Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #201
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Do they bill a month in advance? I seem to recall that when I first signed up.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #202
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Do they bill a month in advance? I seem to recall that when I first signed up.
That part makes sense but it shows the $48 sask plan charged both for the sask number and my Alberta number. Even though I only had the sask number for 5 days.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #203
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So. I did the Koodo plan and first bill came and it charged me twice per line. Once with the sask number then again with the ported Alberta number. Does any know if that will get fixed on the next bill? Dont really want to call in to see.
There's a bug with the Koodo system where sometimes if you port your number too quickly after changing your plan, you'll get double-billed. This will fix itself in the next the billing cycle. You can call in to get the CSR to fix it but that might draw unwanted attention.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #204
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
There's a bug with the Koodo system where sometimes if you port your number too quickly after changing your plan, you'll get double-billed. This will fix itself in the next the billing cycle. You can call in to get the CSR to fix it but that might draw unwanted attention.
Thanks! Hoped it might be something like that. Agreed I'll just let it sort itself out.

All in all, very easy to do and now saving about $75/month on 3 phones with better plans. (Daughter that had no data now has 5 gb - may not be a good thing)
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #205
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I'm currently in the waiting period before I port my number over. Won't be saving a bunch of money (maybe 10-12 a month) but I'll be getting 4 more GB of data a month. Can't complain.

Went to a booth in Chinook. Guy knew what I was doing, wouldn't give me a Sask number, but basically just said "good luck."
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #206
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So. I did the Koodo plan and first bill came and it charged me twice per line. Once with the sask number then again with the ported Alberta number. Does any know if that will get fixed on the next bill? Dont really want to call in to see.
Also had this happen to me last month. Charges reversed this month.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #207
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Alright, it's time for me to switch to this plan, Bell is costing us way too much. There's a special where it now includes 1000 international minutes to some countries, not that I'd call anyone there, but nice touch. And I think it now includes 6gb (5gb plus 1gb shock free data, whatever that means).

Are the referrals still a thing? If so, If someone can PM me a referral, I'll be using it on both mine and my girlfriends phone.

Is there a way to just buy the SIM online? Or is it best to just run into a BesBuy mobile? or koodo shop?
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #208
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

FWIW, as of last week the loophole has been closed. I did it for my phone a month ago and they my BF tried last week and they no longer allow you to change the plan to a Sask one online.

We ended up cancelling it and just getting a legit one (good sales on Black Friday) but yeah, maybe the loophole will re-open, but it's not working as of last week.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #209
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
FWIW, as of last week the loophole has been closed. I did it for my phone a month ago and they my BF tried last week and they no longer allow you to change the plan to a Sask one online.

We ended up cancelling it and just getting a legit one (good sales on Black Friday) but yeah, maybe the loophole will re-open, but it's not working as of last week.
well, crap. Terrible timing on my part!

So it sounds like the only way you'd be able to take advantage of this, is if you knew someone that worked for Koodo, that could makes the changes on their end?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #210
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

You're sure you tried to change plans after the Saskatchewan number change had gone through (new billing cycle)?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #211
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
You're sure you tried to change plans after the Saskatchewan number change had gone through (new billing cycle)?

I did, I thought maybe it was unique but i then read on Howard forums that the loophole had closed as of 2-3 days before. It worked great with the first line a month and a bit ago, but the second one around Black Friday wouldn't take. I think part of the issue is they pushed any number changes (including porting) to 90 day waiting periods.

Anyone wanting to do it can probably go there or RFD to see if people are still having success. Hopefully! The Black Friday deal was ALMOST as good so we're not too crushed by it. Still saving an incredible amount over the big guys and getting way more for it.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #212
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

One option is to just stay with the Saskatchewan number. Most plans these smears have free Canada wide long distance and text so it doesn't really matter if you have an Alberta number or a sask one.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #213
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
well, crap. Terrible timing on my part!

So it sounds like the only way you'd be able to take advantage of this, is if you knew someone that worked for Koodo, that could makes the changes on their end?
Quote:
I did, I thought maybe it was unique but i then read on Howard forums that the loophole had closed as of 2-3 days before. It worked great with the first line a month and a bit ago, but the second one around Black Friday wouldn't take. I think part of the issue is they pushed any number changes (including porting) to 90 day waiting periods.

Anyone wanting to do it can probably go there or RFD to see if people are still having success. Hopefully! The Black Friday deal was ALMOST as good so we're not too crushed by it. Still saving an incredible amount over the big guys and getting way more for it.
Not almost, it was arguably better.

On BF, they were offering the Sask plan to AB and BC customers, officially. Only conditions were, you had to call into Retentions in order to get it, and it was strictly a BYOD plan, no Tab allowed.

Unlimited nationwide calling, 5GB of data, and I got to keep the free 1000 international long distance minutes they were offering on the public plans. $48/mo!

Call in, see if they'll still do it.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #214
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

They wouldn't let me speak to retentions unless I was already a customer.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #215
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
They wouldn't let me speak to retentions unless I was already a customer.
Sounds like you got a CSR that was a prick. Try again, and say that you want to talk to Retentions about a plan that only they have access to.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #216
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I caved and gave cellphoneman.ca a try, and it went perfectly smooth. No issues at all, it's not just instructions that he provides, but he handles the whole cut-over himself, and you don't have to pay him until it's completed. The $100 I paid him for, will easily pay itself off in less than 2 months.

I suspect that he works for, or has access to the Koodo back end. In texting with him, he mentioned "We put internal notes on each account so your plans doesn't get taken away no matter if you call in or visit a store".

So if you're someone that's still trying, or wanting to switch to this plan, and don't want to do any of the manual hassle, I'd definitely recommend Cellphoneman.ca.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #217
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in Nunavut but was visiting Winnipeg. Got the Koodo Plan, actually its $48+ tax for 6GB right now (special). Brought my own phone with me but had to get a new MB number.

This koodo plan is half the cost of bell with triple the data.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #218
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
I caved and gave cellphoneman.ca a try, and it went perfectly smooth. No issues at all, it's not just instructions that he provides, but he handles the whole cut-over himself, and you don't have to pay him until it's completed. The $100 I paid him for, will easily pay itself off in less than 2 months.

I suspect that he works for, or has access to the Koodo back end. In texting with him, he mentioned "We put internal notes on each account so your plans doesn't get taken away no matter if you call in or visit a store".

So if you're someone that's still trying, or wanting to switch to this plan, and don't want to do any of the manual hassle, I'd definitely recommend Cellphoneman.ca.
I used him for my switch over. He needed my password to access my account online, so I doubt he works for Koodo. Also my phone number switched to a Quebec number for a few days, which is also consistent with him just doing it manually like I did with my son's account a while ago.

So it does save you having to do the work yourself. However there are a few things you have to setup properly, so it isn't 100% seamless. If I had another phone to do, I'd just do it myself.

It is worth noting that if you want to do this now with Quebec plans, there is a 6 GB plan for $49 right now, and an 8 GB plan for $56.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #219
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I tried to add an Unlimited US add-on to my Sask plan (with AB number), and it wouldn't let me, saying "your plan can't be changed at this time".

Has anyone been able to add-on extras to their Sask (or MB) plan?

Do you know if the unlimited texting includes texting to US numbers?

thanks
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #220
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
I tried to add an Unlimited US add-on to my Sask plan (with AB number), and it wouldn't let me, saying "your plan can't be changed at this time".

Has anyone been able to add-on extras to their Sask (or MB) plan?

Do you know if the unlimited texting includes texting to US numbers?

thanks
Not sure about the add-on as I've never tried but I have the SK plan and the texting includes US numbers
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post: