaching comes in the innovations he sprinkles into his lessons. He’ll have his goalies make pad saves while they are holding 18-pound medicine balls to teach them about the importance of core strength. He uses white pucks, mini-pucks, screen boards, deflection boards and even blindfolds to increase difficulty, so that game situations seem easier than practice. Combining these techniques with Korn’s direct style of teaching has won him legions of followers and accomplished students, six of whom are currently goalie coaches in the NHL and others who used to hold such posts."
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes we need a new goalie coach and special teams coach
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

A bit premature for this IMO, last season the goalies were just fine and this year Ramo and Ortio resurrected themselves back to normal form. This team just needs a starting goaltender.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
A bit premature for this IMO, last season the goalies were just fine and this year Ramo and Ortio resurrected themselves back to normal form. This team just needs a starting goaltender.
Perhaps, would be interesting to understand differences in coaching style with Jordan versus Mitch. I know Jordan uses alot of video analysis.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Which goalie coach was it who developed "Head Trajectory?" I want that guy, or someone who's good with that technique.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Yes we need a new goalie coach and special teams coach
Flames power play was excellent after January. I don't think their awful special teams performance was a direct result of coaching; it is not unusual to see teams fluctuate dramatically in their pp and pk ratings from one season to the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sigalet really changed Ramo's style after the terrible start this year and Ramo was much better because of it.

I would argue that he's probably earned a short leash.

Our power play improved leaps and bounds after the terrible start this year, but the penalty kill has to be looked at.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kipper was a goalie coach for team Finland at the world juniors a couple years ago... Bring him back to Calgary to be a goalie coach... Would probably be a good fit for someone like Ortio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #9
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Which goalie coach was it who developed "Head Trajectory?" I want that guy, or someone who's good with that technique.
Here is an article that talks about Dubnyk learning it after meeting with Steve Valiquette: http://ingoalmag.com/technique/dubny...tory-and-more/
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #10
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

C'mon dude. You can only fish so much.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #11
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^^ May as well play a few games while he's here...
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Flames power play was excellent after January. I don't think their awful special teams performance was a direct result of coaching; it is not unusual to see teams fluctuate dramatically in their pp and pk ratings from one season to the next.
Not a whole lot of evidence to conclude that this team will ever have a top special teams unit given the current staff's history. Special teams under Hartley and Co. have fluctuated between terrible and average.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #13
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kipper is way to mellow to be a goaltender coach.

"you should get in the net, and be incredible, it's easy"

I'd like him to be our flexibility coach. Dude was Gumby.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #14
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can tell you from first hand experience, no one works harder than Jordan Sigalet. The guy barely goes home. He's always chopping and cropping video for his goalies, compiling shooter tendencies and instructing on techniques against those shooters. He sits up top during a game and tracks shots. Literally clicks dots on a virtual ice surface using his Macbook to track shots from every opponent. Then wakes up in the morning and compiles those dots into a workable lesson to implement into practice.

He's an incredible goalie coach and his promotion a couple of years ago was very well deserved. Get this guy a malleable young-ish starting goaltender and you'll see his work come through.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From my phone I'm unable to photoshop a green-faced, shabbily-robed Kipper riding on the back of Karri Ramo through the swamps of Dagobah. I hope someone's up to the task.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #16
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

It's not Sigalet's fault that Hiller and Ramo are not NHL starting goalies.

Give him time with a legit #1.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #17
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Working hard is one thing. Being effective is another.

How does one reconcile the idea that with a young goaltender you will see his results shine through, with the fact that the Flames had the worst goaltending in the league? And Hiller specifically was not able to improve over the course of the year? Maybe he should have been tracking shot location on the net, not in the zone. Hint: top corner

I spoke to Sigalet at a Flames function last year. I asked him a bit jokingly what advice he can give to a beer league goalie he hasn't seen play. His answer was essentially to close my eyes and hope for the best.

I didn't expect a lengthy or great response, certainly not a private goaltending tutorial. He could have said something that a beer league goalie might not know, like 'Some goalie coaches are looking at head trajectory'.

But this year I wondered if he gave the same advice to Hiller.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

while I am not a goalie, I have stolen some of mitch's ideas when coaching my son, as my logic was that his drills are different, and get the goailies away from just facing shots (even if they are purpose shots).

gets the kids thinking and they see some new drills that they may not see in other places.

I wonder if any of mitch's disciples are coaching at the major junior level or higher right now?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #19
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Working hard is one thing. Being effective is another.

How does one reconcile the idea that with a young goaltender you will see his results shine through, with the fact that the Flames had the worst goaltending in the league? And Hiller specifically was not able to improve over the course of the year? Maybe he should have been tracking shot location on the net, not in the zone. Hint: top corner

I spoke to Sigalet at a Flames function last year. I asked him a bit jokingly what advice he can give to a beer league goalie he hasn't seen play. His answer was essentially to close my eyes and hope for the best.

I didn't expect a lengthy or great response, certainly not a private goaltending tutorial. He could have said something that a beer league goalie might not know, like 'Some goalie coaches are looking at head trajectory'.

But this year I wondered if he gave the same advice to Hiller.
Sounds like sound advice to a beer league goalie. Beer league hockey is not so serious. So he's telling you to lighten up and don't take it so seriously. I think you take beer league hockey too seriously because you didn't recognize that he passed along typical beer league style humour. Had you been a young kid aspiring to be a career goalie he probably would have given you a decent tip.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #20
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Sounds like sound advice to a beer league goalie. Beer league hockey is not so serious. So he's telling you to lighten up and don't take it so seriously. I think you take beer league hockey too seriously because you didn't recognize that he passed along typical beer league style humour. Had you been a young kid aspiring to be a career goalie he probably would have given you a decent tip.
Stopping pucks makes hockey fun for beer league goalies.

Asking for advice to increase your fun seems normal to me and Sigalet could have said something useful to the guy.

If a pro-coach could assist me on an aspect of my game as a skater, that would help me enjoy hockey more.

Do you enjoy your round of golf better when you best your personal record? I know I do.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: