Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #401
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I'd be in. This time for real
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #402
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm enjoying playing on Jayocal's server. I've been looking at their stuff trying to figure out how to build all the crazy contraptions.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #403
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'm enjoying playing on Jayocal's server. I've been looking at their stuff trying to figure out how to build all the crazy contraptions.
I'm happy you're enjoying the server. I got most of the contraption ideas from youtube and just added a few of my own modifications.

My favorite so far is the Skeleton XP trap located deep in my mine. I rigged it so before the skeletons get to the kill point, they fall 23 blocks down (idea from youtube.)

The fall almost kills them which allows you to kill them yourself with one shot using a non weapon or tool (which wears out.) You can use bread, bones, fist or whatever item that doesn't degrade.

I've made an ideal waiting area (20 minutes or so works best) that allows the skeletons to collect and the spawner to keep spawning.

I've also built a maxed out enchanting table nearby to use your XP.

There is also a skeleton "lava blade" contraption in my mine that allows to collect bones and arrows but no XP. The lave blade kills them and the goods simply float to you!

You can be AFK (away from keyboard) safely for both of these.
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #404
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just made a pen in my house full of chickens. Next step will be to install a bunch of hoppers underneath and hook them up to a dropper and dispenser to fire the eggs back into the pen.

I'm trying to build the machine Aegypticus made in his YouTube video.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #405
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

In the new snapshot if you attack a zombie they can spawn more of them. I just had a horde straight out of Walking Dead come after me. They were even falling from the sky. Luckily it was daytime so they mostly burned up, and I was able to run into my house.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #406
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Can someone provide me some tech support? I've spent a bit looking through minecraft forums to no avail.

I'm running a minecraft server using craftbukkit, for my nieces.

I've been able to import schematics into the world using MCEdit, but I'm trying to add "Funland" which has level.dat etc etc.

How do I add this to my world? I tried opening the level.dat via MCedit to then copy the part of the world I want and export it to a schematic, but that didn't work because when I loaded the level it said there were "no chunks", and creating those left me with a small random world without the pieces I wanted.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #407
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are going to need to load the world seperately with a plugin like Multiverse, and then once it is loaded you can copy it using world edit, or leave it running a seperate world with warps between them.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #408
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry to bump and old thread.

My kids have recently become hooked on minecraft. They play on a ipad/iPod but recently have been asking for the computer version (iMac). My kids are 7 and 9. Is it worth buying the PC version? Any major differences they are missing out on. What about the ps4 version that is coming out? Wait for that version?

Thanks.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #409
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I played, there was a ton of stuff that made the PC version better, multiplayer, mods, etc. I know there have been improvements to the iOS version, but I seriously doubt it can match the PC version.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #410
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah PC version is mod-able and gets the updates the fastest mostly.

Mind you mods might be a disadvantage, since you'll probably have to be the one installing them and they can be highly annoying, with some mod makers only supporting specific versions of minecraft.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #411
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dont know much about the PS3/4 versions, but IOS version is very bare bones compared to PC. It lacks any sort of multiplayer at the moment, the map is very small vs on PC its endless, and it has a small percentage of the materials and items the PC version has. PC has custom skins and armor, but the biggest thing is IOS doesnt have any caves. I do think I heard they might be releasing an update soin though

I don't play minecraft much but im sure others know of a lot more that the IOS version lacks
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #412
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been getting into this game lately. My boys started playing it and my 9 year old has really taken to it. My 6 year old loves it too but can't do a lot of the things his older brother has figured out.

I have my own world (in creative mode) where I am building a massive castle. I'm just randomly building and adding on here and there. I build a small castle on their original creative mode world and they loved to go and see the updates, so now I'm doing one on my own world and they don't know about it yet. It will be fun to let the go explore it once I'm done (if being done with a project is ever a thing in minecraft).

What an addictive game.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #413
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I've been getting into this game lately. My boys started playing it and my 9 year old has really taken to it. My 6 year old loves it too but can't do a lot of the things his older brother has figured out.

I have my own world (in creative mode) where I am building a massive castle. I'm just randomly building and adding on here and there. I build a small castle on their original creative mode world and they loved to go and see the updates, so now I'm doing one on my own world and they don't know about it yet. It will be fun to let the go explore it once I'm done (if being done with a project is ever a thing in minecraft).

What an addictive game.
Can I ask what version you are playing? PC, iOS?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #414
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Can I ask what version you are playing? PC, iOS?
I'm playing the PC version.

My boys really really want me to buy an XBox so they can play with Stampy Cat. They think that because they watch his videos that he is their BFF. I'm not buying an XBox.

Last edited by Buff; 06-24-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #415
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My kids watch a lot of minecraft videos on YouTube and want some of the stuff they see. I think there is an update coming soon to the iOS version that will add a bunch of stuff. I'll see how that works out before I buy the PC version.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #416
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Sorry to bump and old thread.

My kids have recently become hooked on minecraft. They play on a ipad/iPod but recently have been asking for the computer version (iMac). My kids are 7 and 9. Is it worth buying the PC version? Any major differences they are missing out on. What about the ps4 version that is coming out? Wait for that version?

Thanks.
This is coming from someone who is almost exclusively a PC gamer, but I'd get the PC version for the mouse and keyboard support alone. If I had to play on a touchscreen or a gamepad I'm sure I'd have lots of holes in my walls.

Of course, there are lots of other reasons to play PC, many already mentioned.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 06:17 PM   #417
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Bump! Curious if anyone is still playing on any servers, or has a server running? The wife and I are looking to play again but would like to play with some other people. If there's any suggestions on servers as well, that would be great. Thanks!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #418
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Bump! Curious if anyone is still playing on any servers, or has a server running? The wife and I are looking to play again but would like to play with some other people. If there's any suggestions on servers as well, that would be great. Thanks!
I've taken some time away from the game recently, but thinking of getting back into it when 1.9 comes out. Playing single can get tiresome so I would also prefer playing with others, and would be happy to contribute $$$ to renting a server for a while. I think there are some decent options out there.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:42 AM   #419
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd love to fire my minecraft server back up. I've put a lot of time into my world along with some other people, including a cp member or 2. I'm leaving for holidays in the morning but I'll be back in about 10 days. If you're still interested, I'll go live again and post the login details here.
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayocal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #420
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayocal View Post
I'd love to fire my minecraft server back up. I've put a lot of time into my world along with some other people, including a cp member or 2. I'm leaving for holidays in the morning but I'll be back in about 10 days. If you're still interested, I'll go live again and post the login details here.
I'll be out of town for the next 2 weeks so that would line up great for me!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote