Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #81
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the carbon tax is an extra 2-4% increase to our daily consumption that sucks but it's kind of inevitable isn't it? Did we really think we could keep burning fossil fuels until the oceans literally drown out coastal cities displacing hundreds of millions? Let's ignore that for a second though and say that the tax is barely noticeable and doesn't really affect consumption but raises hundreds of millions of dollars to advance green solutions faster. Wtf is wrong with that?

Everyone wants something for nothing. No tax increases but better services. Cut my taxes but not services. etc etc. At some point we need to ween ourselves off fossil fuels and I wish people would just frame their debate honestly here: they don't want to be part of the generation to have the short term pain for long term gains. That's an honest argument I can at least deal with. But this endless bull#### parade about "its not the right time" or "not everyone is doing everything possible so why do we have to" it's total bs.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #82
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paid my first $1.50 in carbon tax today. Felt great. Just great.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #83
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Kavvy; 01-08-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #84
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I guess, until the next election, I can live with Notley and her carbon tax, if it gets us the pipelines we need. Sure the carbon tax is a boondoggled debacle, and it's implementation deserves much more careful consideration as to the overall consequences. However I believe, in the long run, the importance of pipelines to our economy is more important than a carbon tax.

IMO, if by temporarily hopping on the "environmental activist bandwagon" to appease a significant number of Canadian voters, concerned about saving the planet, gets us the pipelines we need, then I think Notley has succeeded where previous governments have failed.

I guess only time will tell whether Trudeau has what it takes to make the pipelines a reality.
We don't have a choice and must endure Nutbar and her poorly planned carbon tax. We still have to wait to see what kind of energy efficiency rebates the NDP is going to offer. Then there's the tricke down effect from this tax that will only increase the price of goods and services we buy. How much is anyones guess and economists don't know.

She brags all the time about the 2 pipelines and the possible 22,000 jobs it will create but in reality there are no shovels in ground and probably won't be for the froseeable future. Protests and court cases will delay this thing for years.

Last edited by Dion; 01-02-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #85
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy View Post
It was leaked through. The cost will be approximately 16 hours of lost economic activity over a period of 5 years
16 hours? Can you point me to in the direction of that information? I thought it leak regarding the analysis done in fall of 2015 was for 15,000 lost jobs and 4 billion drop in household income.

There was some hand waving about different assumptions but the government didn't bother to do any kind of updated analysis with their assumptions & calculations or release any kind of information since.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #86
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
What did you buy?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #87
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
Notley just posted this to facebook.
Huh, I thought Facebook was finally planning to tackle this whole fake news problem.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #88
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
...advance green solutions faster.
What green solutions. How much do they cost, how do they work, how long will it take for them to be significant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
What did you buy?
Hot air.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #89
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
We don't have a choice and must endure Nutbar and her poorly planned carbon tax. We still have to wait to see what kind of energy efficiency rebates the NDP is going to offer. Then there's the tricke down effect from this tax that will only increase the price of goods and services we buy. How much is anyones guess and economists don't know.

She brags all the time about the 2 pipelines and the possible 22,000 jobs it will create but in reality there are no shovels in ground and probably won't be for the froseeable future. Protests and court cases will delay this thing for years.
You sound like every other person who comments on Facebook articles when you call her Nutbar. Let me guess, Trudumb is another personal favorite.

Kevin O'Leary...Man, if he's our next premier we are doing no better than a Trump run America.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #90
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
You sound like every other person who comments on Facebook articles when you call her Nutbar. Let me guess, Trudumb is another personal favorite.

Kevin O'Leary...Man, if he's our next premier we are doing no better than a Trump run America.
Premier? I thought the rumor was that he was running federally?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #91
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
What green solutions. How much do they cost, how do they work, how long will it take for them to be significant.
I don't know, that's not my field of expertise.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #92
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Premier? I thought the rumor was that he was running federally?
You're right. I thought he was mulling joining the provincial PC leadership run. He won't win against Trudeau in that case.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #93
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
What did you buy?
33.33 liters of high octane ultra clean gasoline. Horse and buggy are in the shop.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #94
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
You're right. I thought he was mulling joining the provincial PC leadership run. He won't win against Trudeau in that case.
Mr Wonderful won't win the federal PC leadership race.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #95
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I don't know, that's not my field of expertise.
"This carbon tax is a great deal cuz investment and stuff and green tech and stuff and no cities under water and other stuffs too!"

"Could you expand on that?"

"Pffft how the hell should I know?"
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #96
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Congrats, you are one step closer to receiving a rebate
Old 01-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #97
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I stole a sandwich from the grocery store today and gave half of it to a homeless guy and the other half fell on the ground. The grocery store makes lot's of money and will not notice the $6 dollar difference. I've circumvented the gas meter at my house as times are getting a little tight financially, one house will not make a big difference. I also broke into someone's expensive SUV and took a small handful of change and gave it to the teenager working at Tim's, some of it fell in the sewer.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clarkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #98
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Congrats, you are one step closer to receiving a rebate
Not really. I don't think my 2015 tax return qualifies me. I'll have to get creative this year so I can get my snoot in the 2017 trough.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #99
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
16 hours? Can you point me to in the direction of that information? I thought it leak regarding the analysis done in fall of 2015 was for 15,000 lost jobs and 4 billion drop in household income.

There was some hand waving about different assumptions but the government didn't bother to do any kind of updated analysis with their assumptions & calculations or release any kind of information since.
The partial study suggested a drop of 1% to 1.5% in GDP over a period between 2017 to 2022. So that's about a days worth of economic activity.

It's also important to note that the partial study that only factors in the revenue collecting side and ignores the spending side of the revenue. This is important because the majority of revenue from the carbon Tax is used for output-based allocations for large emitters which will significantly mitigate the effects of the carbon tax.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #100
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
"This carbon tax is a great deal cuz investment and stuff and green tech and stuff and no cities under water and other stuffs too!"

"Could you expand on that?"

"Pffft how the hell should I know?"

https://www.alberta.ca/climate-carbon-pricing.aspx

Hey, I googled that for you.

"$6.2 billion will help diversify our energy industry and create new jobs:

$3.4 billion for large scale renewable energy, bioenergy and technology
$2.2 billion for green infrastructure like public transit
$645 million for Energy Efficiency Alberta, a new provincial agency that will support energy efficiency programs and services for homes and businesses"

But hey instead of using the internet for a second why not take an easy way out and do a lazy drive by instead?

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-02-2017 at 06:25 PM.