Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Kevin O'Leary's Letter to Premier Notley - Carbon Tax Discussion

http://m.edmontonsun.com/2016/12/31/...-rachel-notley

Quote:
Your NDP government has spent a lot of money trying to convince people this new carbon tax is good thing but I am here to tell them the cold hard truth.
The fact is Canada must compete with the United States in oil and gas and they have no carbon tax, not to mention a much lower corporate tax rate.
I have explained to you before that energy is the No.1 export in Canada by miles; nothing even comes close. Energy, energy service, and transportation represent 40% of our economy. It's a big deal! Like it or not Premier Notley no matter how you try and put it down, the oil and gas business will continue to be the major driving force behind Alberta's standard of living.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think there will be a lot of people who are going to wind up very confused about the difference between what they wind up paying for the carbon tax and what they were promised/budgeted for based on the flawed calculators that the government has been pushing via the media.

Anyone who voted NDP has zero right to complain about these costs as well. They did their research and knew who they were voting for. None of this should be a surprise to them.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

^In a democracy doesn't everyone have the right to complain about anything?
Old 01-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I'm back from BC, and I see gas prices have risen a solid ten cents per litre. What happened to the .04 I was told would be the case?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, I'm back from BC, and I see gas prices have risen a solid ten cents per litre. What happened to the .04 I was told would be the case?
Gas prices rose late in the week everywhere.. Some refinery line from the industry saying they weren't making money. Victoria went from 1.17 to 1.26
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The carbon tax at the pump 4.5 cents didn't include the Oil companies passing on their carbon costs to the consumer including transportation, and costs of keeping their own lights on.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Greed.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Greed.
Yup, the NDP is greedy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

lmao. oh man, this is comical. gas prices have gone from 88 cents a litre to as high as over a dollar 5 over the last 3 years, with almost no bearing on the price of oil. people here were rightfully outraged at the greedy and "#### you pay me" mentality of the oil industry. 4 cents a litre on an internationally agreed upon carbon tax and the hysterics ive read online is pure gold.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
4 cents a litre on an internationally agreed upon carbon tax and the hysterics ive read online is pure gold.
Prices have gone up more than 4 cents per litre, though, is the point. Is the excess a result of opportunism by the industry or the real cost of a carbon tax that's obviously going to exceed the levy at the pump? Probably a combination of both.

Unfortunately the provincial government is pathologically incapable of honesty about the real cost of this whole regime so the amount of blame you decide to place on various actors will probably align with your pre-existing biases... exhibits of which may be viewed in preceding posts.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The carbon tax at the pump 4.5 cents didn't include the Oil companies passing on their carbon costs to the consumer including transportation, and costs of keeping their own lights on.
How do you explain the increase before today? Gas was $1.11/L yesterday, $0.10 more than a week prior, the cost per barrel only went up about $2 in that same time period. It's almost as if the gas companies are gouging us with or without a carbon tax, don't you think?

Last edited by iggy_oi; 01-01-2017 at 04:30 PM.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #13
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

she will do whatever prime minister zoo lander wants, she is his lap dog...
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #14
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lmao. oh man, this is comical. gas prices have gone from 88 cents a litre to as high as over a dollar 5 over the last 3 years, with almost no bearing on the price of oil. people here were rightfully outraged at the greedy and "#### you pay me" mentality of the oil industry. 4 cents a litre on an internationally agreed upon carbon tax and the hysterics ive read online is pure gold.
Gas prices mirror crude prices almost exactly. Our carbon tax is hardly internationally agreed upon. And it's not the 4 cents that causes the hysterics.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #15
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Gas prices mirror crude prices almost exactly
This is not accurate, if the price of oil goes back to $100/barrel(double what it is now) you will not be seeing $2/L prices at the pump.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #16
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Gas prices mirror crude prices almost exactly. Our carbon tax is hardly internationally agreed upon. And it's not the 4 cents that causes the hysterics.
In addition to this, it's not only going to be the 4.5 cents. It will end up being more since the entire thing winds up being a double/triple/whatever tax once the consumer pumps the gas or eats the food.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #17
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
In addition to this, it's not only going to be the 4.5 cents. It will end up being more since the entire thing winds up being a double/triple/whatever tax once the consumer pumps the gas or eats the food.
So you are under the belief that we will be paying 9-13.5 cents per litre more at the pumps? You do realize that any increased cost that is passed on to the consumers would be divided amongst all consumers right? If they really raise the prices at the levels you're suggesting it's not because of the carbon tax, it's greed.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #18
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Still way lower than the boom prices of 1.40 / litre for regular gasoline, 10 years ago.

Ironically I remember all of the expensive #### being sold during the boom. Things seem to be a bit lower in price these days if you look hard enough. Gasoline, beef, some vegetables to name a few.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #19
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yep sure looks like an internationally agreed upon tax.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fr...-idUSKCN12K2OG

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/austral...ears-1.2709642

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...nitiative-732/
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #20
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Now I won't be able to afford my Vanilla Latte.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post: