Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #41
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

My issue is more paranoia than capacity. If I lose a camera to theft or something, I can deal with that. If I lose the pictures I took a week back from the memory card on the camera, that's another story.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #42
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
My issue is more paranoia than capacity. If I lose a camera to theft or something, I can deal with that. If I lose the pictures I took a week back from the memory card on the camera, that's another story.
The Sony I bought has NFC and Wifi that can transfer photos directly to your phone. You can even use your phone as a remote for the camera and the photos will immediately transfer to your phone. You can also immediately upload to Flikr or facebook too. I think some canon models may have these features. Really handy apps.

But I do recommend the Sony A6000 to anyone looking for a small package camera with excellent features. I don't regret buying it one bit.

I say this as it is small for travel and takes great pictures.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #43
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
The Sony I bought has NFC and Wifi that can transfer photos directly to your phone. You can even use your phone as a remote for the camera and the photos will immediately transfer to your phone. You can also immediately upload to Flikr or facebook too. I think some canon models may have these features. Really handy apps.

But I do recommend the Sony A6000 to anyone looking for a small package camera with excellent features. I don't regret buying it one bit.

Thanks. I saw your original post and felt it was a little out of my desired price range. But a smaller size might be nice, and the cost isn't too much in difference. I'll look into that one too.

edit: btw did you end up buying the non-kit lens, or was the kit lens sufficient?

Last edited by nik-; 06-11-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #44
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. I saw your original post and felt it was a little out of my desired price range. But a smaller size might be nice, and the cost isn't too much in difference. I'll look into that one too.

edit: btw did you end up buying the non-kit lens, or was the kit lens sufficient?
After using the Kit Lense a bit, I found the desire to get a good wide angle zoom lense. As far as Macro to Portrait style pictures, does a great job.

Scenery pictures its a little to be desired for upon initial looks, but once you get the pictures into the photo shop and zoom in on what you want, you realize its capable.

You definitely get the desire to play with more lenses after a while. BUt as a stand alone, it does the trick.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #45
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My issue is more paranoia than capacity.
Quoting myself from a photo backup thread, but relevant none-the-less.

I go a few routes for that:

1) Multiple smaller SD cards vs one large one.
- I shoot on an 8GB card a day/every few days. Then swap and leave the full ones in the hotel room. That way if the camera bag is stolen, at least I have some of my pics.

2) Backup to the laptop.
- Laptop doesn't go with me.

3) Upload to dropbox
- Obviously only helpful if I have an internet connection

If I was really paranoid about theft I'd copy the SD card, then mail one home, or put it in another (ie checked) bag, if I wasn't staying in the same place the whole trip. I'm generally more concerned about SD card failure.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #46
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Second, what is the best way to deal with picture upload on the go if I don't want to carry a laptop around? Are there accessories that one can buy to upload pics off a smart card to something like Drive or Dropbox?
Would an eyefi card provide a solution?

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48495
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #47
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

I got the same camera about two weeks ago and can vouch for it too! I'm planning on taking it hiking, scrambling, and ski touring, so I needed something smaller than a full sized DSLR.

I've been really impressed with the pictures so far. They look OK on the camera display, but transfer them over WiFi to an iPad and they really start to pop!

(it does make me want a good zoom lens though, that's for sure)
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #48
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, after speaking to a friend that does a lot of photography, he really recommended the Olympus OM-D E-M series. A large part of it hinging on the fact that he's not a fan of Sony lenses. But after reading reviews, ignoring the lens part (which I'm aware is huge when it comes to cost relative to the body of a camera, so you don't want to have to re-buy them) I can't see any reviews that put them over the a6000 ... especially considering the price point.

Is there any validity to these lens adapters that allow you to put other manufacturers lenses on a Sony body? Or if I get to that point of wanting to get a lens collection is it time to just look at a different camera body?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #49
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I have a Metabones adapter so I can use my Canon glass. It works well and even supports autofocus (although it is pretty slow). I wouldn't buy one unless you're going to use it with lenses you already own. The exception might be the adapter for the Sony Alpha lenses.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #50
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, after speaking to a friend that does a lot of photography, he really recommended the Olympus OM-D E-M series. A large part of it hinging on the fact that he's not a fan of Sony lenses. But after reading reviews, ignoring the lens part (which I'm aware is huge when it comes to cost relative to the body of a camera, so you don't want to have to re-buy them) I can't see any reviews that put them over the a6000 ... especially considering the price point.
Yeah, looking purely at body vs body when taking value into account, it's hard to put the OMD series on top if you're a hobbyist. Still, I personally love what Olympus has done with their Mirrorless lineup. Especially things like in body image stabilization, physical controls, and of course lenses.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #51
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmm, thanks a lot guys. I'm totally new to this world, so this helps a lot.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #52
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I bought the a6000. When it stops raining I'll have to take it out for a spin and see if I'll be able to do my trip with kit lens or if I wanna invest in a jack of all trades 18-200.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2014, 04:39 AM   #53
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I bought the a6000. When it stops raining I'll have to take it out for a spin and see if I'll be able to do my trip with kit lens or if I wanna invest in a jack of all trades 18-200.
Good choice. It's a great camera.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #54
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks to this thread, I just bought an a6000. Not a single regret.
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #55
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae118 View Post
Thanks to this thread, I just bought an a6000. Not a single regret.
One of us. One of us.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #56
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
The only thing you'd really be getting from an 18-200 is more zoom. Useful for portraiture, wildlife, and detail... so it's a question of how much of that are you expecting to do.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #57
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I thought I'd drop a couple of samples of what the camera can do in the hands of a total noob. Here's a couple:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

All stock lens on the Sony A6000.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-20-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #58
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump!

I'm considering upgrading from my Canon T2i to one of the Full Frame models.

Any suggestions without me totally breaking the bank?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #59
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That really depends on how big the bank is.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #60
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Bump!

I'm considering upgrading from my Canon T2i to one of the Full Frame models.

I already mentioned this on twitter, but the selection of Canon full frame models basically falls into four models listed here.

The 1D/1D C are in the $7,000-$15,000 range... so I imagine those are out of your budget.

Which basically leaves the 6D and 5D models. For what it's worth the 5D has basically been the "gold standard" Canon full frame for a number of years. Most of the pros I know have the 5D... in fact I've never actually come across anyone shooting on the 6D.

But at $1,700 new for the body only the 6D begins to approach mortal prices when compared to the 5D Mark III at $3,200

Having said all that:
If I were looking to make the jump myself I'd be looking for used used 5D Mark II's, they seem to go around $800-$1,100 on ebay and is still considered a very capable full frame DSRL. I'd say 80-90% of the pros I know who shoot full frame Canons are on this body.

That's not to say you'll go wrong with the 6D at all, it's just not a model I have any familiarity with.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post: