Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #461
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I wonder how increased Scottish "rights" and say at the table will affect Wales and NA?

I wonder if they will want increased say as well.
I think after this Westminster will realise things have to change.
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #462
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder how increased Scottish "rights" and say at the table will affect Wales and NA?

It seems as though the issue of increased governance is a major issue within the UK and Westminster. It is not just Scotland, as a country, that wants more power and control but local authorities appear to want more control as well. It seems like there is a lot of tension with Westminster.

Quote:
Westminster Must Grant Our Cities the Same Powers it's Giving Scotland
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...-Scotland.html

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 09-19-2014 at 08:07 PM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #463
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much power do the various UK component have on how the country is governed? Would Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland, Ilse of Mann, Channel Islands and England have powers and representation on a federal level similar to how provinces and territories in Canada do?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #464
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Wales and Northern Ireland were all over that "vow" demanding the same. One of the PM's own ministers is also arguing in favour of an English Parliament to match that of the other three so as to prevent the Scots, Welsh and Irish from having a vote on English affairs.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #465
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Yeah its quite ridiculous, if you are a Scottish citizen you should be able to vote.

This certainly hurt the Yes vote, there are lots of EU and British citizens in Scotland working, while there are plenty of expats all around the world.
There's no such thing as a Scottish citizans, that was the point of the vote, ex pats within the UK were polled and, surprise surprise were massively no voters.

I have never voted in UK elections since I came to Canada and never would, I do not have any moral right to affect the lives of people where I don't have to be affected myself, unless you are actually moving back to canada you shouldn't be voting on how canada is run.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #466
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 09-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #467
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmm, I was wrong with my expectations.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #468
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile Russia, the absolute pinnacle of democratic transparency, has now said the vote was rigged because "the counting rooms were too big and did not meet international standards". I feel like their propaganda machine has entered the twilight zone.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...dum?CMP=twt_gu

Last edited by FlameOn; 09-19-2014 at 05:47 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #469
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Whaaaaa...?

Why would they even care? How does it affect their policy?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #470
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There is actually video footage from a Sky news broadcast showing a pile of "YES" votes on a table clearly marked "NO". They could of been in the process of counting the votes, but why are they on that table? Maybe it's pure coincidence but at the very least the media should bring this to everyone's attention.
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #471
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Investigate for sure, but I doubt it's anything. A vote this important always has 'stories' like this come out. Usually it's nothing.

Unless it's Florida. But they have a long history of not being able to do anything right. Elections or otherwise.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #472
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
There is actually video footage from a Sky news broadcast showing a pile of "YES" votes on a table clearly marked "NO". They could of been in the process of counting the votes, but why are they on that table? Maybe it's pure coincidence but at the very least the media should bring this to everyone's attention.
It really doesn't matter what table they're on since those ballots are obviously already counted. Given the amount of votes that were counted you're bound to have a few mistakes. Both sides had a large number of scrutineers that monitored the elections and they would have noticed any significant discrepancy.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #473
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Whaaaaa...?

Why would they even care? How does it affect their policy?
In a word, brainwashing.

That isn't a message for Scotland or the UK. It's a message for the Russian people meant to train them into believing that black is white, up is down, and Russia is right.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #474
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_flame View Post
So you're saying I'm lying. I didn't open my facebook to see what people are saying to no voters? Or what I saw in George square?
Look at all these peaceful "no" bunch, just minding their own business and such

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...nce-supporters

Quote:
Six people were arrested amid angry scenes in Glasgow on Friday night as a group of young pro-union supporters clashed with pro-independence supporters who had been gathering in George Square throughout the day.

Police acted to separate a small group of pro-independence supporters from a group of skinheads believed to have marched from the loyalist pub the Louden Tavern in nearby Duke Street.

Individuals argued over the referendum result and a chorus of Rule Britannia was countered by Flower of Scotland.

As the evening wore on, and the yes supporters dispersed, more loyalists converged on the square, many of them draped in union flags.

A number were teenagers, and clearly drunk. At one point a section of the crowd broke through police lines and marched up the central shopping area of Buchanan Street, chanting the words to Rule Britannia. Some shouted loyalist slogans and racist abuse, and appeared to make Nazi salutes.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote