Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Opportunity for cheap software, Win8 keys incl., for students and dreamspark Premium

Hey guys,

I just had a deal work out successfully so I would like to share. I got it by applying for a Dreamspark Premium account via IEEE for having a participating University email account. I basically getting 2 keys for Windows 8, and whatever other software I want from the list for 32$ total.

Intentionally for students/faculty members/other predefined positions, so use at your own risk and ethic.

1) got to https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Default.aspx
2) go to option 3 > school >"type in your institution"
3) go to store link > dreamspark premium, and surf through that tab to decide if this is something your interested in. can have all of that stuff including 2 copies of windows 8 for 2 computers (order 1 english, 1 french, then when installing the french just tell it to go english)

If you are interested in any of that software then close all of that stuff and forget about it for about a week, while your account is made from the following:

4)go to http://www.ieee.org/membership_servi...oin/index.html
5) student/faculty > register completely with all your real info for 1 year $32 (don't do half year).
6) It took me 3 days to get my verification from IEEE with UWO. Register
7) go to step 1, 2, 3 and add up the premium programs for free from there onwards!

WARNING: make sure you read the versions of things you download. like don't get a DEBUG Win 8

I am not planning on using Win 8 until I know it better, but getting 2 keys for $32 for when I am ready is amazing for my desktop and laptop. And there are some huge programs in there to take as bonuses.

Enjoy
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paying money to use software without a proper license seems like a rather foolish thing to do to me.

If you won't to steal it, just steal it.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Paying money to use software without a proper license seems like a rather foolish thing to do to me.

If you won't to steal it, just steal it.
I think he's just using his UWO credentials to register with IEEE, so I don't see what the issue is in this respect.

Technet is still my preferred way of getting MS software. $300 (or less with a code) for more Windows, Office, Visio, Exchange, SQL, Server, etc than you can shake a stick at is a fantastic deal.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
I think he's just using his UWO credentials to register with IEEE, so I don't see what the issue is in this respect.

Technet is still my preferred way of getting MS software. $300 (or less with a code) for more Windows, Office, Visio, Exchange, SQL, Server, etc than you can shake a stick at is a fantastic deal.
I guess as long as you continue to be a student, and maintain your IEEE membership the whole time. Wasn't the vibe I got from reading it the first time, but abuse of stuff like this has always been a pet peeve of mine, so my perception is probably skewed.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I guess as long as you continue to be a student, and maintain your IEEE membership the whole time. Wasn't the vibe I got from reading it the first time, but abuse of stuff like this has always been a pet peeve of mine, so my perception is probably skewed.
I shall never speak of my lapsed Technet subscription around you then.

Although, a careful reading of the agreement could be interpreted to mean those keys are still legit. Probably they can't be re-used for activation, but the VM's they power are still around and I guess when Technet lapses there isn't a clause indicating those keys have to be destroyed.