Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #81
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Design aside...

To my mind, three things are critical:
1. Downtown location.
2. Along the C-Train line.
3. Close proximity to restaurants and pubs.

I don't know if we could have actually fit it in that block, but I think the site of the old Herald building (well, the whole block) that Brookfield is working on right now would have been a pretty sweet spot for it. Would have given us more reason to invest in cleaning up that sketchy stretch along 7th Ave in front of The De La Mere Block. Stephen Ave is just a block away, and there are C-Train stations on either side.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #82
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

If done right, I think a sandstone style could work well for the arena, it is the local stone. A great example of a new building done right is the John Labatt Centre in London, Ontario. Blends in perfectly with the older architecture of downtown London, and doesn't have a fake replica look at all in my opinion:

Another arena that rocks the brick theme really well is Ralph Englestad arena at UND:

J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #83
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There is an arena in Europe that has the hyperbolic, saddle shape, but it's all glass. I can remember for the life of me where. Any help?

I always thought that one would be a cool and modern take on the saddledome design.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #84
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
They should base it on the Peace Bridge.
I hope they do, put a cap on public funding for the Flames at 25 million (cost of the peace bridge) and make the Flames find the rest of the money. I am assuming this is what you meant.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #85
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Stampede grounds are unable to produce what the Flames want, what about the if the new arena is placed by the Sunalta Station? That area could use a huge boost.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #86
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
If the Stampede grounds are unable to produce what the Flames want, what about the if the new arena is placed by the Sunalta Station? That area could use a huge boost.
The west village area that is one of the potential sites being talked about is right beside Sunalra station.

I imagine that the Flames first choice is just north of the saddledome, and the second choice would be in the west village.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #87
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I think it's pretty much a guarantee that it won't be on Stampede grounds. Flames will want the parking revenue.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #88
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
I hope they do, put a cap on public funding for the Flames at 25 million (cost of the peace bridge) and make the Flames find the rest of the money. I am assuming this is what you meant.
Nope, it's not.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #89
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Aldermen says Flames Arena plans is news to them

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/526...tm_source=t.co

Quote:
Ald. Ray Jones, council’s representative on the Saddledome Foundation board, said Sunday he hadn’t heard of any new arena plans and the Flames have not made any requests to the city to that effect.
If such a proposal were to include a request for financial involvement from the city, Jones said the matter should be put to the citizens of Calgary.
“I would love to do it with a plebiscite,” he said. “Let the people of the city decide: Do you want your taxpayer dollars spent on this?”
Ald. Andre Chabot doubted a plebiscite would be necessary, noting polls within the last few years have shown Calgarians are overwhelmingly opposed to putting tax dollars towards a new arena.
“I think the general public is of the opinion that it’s a fairly lucrative industry – certainly insofar as the players and the kind of money they’re making – and they don’t feel that they should be contributing to their profitability,” Chabot said.
The Calgary Flames told Metro on Sunday the club had no immediate comment on the matter.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #90
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

double post
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #91
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do your job Jones.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #92
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Ald. Ray Jones, council’s representative on the Saddledome Foundation board, said Sunday he hadn’t heard of any new arena plans and the Flames have not made any requests to the city to that effect.
If such a proposal were to include a request for financial involvement from the city, Jones said the matter should be put to the citizens of Calgary.
“I would love to do it with a plebiscite,” he said. “Let the people of the city decide: Do you want your taxpayer dollars spent on this?”
Ald. Andre Chabot doubted a plebiscite would be necessary, noting polls within the last few years have shown Calgarians are overwhelmingly opposed to putting tax dollars towards a new arena.
“I think the general public is of the opinion that it’s a fairly lucrative industry – certainly insofar as the players and the kind of money they’re making – and they don’t feel that they should be contributing to their profitability,” Chabot said.
The Calgary Flames told Metro on Sunday the club had no immediate comment on the matter.[/url]
Too bad all the dumb pet projects these alderman have aren't put to plebiscite.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames in 07 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #93
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm kind of hoping they design it similar to the old Kooteny Ice arena in Cranbrook.

-Nice and long
-Looks similar to a barn to keep with our stampede theme
-Ice cold inside, so although it wil be unbearable to sit in, the ice shouldn't be an issue
-Nice plain colours, with two....silver rectangle thingies for added asthetics
-lightposts for parking lot
-couldn't have possibly cost more than $50 000 to build, so no taxpayer money needed

She's a beauty

jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #94
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
I'm kind of hoping they design it similar to the old Kooteny Ice arena in Cranbrook.

-Nice and long
-Ice cold inside, so although it wil be unbearable to sit in, the ice shouldn't be an issue
-couldn't have possibly cost more than $50 000 to build, so no taxpayer money needed

She's a beauty
Looks good, that should keep the lowest common denominator, populist alderman happy.

Not using public money because the owners and players of a team will stand to be more profitable, is a silly, petty, misery loves company confirming reason. If someone didn't want to use public money because they believe in a better use then that's different. But who cares if NHL owners are richer, if that's the best use for funds then you allocate in that way. People make money personally as a result of how public funds are used all the time.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #95
fastpuck
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post

-Nice and long

She's a beauty

Oh yah, this is a winner, loading dock entrance that can' t accommodate big trucks and Barny paint job on in the inside. The pool is hideous. But the ice is nice. Total snow job for Cranbrook, through the whole process of plebiscite to awful arena partnership with Keen Rose.
fastpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #96
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
Too bad all the dumb pet projects these alderman have aren't put to plebiscite.
A new arena for the Flames would be the ultimate dumb pet project.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #97
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
A new arena for the Flames would be the ultimate dumb pet project.
There will be lots of public money spent on the new arena, this shouldn't surprise or shock anyone. Get over it.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #98
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I heard the new arena will be by Millennium park. Make sense with the new Ctrain, but not sure about the parking..?
Jbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #99
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
There will be lots of public money spent on the new arena, this shouldn't surprise or shock anyone. Get over it.
Considering that council has no desire to fund any portion of the arena, and the team seemingly has no desire to involve council, I think the chances of public money funding the arena are pretty small.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #100
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Another arena that rocks the brick theme really well is Ralph Englestad arena at UND:
Sorry, but this is plain awful. Looks like a tacky and cheap version of olden-times....without the charm or quality.

The last place anyone should be looking towards for architectural inspiration is North Dakota.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote