Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #141
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember a month or so ago that Brett Kulak was mentioned as a player the Flames (Treliving?) might look into protecting who is off their list.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #142
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jagr might be of interest to Vegas or any team after this season for that matter. Jagr has told the Panthers he will not be with the team next season. Who knows if this is the last time we see Jagr in the NHL.

He's proven he's still elite at times and I do hope he plays until he's 50.. haha.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #143
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Has anyone considered that Treliving traded for Lazar knowing that McPhee has a boner for him and will take him over anything else available? Trading for a player that is certain to get selected is a sure fire way of protecting the rest of your roster. Not saying this is why Lazar was traded for, but it makes a helluva lot more sense than protecting him or Brouwer over Ferland.
Do you have a link where he expresses an interest in Lazar?
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #144
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Has anyone considered that Treliving traded for Lazar knowing that McPhee has a boner for him and will take him over anything else available? Trading for a player that is certain to get selected is a sure fire way of protecting the rest of your roster. Not saying this is why Lazar was traded for, but it makes a helluva lot more sense than protecting him or Brouwer over Ferland.
That makes very little sense to me unless the Flames are protecting someone that is off the radar.

They have only 3D worth protecting in Gio, Dougie, Brodie
They have 7 forwards that I guess make the list in Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Backlund, Frolik, Ferland, and Brouwer (now maybe Lazar?)

So unless the organization spent a second rounder to get McPhee to select Lazar over Kulak, Shinkaruk, or someone else I can't even think of your theory cannot be true

I almost think that adding Lazar gives him an excuse to expose Brouwer as he could fear the backlash from agents when he lets a player go one yearminto a four year deal. Adding Lazar and giving up assets for him give him a 7th forward to protect over Troy and is easier to explain to future UFA's that are concerned about signing long term?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #145
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I see most respondents to your preposterous post holding realistic hope that Ferland can one day become a power forward based on his current developmental trajectory. Of course you think everyone is delusional, since you are the only person in this thread who is convinced that Ferland has already fulfilled his NHL potential.

I honestly have a difficult time believing that you have actually been watching Ferland play at all this season based on this post. He is far, far better with reams more potential than you are giving him credit. It is honestly astonishing.
I'm not convinced of anything I haven't yet seen. I don't think he's fulfilled his NHL potential but usually you have a good indication at the age of 25 in what a player is going to be. Guys like Backlund that have career seasons later into their 20's are more of an outlier than the normal. For example people here think Bennett is a disappointment at 20 yet we are supposed to believe a 25 year old guy like Ferland has another NHL level in him? Sorry but if Bennett is putting up Ferland's 25 year old numbers in five years then he's definitely a disappointment as chances are he's hitting close to his ceiling. Remember I'm not saying he should be exposed over Brouwer (I want Brouwer to be exposed and taken), I'm just saying if the team made a deal with Brouwer not to expose him then there's really not much they can do outside of expose Ferland and try to make a deal with the Knights.

I personally believe there's no way they spend a 2nd round pick on Lazar for a few months of play and then leave him unprotected as it would be justly ridiculed as you can't justify spending a 2nd round pick to create an odd man out situation that didn't exist prior to the trade.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #146
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not convinced of anything I haven't yet seen. I don't think he's fulfilled his NHL potential but usually you have a good indication at the age of 25 in what a player is going to be. Guys like Backlund that have career seasons later into their 20's are more of an outlier than the normal. For example people here think Bennett is a disappointment at 20 yet we are supposed to believe a 25 year old guy like Ferland has another NHL level in him? Sorry but if Bennett is putting up Ferland's 25 year old numbers in five years then he's definitely a disappointment as chances are he's hitting close to his ceiling. Remember I'm not saying he should be exposed over Brouwer (I want Brouwer to be exposed and taken), I'm just saying if the team made a deal with Brouwer not to expose him then there's really not much they can do outside of expose Ferland and try to make a deal with the Knights.

I personally believe there's no way they spend a 2nd round pick on Lazar for a few months of play and then leave him unprotected as it would be justly ridiculed as you can't justify spending a 2nd round pick to create an odd man out situation that didn't exist prior to the trade.

You were one of a handful of people on this site pretty much writing Ferland off after his first full rookie season because he wasn't playing every game like he did in the Vancouver playoff series a year earlier.

It's already been explained he started hockey much later than most players and he possesses a rare combination of size and physicality along with soft hands good speed.

Those things (especially when combined with his size and rough style of play) are things this organization covets.

There is simply no way they leave him unprotected at this point, especially when he is already many of the things they some day hope Lazar might become. That makes absolutely no sense.

The issue here isn't the group of people you feel are over-rating Ferland's potential. This is black and white: What he is right now is enough that he warrants protection. It's just that simple.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #147
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
You were one of a handful of people on this site pretty much writing Ferland off after his first full rookie season because he wasn't playing every game like he did in the Vancouver playoff series a year earlier.

It's already been explained he started hockey much later than most players and he possesses a rare combination of size and physicality along with soft hands good speed.

Those things (especially when combined with his size and rough style of play) are things this organization covets.

There is simply no way they leave him unprotected at this point, especially when he is already many of the things they some day hope Lazar might become. That makes absolutely no sense.

The issue here isn't the group of people you feel are over-rating Ferland's potential. This is black and white: What he is right now is enough that he warrants protection. It's just that simple.
Except it's not black and white or simple because we don't know if they are going to expose Brouwer. The only thing I think I ever wrote off in regards to Ferland is that he's not a top 6 talent.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-29-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #148
Stupid
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hmm let's see...

Lazar: Tre indicated his intentions on protecting him. +
Ferland: Exactly what the doctor ordered for the Flames. ++
Brouwer: (Up until this point) Not at all living up to his pricetag. --

Idk seems like an easy choice to me.
Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #149
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

UPDATE: Protected & Available Lists for Expansion Draft will be made public simultaneously with their distribution to the Clubs. Date TBD.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #150
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where did you hear that from? That would be a big change from what we heard before.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #151
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Where did you hear that from? That would be a big change from what we heard before.
Sorry thought the whole tweet went out
Got it from the Official account of the National Hockey League Communications Department.

NHL Public Relations Verified account
@PR_NHL
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #152
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

To follow up on Otto's posts

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/n...pansion-draft/

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...95900476837888

NHL had lots internal discussion after initial idea of not disclosing protected lists. Some league staff pushed hard for making them public
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote