Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #761
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I get you didn't like the movie and it's understandable. But that was not the plot.
Lex Luthor didn't want to use Kryptonian tech to take over the world? Doomsday didn't have the power to destroy all of Gotham and Metropolis? Sounds like Avengers 1 and 2 right there.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #762
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Really? Don't know about that. Jurassic World was generally liked, RT had it at 71% while Batman v Superman sit at a whopping 29%.
Fair enough JW wasn't just ripped to shreds but definitely got a lot of criticism for its story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I disagree. If anything BvS took too many risks. To the point the plot became incohesive. It tried to get too cute instead of focusing on the basics of film making.
Again I agree but it didnt take interesting risks or good risks. It took the shortcut kind of risks not the ambitious type. It didn't take a risk by being rated R like deadpool or directly adapting the source like Sin City or even by making more of an art house film like...well there are no art house comic book superhero movies but that's why it'd be a risk.

Complain about any marvel movie for its shortcomings but they've found a formst that works and they've stuck to it. Make the characters likeable, relatable, make the villain evil and have a clear plot and story for the hero to solve/fight for.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #763
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Fair enough JW wasn't just ripped to shreds but definitely got a lot of criticism for its story.

Again I agree but it didnt take interesting risks or good risks. It took the shortcut kind of risks not the ambitious type. It didn't take a risk by being rated R like deadpool or directly adapting the source like Sin City or even by making more of an art house film like...well there are no art house comic book superhero movies but that's why it'd be a risk.

Complain about any marvel movie for its shortcomings but they've found a formst that works and they've stuck to it. Make the characters likeable, relatable, make the villain evil and have a clear plot and story for the hero to solve/fight for.
There is an R rated cut coming out on July 16th.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #764
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
There is an R rated cut coming out on July 16th.
There sure is but that's hardly a risk.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #765
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

wrong thread

Last edited by TheyCallMeBruce; 03-27-2016 at 10:33 PM.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:54 AM   #766
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw it. Very entertaining despite some issues. Also, much better than the abomination that was Jurassic World. Don't always believe the Tomatometer!
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #767
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. If anything BvS took too many risks. To the point the plot became incohesive. It tried to get too cute instead of focusing on the basics of film making.
blankall has it right.

And ya I think we are starting to discuss details in the wrong thread, should take it over to the spoilers.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 03-28-2016 at 10:20 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #768
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Box Office Total was adjusted to 166 Million.

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-off...-3-1201740145/

That drops it behind the last Harry Potter for WB 2nd biggest opening weekend.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #769
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

It also has one of the worst drops from Friday to Sunday for comic book movies to date. This one is going to grind to a halt real fast.. I think their total budget was just over 500 million with all the marketing.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #770
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty insane to think a movie that just did $400 million in business in 3 days could end up being a disappointment, but when you need around $1 billion just to make a profit, I suppose it is a disappointment. Ideally enough of a disappointment to get a change of directors for the Justice League movie.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #771
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll come close to breaking even despite how terribly it tried to seed an entire movie universe over the course of two and a half hours instead of 4 or 5 movies. Some executive in the chain will bank on future movies in this vein being more profitable, which should doom the entire venture after another movie or two.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #772
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the bad publicity is actually working in their favour?

"They say this movie is terrible! I gotta see this!"

Where it dies is that if it is terrible that kills repeat viewership.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #773
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It needs $800 million worldwide to turn a profit, not an issue. Plus, Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad are eagerly anticipated and should be more crowd friendly. They'll make a couple of tweaks to JL and perhaps lighten it up a little. DC is fine.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #774
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

800 million is quite manageable but it isn't guaranteed at this point. This weekend saw all the fans go. No one that went this weekend was going to skip it regardless of the reviews.

The big test will be how it does next weekend.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #775
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Agreed, this weekend is key. I think one of the problems DC has with regards to Superman/Batman is that they are so iconic that everyone has an idea of what they want to see on screen before the movie even releases. Almost like people have a plot in mind and anything that veers from that ignites criticism. Most ppl are saying WW was great, and all she did was show up and make a couple of poses- but the fact that she has not been on screen before and is less popular so the audience was less critical of whatever was presented with regards to her.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #776
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is also the break even mark. Spending 800 million to produce a movie and getting a rate of return of zero isn't the best business model!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #777
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

In the case of a juggernaut like WB and for the sake of setting up their next 5 years of movies, maybe it is?

Not sure.. but they really, really pumped the tires on this one.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:08 AM   #778
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't account for tie-ins and merchandise etc... This thing is a cash register.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #779
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I must be a sucker for punishment cause I just bought two tickets for this tonight.

I just want to see it so I can talk about it, even if I think I'll be disappointed. I also feel like seeing it in theaters is my best chance for enjoying it since everyone saying it's pretty effects and action driven.... plus.... Batman....