Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2017, 02:03 AM   #141
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
No way should they even consider bringing back Elliott and be required to give the Blues a 3rd round pick... should not be on the table.
Not that I want this, because I don't, but I am certain the 3rd round pick is only in play if they re-signed Elliott before July 1st and him becoming a UFA.
If Treliving entertained the notion of bringing Elliott back in any capacity, and I'm sure he doesn't, it would be well into the free agency period before they circled back to Elliott and therefore no pick going St Louis way.

I think it works that way anyway
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:53 AM   #142
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
^ again, what is he supposed to say exactly? Write his speech please. Because all I got is this:

Brouwer was a huge mistsje. I may have to give up assets to get Vegas to take him, but I'm will to so I can correct this huge mistake I made in signing him. We have a lot of money coming off the books this year and I promise not to waste it like I did on Brouwer.
I gambled with Brian Elliott, and that failed miserably. I hoped he could be a #1 goaltender and he was was brutal when it counted most.
Giving up assets for these no good players who cost us playoff success is 100% on me.
I should have played hardball with Gaudreau, insisted he be in camp. His, and the teams, slow start to the season may have been avoided if I would have suspended him if not signed by World Cup.

You expected to hear something like that?
Agree.

And for a guy without a contract next year, lol!

I think a lot of people want honesty at these things when honesty ain't gonna happen.

Look for clues and queues honesty.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:06 AM   #143
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Elliott was awful for half of the season, great for half of the season, and bad in the playoffs. There is no reason to come back with that, especially when there are better options out there.

IF Elliott had a long proven history of being the go to guy, you overlook the playoffs and maybe the season, and write it off as an off-year. Fact is, Elliott has a history of teams not believing in him down the stretch, and now we understand why.

He is what he is, and it's not a #1 goalie. The Flames need a #1, and there are some available this summer.
Saying half the season in a little disingenuous considering he only played 13 games in the first 2 months of the season, which also coincided with the entire team playing like utter garbage. Elliott was good to great from December onwards until the final 2 playoff games which was in the ballpark of 75% of his season.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:08 AM   #144
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Is there a website where you can get an individual players stats from a portion of the season? I'd be interested in seeing his numbers from games 20-82
On NHL.com you can sort by a specific time period, just make sure you click "sum all results" or it will show each game individually.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #145
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Saying half the season in a little disingenuous considering he only played 13 games in the first 2 months of the season, which also coincided with the entire team playing like utter garbage. Elliott was good to great from December onwards until the final 2 playoff games which was in the ballpark of 75% of his season.
I think this evaluation is even more disingenuous. It was the beginning of February that Elliot finally got on his role, which lasted until the last few games of the season. He was very bad to start the year (hence why he only played 13 games in the first 2 months) lost his job to Johnson through his hot streak in December, then neither goalie was great until finally Elliot got in a groove after the all star break at the end of January.

Both goalies were struggling through January, and for an example you might remember the game January 6, which was a 4-2 loss to the Canucks, in which the Flames outshot them 46-13. Elliot gave up 4 goals on 13 shots for the loss.

So Elliot played well for 2 months, February and March, and you could argue the first week of April (although the team in general was struggling and didn't win much).

So I think it's fair to say he played well for 1/3 of the regular season. For 2/3 of the regular season and the playoffs he was a disappointment.

I don't see anything from this year that would suggest he should be brought back in any capacity.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 04-22-2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Meant beginning of February, said March.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #146
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Treliving agrees with you. Not a lot of work to do.

I just hope next year we don't end up missing the playoffs or a similar result in the playoffs. I'm normally very positive and patient, but based on the series I was looking for Treliving to own some of the decision making which resulted in our quick elimination. Even Elliott was able to identify his part in it.

I have a lot of respect for Treliving and his decisions, but in the past he has always clearly identified and owned issues. Didn't get that today.
I see what your getting at.

Yeah in the past he seemed to own up and say things like "We simply were not good enough" Maybe this time around he is a bit more optimistic but I wouldn't mind him calling a spade a spade.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #147
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the mood of the organization reflects being swept, and how most agree that they deserve better. If this had gone to OT in game 7, I think the mood would be a bit different. From the fans and tbe organization.

I know opinions will differ, and you can talk all day about 5 on 5 scoring, Brouwer, Johnny Gaudreau and every other reason you can think of. For me the sole reason why the Flames were swept was goaltending. We can preach all day how you need to suck it up when bad goals, and bad calls happen, but usually its your goalie who needs to make that big save when the teams play sags. We got that in March and April. We didn't get that in the playoffs.

What Im trying to say is that Burke and Treliving don't seem like the type to throw their players under the bus. You want Treliving to come out and say that the goaltending sucked? What does that accomplish?

It seems to me that tbe organization feels like they deserved a better fate. The skaters played quite well. Historically Getzlaf ans Kesler have dominated this team statistically. I can't remember the exact stats, but Monahan, Backlund and even Bennett had pretty good possession stats. I heard the argument on the radio that Monahan's offensive zone starts were among the highest... good. To me thats good coaching.

They're not going to come to the media and say "We were awesome but Elliott and Brouwer sucked" Those decisions will happen behind closed doors.

I don't have any problems with what Treliving said.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post: