Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #41
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Francona has an out clause that was triggered when Shapiro left.

Would not be shocked if he came aboard.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #42
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weren't most fans calling for AA's head halfway through this season?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #43
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

And heeeeere we go.
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #44
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Will be very, very interesting to see where this goes.

AA put a team together that wasn't very far off from winning the entire thing this year after being out of the playoffs for 22 years, so to hear Shapiro was critical of his moves scares the hell out of me. I don't have a good feeling about this at all, hope I'm wrong.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #45
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only good news about this is it drastically increases the chances that Gibbons is gone.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #46
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stolen from another site...

Quote:
It is being reported that, in their first and only meeting, Shapiro scolded Anthopoulos for trading so many top prospects this year. Looks like Shapiro wants to implement the highly successful Cleveland Indians’ model of holding on to all their prospects and never winning anything.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #47
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Will be very, very interesting to see where this goes.

AA put a team together that wasn't very far off from winning the entire thing this year after being out of the playoffs for 22 years, so to hear Shapiro was critical of his moves scares the hell out of me. I don't have a good feeling about this at all, hope I'm wrong.
It was really of a miracle run. A GM making those moves at the deadline for a .500 team was crazy. That probably doesnt work most of the time.

Even if AA had stayed, don't see the Jays being that good next year as the other teams reload.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #48
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Oh no! We suck again.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to normtwofinger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #49
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It was really of a miracle run. A GM making those moves at the deadline for a .500 team was crazy. That probably doesnt work most of the time.

Even if AA had stayed, don't see the Jays being that good next year as the other teams reload.
For sure all of the Jays trades at the dead-line seemed to work great......

I agree, Jays of next year have some major issues with Pitching.

EE & Bautista are entering their last year of their contracts.

Could be an interesting off season
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #50
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Like another poster said this spells the end of Gibbons which is pleasing and if Tito comes to the Jays that would be awesome.

Oh well that's a shame that AA is gone, a new chapter for the Jays.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #51
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, but it did work. And Tulo is under control until 2022. Revere is under control until 2018. So it's not like all the moves he made were rentals, even if he was 'going for it' he still brought in some players that are going to stick around for a little while.

The entire batting order could come back next season if the Jays want. Sign a starter or two and I'm not so sure this team won't be in the thick of things. I'd be more critical of AA if he brought in all pure rentals but he didn't. Shapiro better have some great moves up his sleeves are the entire Jays nation will turn on the organization......quickly.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #52
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but it did work. And Tulo is under control until 2022. Revere is under control until 2018. So it's not like all the moves he made were rentals, even if he was 'going for it' he still brought in some players that are going to stick around for a little while.

The entire batting order could come back next season if the Jays want. Sign a starter or two and I'm not so sure this team won't be in the thick of things. I'd be more critical of AA if he brought in all pure rentals but he didn't. Shapiro better have some great moves up his sleeves are the entire Jays nation will turn on the organization......quickly.
Key is can the Jays sign David Price or Estrada? If the answer is no, they have major holes to fill.

Batting perspective, they need to find a new 1st Baseman who is a Lefty.

Other than that I like the lineup, but the pitching (Starters and Bullpen) are the concern.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #53
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

I think you risk getting into this habit of relying on the FA market every year and never developing anyone. If your FA signings fail it's a bad season followed by another offseason of more FA signings.

I think Shapiro believes Price trade will come back to haunt the Jays. Losing 3 excellent pitching prospects was a high price to pay.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #54
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I think you risk getting into this habit of relying on the FA market every year and never developing anyone. If your FA signings fail it's a bad season followed by another offseason of more FA signings.

I think Shapiro believes Price trade will come back to haunt the Jays. Losing 3 excellent pitching prospects was a high price to pay.
It was either giving up the prospects to acquire an ace to make run for the post season or it would have been 23 years since they last made the playoffs. The choice was pretty easy.

Also, that same David Price could win the Cy Young or finish second in voting atleast.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #55
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeff Blair reporting that AA will be on the conference call this morning at 11am MT.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #56
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
It was either giving up the prospects to acquire an ace to make run for the post season or it would have been 23 years since they last made the playoffs. The choice was pretty easy.

Also, that same David Price could win the Cy Young or finish second in voting atleast.

True enough. I don't think the 23 years number is really important though, need to ignore that and build properly.

I compare it to the Flames, if Treveling mortgaged the entire future for a playoff run because the Flames hasn't made the playoffs in X number of years CP would explode.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #57
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So the Jays hire a mediocre executive that costs them an above average GM. Sounds about right.

Getting Dombrowski would've been one thing, but they lost out on him. I could understand losing AA because of a guy like that. But Mark Shapiro? Give me a friggin break...
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm mixed on this. Sure he made some deadline deals that got the team on a tear but the overall body of work is somewhat underwhelming. During his time he basically built a team that was middle of the pack. Not total disaster but not a team to be contended with on an annual basis and he's never really been able to address pitching as the bullpen has been a disaster most of his time. It will be interesting to see how coveted he will be around the league and if he can do better in another organization.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #59
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
True enough. I don't think the 23 years number is really important though, need to ignore that and build properly.

I compare it to the Flames, if Treveling mortgaged the entire future for a playoff run because the Flames hasn't made the playoffs in X number of years CP would explode.
Although if X was 22 they might think differently.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #60
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Jays weren't your average .500 team. They had the best run differential in the league at the time. Even without making those trades, the team more than likely goes on a big run - you don't heavily outscore your opponents all year and fail to win ball games. It was a smart GM realizing what he had on his hands was much better than the record indicated.

There's no way Gibbons sticks around. GMs in baseball always hire their own guy. They don't beat around the bush like in hockey and wait for the incumbent coach to falter before cutting him. Gibbons probably doesn't last until the end of November.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JayP For This Useful Post: