Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #41
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm just saying that maybe we should be counting her fingers and toenails.
Actually this is likely her. She's been posting inflammatory stuff for a long long time.
http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2014/06/...hotos-facebook
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #42
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Yes it's really her. I have a friend who has her on her friends list from years ago and was showing me her stupid remarks for a long time, well before current events. This is the first time the west has ever really heard about her though. I wasn't following HK politics at the time and didn't get what the big deal was until now. Now the connection clicks.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-02-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #43
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

With parts of HK blocked off because of protests, others are a ghost town.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #44
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Is it a real 'hate' or is it more negative sentiment like we have in Alberta v Quebec?

I would imagine it's neither, but closer to the first? It's world examples like this which you have brought up that I like to point to when people here start whinging about how different and divisive Canada is.
I guess hate may be over-exaggerating, but it's definitely a lot more than Alberta / Quebec. There is definitely a genuine dislike for one another in China, where as here, it's more grumbling and complaining about one another rather than actual disliking.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #45
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agent provocateurs seem to have appeared in Hong Kong with masked men, so called "anti-Occupy" protesters, getting into scuffles w/ Occupy central protesters. Police stand by and do nothing as a group of these started getting into scuffles with the Occupy protesters

Quote:
7.40pm Causeway Bay: Protesters grow angry because police didn't make arrests after scuffles with the masked men. One woman shouts "Why didn't you do anything?" while the crowd chants "Shame on you" at the police.

7.30pm Causeway Bay: An organised group of about 30 men wearing masks broke through Hennesy Road and reached Jardine's Bazaar and began removing barricades there. Police tried to contain the situation, but fights flared up involving men, police and protesters. Police officers formed a human cordon separating protesters and the group of men. The group of men left, splitting into two groups. The student group has managed to expand outside the previously tightening cordon as Occupy reinforcements stream in. Students scream at the those opposing the demonstrations, accusing them of being hired by the government or Beijing. Few police officers are seen as the battlelines grow increasingly blurred.
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...d-open-traffic

Random thugs seem to be coming in and there are reported cases of rape against woman protesters now. Some of these thugs are better equipped than these protesters as a random dump truck just came out of no where and started tearing down protester barricades. Police are doing nothing to stop them. Protesters supposedly record the guys getting paid by someone to do the removal and to fight Occupy protesters.

Spoiler!

Last edited by FlameOn; 10-03-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #46
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wheres 'Murica in all this?

Isnt this usually where the F18s fly in behind a bald eagle and a cheeseburger?

These people are protesting for Democracy and Freedom but dont have oil. That might make it confusing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #47
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

These people are protesting for Democracy and Freedom but dont have oil. That might make it confusing.
Bringing freedom to Ebola patients and ISIS
Old 10-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #48
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

With growing reports of violence, rape and scuffles, the deputy chairman of the Hong Kong legislative council’s security panel is now accusing elements within Hong Kong's government of hiring Triad members to try to break up the anti-Occupy protests.

Quote:
The deputy chairman of the Hong Kong legislative council’s security panel has accused the government of working with criminal gangs to break up pro-democracy protests.

Legislator James To told his fellow pan-democratic members on Saturday that “the [Hong Kong] government has used organised, orchestrated forces and even triad gangs in [an] attempt to disperse citizens,” according to the South China Morning Post.

His comments came as fresh clashes erupted between pro-democracy protesters and armed thugs on Saturday, with student leaders also accusing the government and the police of allowing triad gangs to attack them.

Witnesses said about 1,000 protesters faced off in Mong Kok, a densely populated known for its gang presence, at mid-morning on Saturday, but there were no uniformed police in sight.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...sters#comments

This type of thing seems directly out of Russia's playbook. Where is Wei Shen to deal with this when you need him?
Old 10-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #49
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I actually don't think the government is deploying the triads, the protestors are blocking small gang affiliated shops that are used as triad money laundreres which is putting them on the bad side of the triads
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #50
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually heard a very very good opinion yesterday during a discussion over dinner.

Right now, China is basically doing damage control at the moment, not so much over the the Occupy Central, but over Chinese Citizens (separate from Hong Kong/Macau). They are now no longer giving automatic visas for tour groups to Hong Kong, the likely reason being that they don't want to start giving their citizen any ideas.

A person who was walking through one of the occupy sites, mentioned that they saw people from Mainland China explaining to their kids why that is happening, what it means to have democracy, and what it means to fight for democracy.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #51
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is the state of hong kong right now?
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #52
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

This story has kind of died off the front page of both newspapers and tv news, and here a CP also..

but it looks like things aren't going so well for the protestors...

Quote:
HONG KONG: Hong Kong police clashed with protesters early Sunday, with the government saying 20 people were injured in a fourth night of violence after nearly three weeks of largely peaceful pro-democracy rallies.

Dozens of police with shields and helmets pushed into a crowd of protesters gathered at barricades in the northern district of Mongkok, striking at them repeatedly with batons.

Some demonstrators had to be carried away on stretchers and others treated for head wounds, fractures and bruising, according to AFP journalists and medics at the scene.

Police said in a statement Sunday that they had used "minimum force" as protesters "suddenly attempted to charge" their cordon lines.

However protesters told AFP they had done nothing to provoke officers. The city's government information service said 20 people involved in protest activities had been injured between 10pm and 6am -- but would not specify how many were demonstrators or police, the extent of the injuries, or if they all took place in the Mongkok area.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...w/44873703.cms

I don't know if you can really believe the 20 people injured claim by the Chinese/Hong Kong government. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a lot more.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #53
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Sad news, though it does follow the expected script. :/
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #54
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

China also has nukes and is one of their bigger trade partners.

To be fair, nations all over the world don't pay enough attention to China's human rights abuses. However, I'm not really sure what you can do to be honest. The best play might just be to further trade with them and have it slowly 'westernize' over time, as it has been,.

In fact, even if we could directly affect change in China, going at it slowly and organically works a lot better than trying to impose any sort of 'democracy', rule of law, or code of morals, as the middle east has proven.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:08 PM   #55
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://business.financialpost.com/20...g-kong-slaves/

Laura Cha, who is also a member of Hong Kong’s policy-making Executive Council, chairwoman of the city’s Financial Services Development Council and a member of China’s parliament, was quoted as making the comments at an event in Paris.

“American slaves were liberated in 1861 but did not get voting rights until 107 years later, so why can’t Hong Kong wait for a while?” the Standard newspaper on Thursday quoted Cha as saying, referring to demands for free elections in the former British colony.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote