Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
EA surely made them sign a non-compete clause when they bought BioWare. Let's see what happens in a year or two.
I don't think so. I don't see the need to speculate further than what the men say.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #22
kyuusei
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So maybe EA didn't force them out. They could have simply gotten tired of the way things were going. We won't know for a while. =P

Sad day for BW though.
kyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
I don't think so. I don't see the need to speculate further than what the men say.
You really don't think EA made them sign a non-compete as part of the acquisition? It's an absolute certainty that they did.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You really don't think EA made them sign a non-compete as part of the acquisition? It's an absolute certainty that they did.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes, bro. We don't know what's in their contracts. Even if there were some kind of clause that restricts them in the immediate future, there's no need for them to invent some bull honkey about retiring altogether.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #25
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only a Sith deals in absolutes, bro. We don't know what's in their contracts. Even if there were some kind of clause that restricts them in the immediate future, there's no need for them to invent some bull honkey about retiring altogether.
EA's lawyers aren't stupid. If they didn't include a non-compete, what's to stop the doctors from taking EA's money and using it to start a competing studio? So yes, I can absolutely, positively, 100% guarantee you that the purchase agreement when EA bought BioWare contained a non-compete clause.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
EA's lawyers aren't stupid. If they didn't include a non-compete, what's to stop the doctors from taking EA's money and using it to start a competing studio? So yes, I can absolutely, positively, 100% guarantee you that the purchase agreement when EA bought BioWare contained a non-compete clause.
I'm sure there are many things stopping them from taking EA's money anyway, but in any case the fact remains that they have no need to pretend that they're retiring from the business. It's EA, not the CIA, they don't have to lie about it.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #27
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm still bitter about the death of Origin.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
I'm still bitter about the death of Origin.
I'm still bitter about the birth of Origin.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #29
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

They've completely walked away from established careers before, so it's not really a surprise if they're truly leaving this career path for good too.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #30
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

No idea whether EA would have forced them out, but it's not hard to imagine that after the company you lovingly built from the ground up becomes part of a corporate behemoth, and you become a cog in the machine, you'd lose the passion you had for the work.

If I'd been bought out by EA and became a multi-millionaire, and my job became loaded with corporate red tape, I don't think I'd have to be forced into retiring to a beach-side resort to spend my days sipping margaritas, nailing models, and playing video games.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #31
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure there are many things stopping them from taking EA's money anyway, but in any case the fact remains that they have no need to pretend that they're retiring from the business. It's EA, not the CIA, they don't have to lie about it.
If you think about it, with the NDAs they signed from EA with their resignation and the non-competes they likely signed, 'retiring' from the industry is really the only thing they could do.

They'd probably lose more money with severance payments than they could possibly make in the next 5 years if they signed up with a company like Activision-Blizzard.

But yeah, 2 resignations in the same day are just normal parts of business, right?
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #32
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
If you think about it, with the NDAs they signed from EA with their resignation and the non-competes they likely signed, 'retiring' from the industry is really the only thing they could do.

They'd probably lose more money with severance payments than they could possibly make in the next 5 years if they signed up with a company like Activision-Blizzard.

But yeah, 2 resignations in the same day are just normal parts of business, right?
Nothing unusual about the doctors making the decision together, if that's what you mean.

There's no agreement that would absolutely force them to lie about retiring, but it's not out of the question that they would lie just to avoid questions about why they left. The problem is that there's really no reason to doubt them. It might make sense if you accept certain premises but there's no evidence to suggest that there's anything more going on behind the scenes. It's really the age-old conspiracy theorist's problem.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #33
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

I doubt these guys had much creative input any more, anyway. The way BioWare has grown from its early days, and the fact that both have remained pretty active apparently in the business side of things leads me to believe their departure probably won't change too much. Unfortunately.

I fully expect to see them back in a couple years, probably at the helm of a new studio, to recapture the spark.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #34
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
The problem is that there's really no reason to doubt them

There is tons of reason. Two major games their Dev house was in charge of completely #### the bed. One of these games was supposed to save EA as it spastically flails to keep up with Activision-Blizzard. I called this back before SW:ToR dropped and you can go back and read the thread if you don't believe me. The game will fail and within a year Bioware will be dismantled. When a dev house bombs after EA has lofty expectations placed on a project on a tight schedule they get eaten. We're on track.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #35
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
There is tons of reason. Two major games their Dev house was in charge of completely #### the bed. One of these games was supposed to save EA as it spastically flails to keep up with Activision-Blizzard. I called this back before SW:ToR dropped and you can go back and read the thread if you don't believe me. The game will fail and within a year Bioware will be dismantled. When a dev house bombs after EA has lofty expectations placed on a project on a tight schedule they get eaten. We're on track.
That's not evidence, that's speculation. Honestly, how much would you be willing to bet that Bioware will be dismantled in the near future? You sound confident but really you're just guessing. TOR got them big losses, no doubt, but none of us actually know how highly EA values the Bioware brand and their work.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #36
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
That's not evidence, that's speculation. Honestly, how much would you be willing to bet that Bioware will be dismantled in the near future? You sound confident but really you're just guessing. TOR got them big losses, no doubt, but none of us actually know how highly EA values the Bioware brand and their work.
You didn't ask for evidence, you asked for reasons.

Name your price. It's not speculation, it's following trends.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #37
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You didn't ask for evidence, you asked for reasons.

Name your price. It's not speculation, it's following trends.
I mentioned evidence in the next sentence (which clarifies the previous one; that's how paragraphs work). I said it made sense if you accept certain premises, and it's certainly not impossible, but I feel that sometimes it's good to be conservative with one's conclusions.

Even if it's following trends, that doesn't mean it's not speculation.

Last edited by Henry Fool; 09-19-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #38
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
I fully expect to see them back in a couple years, probably at the helm of a new studio, to recapture the spark.
That doesn't always work either. I remember Hellgate: London.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #39
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is tons of reason. Two major games their Dev house was in charge of completely #### the bed.
Which two major BioWare games **** the bed?

SW:TOR certainly disappointed, but ME3 sold well despite criticisms of its ending, and there are already plans for another ME game from BioWare.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #40
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Which two major BioWare games **** the bed?

SW:TOR certainly disappointed, but ME3 sold well despite criticisms of its ending, and there are already plans for another ME game from BioWare.
DA2 sold less than half of DA1, if recall correctly, but you have to look at that in relation to the development costs which may not have been huge in DA2's case, at least the development time was probably at least twice as quick as DA1's. TOR was insanely expensive and I'm under the impression that the Doctors were more involved with that than the other games, but that might be incorrect.

DA3 is coming late 2013. I'm excited to see what they do since DA2's flaws were so obvious that they should be easy to fix.