Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 09-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #61
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Haha, that's a great quote. "Believe whatever you want, I'm 37 years old now".
I'm a man, I'm 40!
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Arya Stark For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #62
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
They should have used a rifle, not a shotgun.
The fact that you think they should have used a rifle instead of a shotgun in a populated area is pretty shocking. You have zero control over where ricochets go.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #63
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Justice minister orders review of fatal cougar shooting

Quote:
Jonathan Denis, Alberta’s Minister of Justice and Solicitor General has ordered a review of the decision to shoot and kill a cougar spotted near the South Health Campus Thursday morning.

“I just want to make sure that proper practices were followed. Of course we have to look at human safety but also the welfare of animals,” Denis said. “That’s why I’ve ordered a review in it.”

Before the cougar was removed from the area, Fish and Wildlife Officers say they had no choice but to shoot and kill the cougar.

“I want people to have every confidence that their law enforcement is accountable,” Denis said. “When people express concern I want there to be an open and transparent process.”
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #64
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That is just plain stupid in my opinion. You are giving these idiots a voice when they don't deserve one.

There is 0 evidence of any wrongdoing, even with video, so why investigate it? They weren't shooting it for fun and handled it accordingly. Investigating every incident just because some dimwits who watched a video and now feel like David Suzuki and that saving the planet was their calling is not right IMHO.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arya Stark For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #65
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
I can't tell if this post is serious, or, ironically, a dumb joke...
The last part was a bit of a joke

I was being serious about the cougar being near a high population place during daylight, edge of the city or not a large healthy cat never goes near human populations during the day. I suspect it was either injured or sick, if it wasn't and was just very brave it's probably a good thing they killed it.

BTW, a 200lb cougar is way scarier than 200lb 40 year old woman
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #66
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
That is just plain stupid in my opinion. You are giving these idiots a voice when they don't deserve one.

There is 0 evidence of any wrongdoing, even with video, so why investigate it? They weren't shooting it for fun and handled it accordingly. Investigating every incident just because some dimwits who watched a video and now feel like David Suzuki and that saving the planet was their calling is not right IMHO.
It's a waste of time and money, but hopefully it will shut the idiots up...

yeah right.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #67
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I agree that it was likely the right decision, there was a firearm used, an animal killed and an apparent public outcry. I see no harm in a review.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #68
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
The head was a lot easier to shoot at than the heart from where the cougar was laying. You say the head is a small target. Compare it to the size of a cougars heart.....

Believe whatever you want, I'm 37 years old now. They should have used a rifle, not a shotgun.
You aim for the heart, and in all likelihood, at minimum you hit a vital organ. You aim for the head and miss there approximately is a 3/4 change you hit nothing. From where that cat was shot, had they attempted a head shot, with a rifle and missed, the bullet would have likely ended up in one of the houses across the street.

But yeah, "Boom Headshot!" COD Black Ops strategy was the way to go. It really was.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #69
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm the biggest hippy on this forum and I believe those men acted right. Them there cowards with their cell phone cameras proclaiming it's not right from their safe disgrace are fos.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to terminator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #70
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
You aim for the heart, and in all likelihood, at minimum you hit a vital organ. You aim for the head and miss there approximately is a 3/4 change you hit nothing. From where that cat was shot, had they attempted a head shot, with a rifle and missed, the bullet would have likely ended up in one of the houses across the street.

But yeah, "Boom Headshot!" COD Black Ops strategy was the way to go. It really was.
It was laying in the grass, the heart wasn't an option. In A perfect world obviously you go for the heart, but it wasn't an option. Keep playing doom win your shotgun though.

Also the background to where they were shooting was the ground and a brick wall, not houses.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #71
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

My argument about weapons aside, it took them 3 shots to put a cougar down. Some think as long as the cougar got put down, it's great. I think they did the right thing putting it down, but taking 3 shots just proves how they didn't do it the right way.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #72
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My argument about weapons aside, it took them 3 shots to put a cougar down. Some think as long as the cougar got put down, it's great. I think they did the right thing putting it down, but taking 3 shots just proves how they didn't do it the right way.
To be fair, I think there'd still be a crowd screaming "overkill" if they had pumped 10 rounds into the cat. I don't know if there was any way this could have played out and not have someone be upset.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #73
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
To be fair, I think there'd still be a crowd screaming "overkill" if they had pumped 10 rounds into the cat. I don't know if there was any way this could have played out and not have someone be upset.
I agree, this really seems to be an exercise in righteous indignation for the sake of righteous indignation. I really believe you don't mess around with cougars that come into populated area's, this is an animal that can come to see us as prey.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #74
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Hard to tell from the vid but wasn't it somewhat tallish grass?

In any case these big cats don't give up easily, if your shot isn't perfect their not laying down playing dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
I really believe you don't mess around with cougars that come into populated area's, this is an animal that can come to see us as prey.
Make no mistake, they already see us as prey, it's just most of them are smart enough to eat us on their terms.

Last edited by T@T; 09-21-2014 at 09:07 PM.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #75
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
It's near the edge of town. Not really much around it so he probably just wandered in
Great place for a hospital.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #76
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget, the plan is for Seton and Mahogany to take over the world.

No place for cats up in that mess.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #77
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

In Denis' defence, I think it is SOP to review any incident where a cop uses their gun. I wouldn't be surprised if it is similar for fish and wildlife officers, especially given it was in a populated area.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #78
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Great place for a hospital.
I know eh?

God forbid the city plan ahead for growth......

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #79
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The cougar is dead, I would suggest that they did do it the right way.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:15 AM   #80
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I know eh?

God forbid the city plan ahead for growth......
Planning ahead for growth would mean planning ahead to put a hospital there.

... or not blowing up / selling off hospitals downtown.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post: