Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #41
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Gotta love the headline on the side of the page:

Quote:
Crosby is ready to move on from Methot slash
Yeah, you guys. Leave Crosby alone. He just chopped a guy's finger off. It's not like he elbowed someone in the face or something. Stop bugging him about it already.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #42
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
No. Doughty is doing a stick lift for sure, but Brown comes in and smashed it hard with a slash.

Link
https://gfycat.com/UnderstatedRichImago

Not to mention he also gets tripped on the play.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #43
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't want to get all Don Cherry on this issue, but I don't recall this abundance of slashing during the enforcer era. Unintended outcome (but predictable) is the increase in stick work as a result of no in game policing (ie. when the ref misses something the enforcer takes care of it). Not saying that this is better, but there is a correlation between enforcers going away and stick work going up. Kind of similar to the increase in d-men getting run into boards when hooking and interference were cracked down on.

I do agree however, that the only way to get rid of it is to call everything - if you bring your stick up and wack your opponent with your stick it is a slash - if it is on the equipment or not.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #44
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
I don't want to get all Don Cherry on this issue, but I don't recall this abundance of slashing during the enforcer era. Unintended outcome (but predictable) is the increase in stick work as a result of no in game policing (ie. when the ref misses something the enforcer takes care of it). Not saying that this is better, but there is a correlation between enforcers going away and stick work going up. Kind of similar to the increase in d-men getting run into boards when hooking and interference were cracked down on.

I do agree however, that the only way to get rid of it is to call everything - if you bring your stick up and wack your opponent with your stick it is a slash - if it is on the equipment or not.
Re bold: is there data to back this up?

Also, I have never understood the enforcer concept. How does enforcer fighting another enforce change the game? It seems to me, and this is totally off the top of my head, that enforcers fought each other. "The Code" stopped them from fighting those that might actually be doing the stick work.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #45
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry - no data just my impression - don't recall this much stick work 10-20 years ago.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #46
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I suggested this a while back, and got zero response (so that probably means it was a stupid idea), but I'll say it again because the more I think about it the more I believe that it could make a positive difference in regards to all of this "tapping".

Should the NHL tighten up the rules on how long a player's stick can be, relative to their height? Skilled players already typically use shorter sticks, as it makes for better stick-handling/puck control, so it wouldn't hurt their games. It's the defensemen, and checking line players that use longer than necessary sticks, as it keeps their opposition within reach. I think the league needs to make an effort to take that away.

Shorten the sticks, and start calling penalties consistently.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #47
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
I don't want to get all Don Cherry on this issue, but I don't recall this abundance of slashing during the enforcer era.
I think it was a lot worse during the enforcer era.

Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #48
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is something I've been saying for a long time now. These slashes only serve to help marginal players have an unfair advantage over the Stars of the NHL. Why does the NHL allow this? No wonder why hockey will never be ahead of the NFL or NBA. Those leagues protect the stars of their game who sell the ticketd and bring in the viewers. This league is totally backwards, it's embarrassing.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #49
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

For sure the hacking and slashing was way worse back in the "enforcer era".

Think of Doug Risebrough and John Tonelli for example. It wasn't a successful shift (let alone game) if those guys didn't lay the lumber on someone. They were universally admired players and winners. They never had to fight an enforcer over it. Sure, they riled up the opposition (Riser especially) but he never had to fight Dave Brown because he chopped Glenn Anderson in the hands (or face). He did once get pummelled by McSorley, but that was just for general peskiness and not the way he played defense (which involved slashing).

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #50
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, my recollection during the enforcer era is guys knew they were going to get punched in the head at some point during the game, so might as well make it worth it and make a slash/elbow/spear a good one.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:41 PM   #51
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Not to mention he also gets tripped on the play.
Why not call both?

Doughty, Tripping — 2 mins
Brown, Slashing — 2 mins

Same thing earlier in the game when Gaudreau got slashed three times in a row. Three infractions, three penalties.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #52
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

Hextal was a Psycho. If AC were to make a video of all of his stickwork it would last three days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #53
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd tap dat!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #54
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

having bought a couple pairs of decent gloves in last few years, i can't believe how amazingly soft and lite they are. And also almost useless protecting my hand in goof ball beer league play. Pros have better gloves, but not much more protective.

Can someone not innovate lite and protective equipment?
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:21 AM   #55
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
having bought a couple pairs of decent gloves in last few years, i can't believe how amazingly soft and lite they are. And also almost useless protecting my hand in goof ball beer league play. Pros have better gloves, but not much more protective.

Can someone not innovate lite and protective equipment?
The problem is the players need a little flexibility in the gloves to have good control of their shots, and it's hard to get a material that can retain that flexibility and also distribute the force of a slash over a large enough area to reduce the likelihood of breaking a bone.

I think the only solution is to apply the existing rules/penalties to get rid of the slashing. Also, go after the coaches on it - that Minnesota game that resulted in Gaudreau's injury featured so many slashes by so many players that you have to believe it was a coach's directive.

Applying the rules would slow the game down for a while, but you don't see the players hooking and essentially hitching a ride on another player the way it used to be done before the NHL decided to apply the existing rules.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #56
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

gotta agree. this is in the 'we call it sometimes, sometimes we don't' part of the rulebook (when it shouldn't be) that is often utilized for game management. If the other team has more skill than you, you can get away with this stuff in order to slow them down or mitigate that skill. Refs can allow it to keep the game close.

IMO it all stems from on high about 'keeping things close' for the sake of 'parity' that the league is so proud of.

If/When they got rid of 'tapping', I think we'd see the stars shine even more and the disparity would be more apparent (which I'd be fine with, but I'm saying the League may not be)

Not sure about you guys, but watching LA & Anaheim & maybe Minni games...they take a LOT of stick liberties, and it makes them more competitive as it slows down faster, more skilled teams, to the point where the game shifts to a slower more physical style which is more in their wheelhouse. Drives me crazy to see it allowed.

As a fan I'd be all for removing it from the game, even if it creates a penalty parade.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #57
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

Cherry blamed visors for increasing high sticking. He also regarded spearing as "European" and un-Canadian.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #58
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've thought for a while they should use the tool they use for icing to call less severe penalties and call them consistently and often. If Johnny is getting slashed coming into the zone, then let Calgary finish the play and give them a faceoff in the opposition zone without a defensive line change.

Part of the reason they can't be consistent, is that 2 min penalties for everything does ruin the game.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote