Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New Star Wars Trilogy Announced!

Quote:
Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Johnson will create a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”
http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-jo...r-wars-trilogy

I'd love to see an Old Republic era trilogy.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

This explains why they didn't just re-hire Johnson to direct episode 9 instead of bringing back Abrams. He's gonna need some time to start writing the script and begin working on the new trilogy.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool. Sounds like they have a lot of faith in him, that has to feel good for Johnson.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

A movie of The KOTR video game would be awesome. It would make an excellent Trilogy with the game being the first leg then have Bastila betray Reven in the 2nd movie and then a third to vanquish the Sith.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

lol, at first glance I thought this was an old thread describing the current trilogy. Rian Johnson must have blew Disney away with The Last Jedi to green-light a whole trilogy for him to make.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wrong thread
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

hopefully it will be set in the Old Republic.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I get people want to see KOTR but it says right in the release it'll be new never before seen characters. Unless they are lying, which would be weird unless they are doing something stupid like trying to fool us, there is zero chance they do a video game adaptation or any sort of story based on previous star wars media.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I get people want to see KOTR but it says right in the release it'll be new never before seen characters. Unless they are lying, which would be weird unless they are doing something stupid like trying to fool us, there is zero chance they do a video game adaptation or any sort of story based on previous star wars media.
Doesn't it say it will introduce new characters to Star Wars lore. The video games aren't Canon so the statement could be true if never explored before means canon.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's lots of story lines that they can do. The whole Old Republic thing is a huge area on its own because it goes way beyond the video game itself

You can do a trilogy on the founding of the republic.

You could literally do a trilogy on the first Sith/Empire war and the golden age of the Sith.

You could absolutely do a story line on Darth Bane and the founding of the rule of two.

You could do a trilogy with absolutely no force story, think 1313.

Its a huge galaxy with thousands of years of time lines.

I would if they would do it love to see the original schism of the Jedi, where they split off over philosophy and it lead to the founding of the Sith.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or....they could come up with a new idea.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #12
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There's lots of story lines that they can do. The whole Old Republic thing is a huge area on its own because it goes way beyond the video game itself

You can do a trilogy on the founding of the republic.

You could literally do a trilogy on the first Sith/Empire war and the golden age of the Sith.

You could absolutely do a story line on Darth Bane and the founding of the rule of two.

You could do a trilogy with absolutely no force story, think 1313.

Its a huge galaxy with thousands of years of time lines.

I would if they would do it love to see the original schism of the Jedi, where they split off over philosophy and it lead to the founding of the Sith.
I love it.

It will be really interesting to see which touchstone elements they retain. Historically, StarWars has really thrived by keeping certain design elements, and story themes consistent. If this story is based long before the Skywalker saga, they have a challenge set out for them.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #13
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Funny, I was just thinking to myself, “11 just doesn’t seem like enough Star Wars movies.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 AM   #14
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's great they're finally going to do away with the Skywalker saga forever. I really loved TFA and am super stoked for The Last Jedi, but any more than 9 movies would be total overkill.

This also gives them a blank slate to go in totally new and unexpected directions. I'm excited.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I agree, I mean the Skywalker clan were pretty much mass murderers. Anakin pretty much was in on or responsible for killing millions, and of course being a child murderer.

Then his son picks up where he belongs, killing hundreds of thousands of cvillian workers on the Death Star plus countless Imperial Troops not all of whom were evil. On top of that he was cruel to animals like the Rancor who just wanted to be loved and fed.

But we all know that the destruction of the Death Star was just a conspiracy by the Empire and the Skywalkers to further erode freedoms and give the Government at the time to hand more control to the Imperial Military Industrial Complex.

A galaxy FFA without Skywalkers can't be anything but a much more peaceful place.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Fracken the video's been muted due to copywrite infringement, so stupid.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the Disney machine rolls onward.

We all knew they were going to do this once they owned Star Wars, they've likely already recouped their acquisition costs and now they've likely got a long-term plan all mapped out.

Star Wars is likely going to follow a similar business model to Marvel releasing different offshoot films around a central ongoing storyline.

Now normally I'd say that Disney is the Evil Empire (and they are) but they're not letting the quality of any of their productions slip so you cant argue or complain too much.

I dont like that they basically own everything, but they're doing a good job with what they have so what can I say?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as long as no other movies feature a giant death star contraption as that concept has been done too many times....
Old 11-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
as long as no other movies feature a giant death star contraption as that concept has been done too many times....
Try reading the Legends EU, where every super weapon had to be bigger and badder then the Death Star.

the indestructible Sun Crusher. The World Devastators, the Galaxy guy.

And then they completely over powered force users.

Suddenly Palpatine was conjuring up these planet swallowing Force Storms. A ancient Sith Lord could cause stars to go into instant Super Nova. Jedi trainees were pushing Super Star Destroyers out of orbit and across the Solar System.

The greatest and worst line in Star Wars was "size Matters not" by Yoda because every writer could suddenly have free license to make Force Users basically gods.

That's why in some ways people were disappointed in the Jedi in the prequel trilogy. I mean the one thing that I really liked was that Yoda and Ben were old and had been weakened in the OT, Luke was really only partially trained and Vader was a shadow of his former self, so the force powers were muted, Vader could throw stuff across the room, and they could move objects and block blaster shots with light sabers or their hands. When Palpatine was reading Luke's mind and throwing force lightning he was powerful.

Then you go into the Prequels, and they're using force speed, and they're fighting so much faster, and tossing objects around, you saw what a trained Jedi could do.

And then you get in the prequels and basically rookie jedi were like Palpatine in the movies, I would totally murder him, now watch me crush this moon on the other side of the galaxy.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #20
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And the Disney machine rolls onward.

We all knew they were going to do this once they owned Star Wars, they've likely already recouped their acquisition costs and now they've likely got a long-term plan all mapped out.

Star Wars is likely going to follow a similar business model to Marvel releasing different offshoot films around a central ongoing storyline.

Now normally I'd say that Disney is the Evil Empire (and they are) but they're not letting the quality of any of their productions slip so you cant argue or complain too much.

I dont like that they basically own everything, but they're doing a good job with what they have so what can I say?
Yeah it's weird. Like we all know theyre taking over the world, but theyre making it fun to watch so....

Tags
"rian johnson" , "star wars"