Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #181
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^I was able to get Fallout and Fallout 2 to work on my laptop running Windows 7, but I forget how I managed it. There was a re-release of F1/F2/FTactics as a package deal a few months after Fallout 3 came out so those ones must have been re-worked for modern windows OS's.

EDIT: Boom. http://www.pcworld.com/article/24740...windows_7.html

It's totally worth it.

Last edited by AR_Six; 09-18-2012 at 10:23 AM.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #182
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

gog.com

you can buy a lot of these games there for pretty cheap. That's where I got the original fallout games.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #183
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Just buy the Fallouts on Gog.com. Not only do you get the games, you get avatars, the manuals, wallpapers, and the Fallout Bible. And it's guaranteed to work on modern Windows (XP, Vista, Windows 7).
Old 09-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #184
Reanimate
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does GOG make sure the old software will work on newer OS's? I downloaded Fallout a couple years back and it was unplayable on my computer.
Reanimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #185
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimate View Post
Does GOG make sure the old software will work on newer OS's? I downloaded Fallout a couple years back and it was unplayable on my computer.
They say they do. Also, apparently (I haven't checked recently), you can re-download purchases from your account. At least you used to be able to.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #186
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Again, not surprising, but disappointed that Secret of Evermore didn't make the list. Pleasantly surprised with how high Secret of Mana made it though. My buddies and I must have finished that game like 10 times back in the day. Nice to see IV make top 5. CT and FF6 are a great 2 and 1.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #187
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
They say they do. Also, apparently (I haven't checked recently), you can re-download purchases from your account. At least you used to be able to.
Gog.com is very easy going. There aren't any restrictions on downloads or installations once you've bought the game. You download the files and they're really yours. I even got a free digital backup (plus all the extras) for my Witcher 2 even though I have the box version.

They should all be be remastered to work on current Windows. That's the idea. But you can always check that in the game information.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #188
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I also note that Secret of Mana II (Seiken Densetsu 3) isn't on here, which is a bit of a shame. The translation was unofficial but it was one of the better 16 bit RPGs, and in my opinion better than its predecessor.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #189
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Started playing FF Tactics again, about 15 hours in and having a lot of fun. I haven't played this game since it first came out so it feels almost like a brand new game. I wanted to try the remake for PSP but.. I don't have a PSP :/

After this I am contemplating starting at FF1 and working my way up to the current releases.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #190
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm waiting for a reasonable nintendo DS emulator for Android (they're still working on one) so I can play the FFIV re-issue.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #191
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Just finished Final Fantasy Tactics last night, great game. Played through about 42 hours did the Deep Dungeon and the Cloud/Materia Blade side quest. My only grievance is that the game gets almost too easy at a certain point. With the Chaos Blade/Excalibur and the armor my main character is wearing he always has Haste/Shell/Protect/Regen and hits for 1500+ dual wielding swords. That is only at level 65 as well without any personal buffs through Guts used..

The last ten or so battles basically consist of him walking up to the head bad guy and one shotting him. But you can't argue with the story line and up to a certain point the battles are quite challenging. Will play through again next year with the updated PSP version.

Now I have started Final Fantasy 1.. not sure if I ever really beat this game back in the day, I remember playing it multiple times though. The PS1 classic Final Fantasy Origins is on the Playstation Network for $9.99 and includes FF1 and 2. FF1 has some updated cut scenes and rounded graphics, giving it a smoother appeal with a that retro feel. The music was also updated to 16 bit which I found disappointing I was looking forward to the NES sound. Two hours in I remember how hard it is to level in this game. Should still prove to be a fun play through.