Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...180719840.html
Quote:
Superman took flight again this summer in "Man of Steel," which has so far taken in over $280 million in the US and over $620 million worldwide, making it the #2 movie at the box office for 2013 ("Iron Man 3" sits securely at the top spot). Naturally, Henry Cavill is set to step into the character's red boots again, but at the Comic-Con today, there was surprising news that he'll be joined by another caped superhero.

Batman will team up with Superman in the next movie, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed Saturday morning. "Man of Steel" director Zack Snyder and screenwriter David Goyer (who also worked on "The Dark Knight" series) will return for the film expected to be released in 2015. Christian Bale, however, is not expected to return as the Caped Crusader.

There was speculation that Warner Bros. would follow "Man of Steel" with a "Justice League" movie that would bring together all of the major heroes from the DC Comics world, including Wonder Woman, but that has been pushed back. Instead, they will follow the Superman/Batman team up with a movie for the super-speedy hero The Flash in 2016, and follow with "Justice League" in 2017.

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-21-2014 at 11:35 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Villains. Bizarro and the Joker please.

and a Powergirl cameo.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I don't see how they can keep their darker tone and introduce both hero's.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Villains. Bizarro and the Joker please.

and a Powergirl cameo.
I doubt we see Joker for a long time.

I could see it being someone like Brainiac, as he worked pretty well when Batman/Superman fought him in the animated show. Although it could always be Luthor, since this is the Superman sequel, and can they really delay Luthor until the third movie?

So who plays Batman though, as that would likely make or break the movie. While I like JGL as an actor, in my mind Bruce Wayne should always be Batman. I also don't think a younger actor works at Batman. Keaton was almost 40 when he played Batman, Kilmer was 36, Clooney was also 36, and Bale was actually the youngest at 31. So they really should stay away from choosing a younger guy to play the role, as it just won't fit. Oh and I realize JGL is 32, I just mean other younger actors I have heard people discuss before.

Can't they just throw 40 million dollars at Bale to play the role? Not saying someone else won't work, but there is huge risk involved, and the wrong choice could ruin the entire thing. I mean I love how his arc ended in Dark Knight Rises, so it would be a shame to force that character back into action so quickly; but to reboot a superhero into the continuity of another universe, while teaming up with another hero could prove to be quite difficult.

Last edited by trackercowe; 07-20-2013 at 02:04 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bale's Bruce Wayne is a broken man though, his body can't do another movie. JGL would be fine, but I can't see them blending the 2 series in a way that wouldn't piss off tons of fanboys.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Marketing wise, this is freaking genius.

I wonder if this was the plan all along. Or maybe they had to pull an audible with the divided reception of Man of Steel. Even though financially it is doing just fine.

In the march towards Justice League, this is a good stepping stone. I kind of would have like a MOS 2 first though, I thought MOS was a really good reboot for the character and would have liked to see a couple more movies.

I hope they don't rush the script, because the story will be crucial if they wan't to retain any credibility\repectablility. There are so many ways this could fall off the rails (Crappy story, stupid version of Batman etc etc)

All things considered, this will probably make 3 trillion dollars
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

It could of been part of the plan all along, there were some Wayne references in MoS
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also interesting that they will essentially be rivals, borrowing from Dark Knight Returns. Also that the destruction and killing of Zod from MOS will be addressed.

Uh oh Batman is pissed about his satellite.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should just copy Legends of the Worlds Finest from the animated series, and have both Luthor and Joker as villains (and Harley Quinn). But I just don't see them bringing back Joker for the near future.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Anyone that plays joker will be compared to Ledger. The movie will absolutely fail if the Joker is a shadow of that performance.

I don't mind JGL as a new Batman. I was hoping that they would leave the Batman franchise alone for a while. The absolute worst way to introduce a new Batman would be in a joint superhero movie. They need to establish a new batman in a new batman movie. Then they can do the whole Superman Batman.

I've always wondered why when Superman punches any normal human like Batman or a normal crook, why that person doesn't disintegrate into a red mist.

In fact when Superman throws a punch shouldn't every window in a four block radius shatter? and a nuclear explosion type mushroom cloud appear?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wasn't Christopher Nolan pretty adamant that his Batman movies were in their own world and not to be mixed in with any other DC project?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

This should be an interesting movie. We'll see how they do it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Wasn't Christopher Nolan pretty adamant that his Batman movies were in their own world and not to be mixed in with any other DC project?
Of course, but you could always argue that was an Elseworlds or Earth-2 Universe in which their are the same characters that take on different roles and personalities. I doubt that would fly for Nolan, but theoretically they could bring back Bale as a different version of Batman/Bruce without any connection to Nolan's trilogy.

I just keep so seeing many terrible choices being recommended for the movie it scares me that DC/Warners will make the wrong choice and completely screw everything up from the get go. Bale might not have been perfect himself, but it's just the safe, logical decision to make. Who else is there? Jake Gyllenhaal, Bradley Cooper, Josh Holloway, Jon Hamm, etc. Not really loving any of those rumored choices; just too many pretty boys who probably wouldn't be able to play a darker character.

I'm thinking they'll end up going with JGL for some reason, but people won't be very accepting of someone other than Bruce Wayne donning Batman's tights imo. Much like Cavill, Levitt is cheap, pretty well respected, and young enough to be in movies for decades if required.

Last edited by trackercowe; 07-20-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gordon-Levitt's becoming a bit of a superstar, no? No idea what his salary commands are.

Anywho, the logo from Comic Con.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #15
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kevin Smith has become my go to guy for all things Batman these days; his thoughts on the announcement.

Quote:
BIG #ComicCon news: BATMAN/SUPERMAN TEAM-UP MOVIE IN 2015!!! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...t-comic-589521 … FLASH movie next! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY ####ING MONEY NOW!
Sounds pretty happy about the news.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ya I don't see Bale or JGL because of that, just different worlds

he's a producer because he will be on all DC movies going forward but my guess is someone brand new for Batman
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Big fan of The Flash. I remember the t.v. show from the 90s was mostly horrible and so far away from what I'd wanted. If they can do a GL movie, as gawd awful as it was, they can certainly do a good Flash movie. Fingers crossed.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

This is going to be interesting. And i agree that JGL and Bale should be far away from this film. I wonder who the prime candidates are to play the new Batman.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #19
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
This. Nolan has said, multiple times, these are two entirely different universes. The Batman he created is not in the same universe as Snyders Superman. There is a Bruce Wayne in that universe, but not Christian Bale.

This is genius and I am pretty sure that somewhere in one of the other threads I said this would be the way to go over a JLA movie. *pat self on back*

I think The Flash can be a great movie as well so I look forward to that also.

From the looks of that picture it is a pretty retro Batman symbol.. wonder what that means.

My pick for Bruce Wayne:

Make it happen captain.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 07-21-2013 at 02:42 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they got Fassbender I think both 3 Justin 3 and I may die of excitement.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote