Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should CP do with the YLYL thread
Keep it but moderate more tightly including comments 41 13.67%
Keep it as is 157 52.33%
Get rid of it 70 23.33%
Keep it but allow content within to be fully inclusive 32 10.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

In this case the thank was shorthand for "You made me laugh thank you, the reasons for which are varied and deep and as inscrutable as the night."
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #22
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I want to be a mod for a week, photon. What do i have to do to make this happen? Help a guy out here!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #23
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

You cannot make Flys in Sweatpants a mod. He's doing a great job unofficially moderating the whole place already.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Step 1: Break into Cerebro.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #25
jayswin

Exp:

Okay, you conduct a poll with the other mods in your secret forum, then I'll tell you why the mods who voted no are wrong and then I get my mod trial. Deal?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #26
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
You cannot make Flys in Sweatpants a mod. He's doing a great job unofficially moderating the whole place already.
That's a great Point, sportsjunky; already moderates the forum, doesn't require training. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #27
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
It would be interesting to get the POV from all our female posters on that thread
In general I just stray away from that thread, and often have to eventually extract myself from any thread that discusses sexism/misogyny/etc, because there are a choice few on this board whose views on women are so incredibly infuriating that I just have to step back rather than continue arguing in circles with someone whose opinion is never going to change.

The issue for me isn't the simple appreciation of an attractive woman--for example, my best friend is a huge WWE fan, and I'm most certainly not, but believe you me, when Seth Rollins takes his shirt off, I sit up and take notice. The issue is the way that objectification of women goes far beyond just appreciating the aesthetic.

Studies have shown that when men look at women in bikinis, the brain activity is not that of dealing with an entity capable of critical thinking, but instead that of an object, a tool. That's not overt sexism in these men, necessarily, but it's the way society has trained men to view women. Possessions, trophies, objects to be attained.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...n-objects.html
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #28
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

I don't want to go into it that deeply, but I don't think you have to be a feminist at all to think that there is something disturbing about pictures where women are presented effectively as trophies, decorations or even just furniture.
Yes it's the objectification that veers into misogyny (presenting a woman as a trophy, decoration, or otherwise removing the more "human" characteristics of a woman, such as her face, and presenting them only as a sex object). I believe that falls within the definition of misogyny but I'm no means an expert.

Honestly I went into that thread a few times early in it's inception and now I never go in it. It makes me upset so I avoid it.

And yes, my avatar is most definitely tongue in cheek. And some of the posters on CP have and do lose their minds if any attractive men are posted or discussed. It's happened to some of the other female posters who have tried to post attractive men.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peanut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #29
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just remember what posts you thanked here, Peanut.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ight=lundqvist

Edit: Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Did you watch the part where the guitar starts really strumming and he's walking with his shirt off? That's why.
You are doing the same thing you are complaining about.

Last edited by Arya Stark; 09-01-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arya Stark For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #30
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

Lol, I remember. Part of my excitement was a little bit of "just desserts". One guy being ogled here!! As opposed to the thread with hundreds and hundreds of posts. And I thought I was clear - I don't think there is anything wrong with appreciating an attractive man or woman. Reducing a woman to only a sex object is considered part of misogyny (as far as I know anyways). This ad is a classic example of what I mean:

Last edited by Peanut; 09-01-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #31
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:

Given that on the very first page of that, you have guys needing a 'thumbs down' button, and another needlessly pointing out 'he's a man, would not bang,' and then at the end of that first page you have another guy saying how unattractive Lundqvist's wife is--well, that thread pretty much proves the point of the last page and a half of this thread.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #32
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
Given that on the very first page of that, you have guys needing a 'thumbs down' button, and another needlessly pointing out 'he's a man, would not bang,' and then at the end of that first page you have another guy saying how unattractive Lundqvist's wife is--well, that thread pretty much proves the point of the last page and a half of this thread.
No, it doesn't. It just proves how ridiculous the claims of some misogyny is.

I'm not saying there isn't any, but it is very minimal and 99.9% of the guys just like the chick in the bikini and are not Misogynists.

Saying someone is unattractive does not equate to misogyny.

Last edited by Arya Stark; 09-01-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #33
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think I'd trust about 1% of the CP population with mod privileges. Too many oversensitive hot heads in here. Even if someone says something that could be perceived as crossing a line, often times it's never meant that way. Reading text vs someone telling you something face to face are vastly different. Body language and emotion do not play into words on a screen, thus making certain statements more prone to (very) negative interpretation. So you gotta be careful how you react to that as well. You can call them out on it, but don't make it personal. On a forum board it really does just look childish.

For example most things I say here are without any malintent, and especially are never aimed at any particular person here (I may be critical about something, but never making a direct personal insult), and yet people get off on telling me I'm a horrible person, and whatever other variety of insulting thing. I'm thankful for the forum's existence but sometimes can be a damn lava pit.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #34
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

FTR nothing wrong with liking Lundqvist. He's a sexy beast.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #35
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
In general I just stray away from that thread, and often have to eventually extract myself from any thread that discusses sexism/misogyny/etc, because there are a choice few on this board whose views on women are so incredibly infuriating that I just have to step back rather than continue arguing in circles with someone whose opinion is never going to change.

The issue for me isn't the simple appreciation of an attractive woman--for example, my best friend is a huge WWE fan, and I'm most certainly not, but believe you me, when Seth Rollins takes his shirt off, I sit up and take notice. The issue is the way that objectification of women goes far beyond just appreciating the aesthetic.

Studies have shown that when men look at women in bikinis, the brain activity is not that of dealing with an entity capable of critical thinking, but instead that of an object, a tool. That's not overt sexism in these men, necessarily, but it's the way society has trained men to view women. Possessions, trophies, objects to be attained.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...n-objects.html
I wonder if it is evolutionary coding rather than the environment. Essentially from an envolutionary standpoint women were tools to pass on genetic material to the next generation. Attaining more women allowed more genetic material to be passed on.

Rewiring these genetically coded views coded views is much more challanging than if it is just a societal or religious precept.

Do you have links to other similar research, It would be interesting to see how the varriance amoung different populations appears and if its nature or nurture.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #36
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Edit: Also

Am I though? Henrik is clearly not being reduced to a trophy or an object just for sex. He's very handsome and the water, the yachts, the music, his hair, his hockey prowess... It all adds up to an attractive package for lots of women. That's why they are using him to sell underwear.

It's not like I was endorsing the music playing and a graphic close up of his bulge and just his bulge for the entire ad. That's not what the ad is about and I'd argue that just an objectifying bulge close up (as in my avatar) doesn't really do anything for most women anyways. The whole thing with that ad was the music, the mood, the handsome and highly skilled NHL player. Hopefully I'm explaining myself half-decently but I'm sure someone will come in here and tell me how wrong and hypocritical I am.

Anyways. This is all getting way off topic. I'm not saying the whole hot women thread is misogynistic. I'm sure it's not, and I don't go in there to bother confirming it. I'm also sure that some of it is questionable.

My whole point was that I thought Jiri said there was not very much misogyny on CP. I disagree, there is quite a lot. But it's all sort of moot anyways because I misunderstood Jiri, I think. I think he was saying there is not very much homophobia on CP.

Last edited by Peanut; 09-01-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #37
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

*sigh* I remember when this thread was about a gay kid overcoming bigotry and hatred of his own family…

First of all, stop saying "bulge".

You all know there are several other threads about misogyny and other similar subjects already on this site right?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #38
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I don't want to speak for Peanut, but I don't think she's complaining about "Wow! That's a hot woman!" but rather comments in that thread that objectify and demean women, of which there appear to be plenty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That's just a butt. Not a woman, just a faceless part of a woman. Much like Peanut's avatar which is a tongue in cheek take on an avatar like Shawnski's I imagine, which is just breasts. Perfect example of objectification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Too much discussion and not enough T&A
No room for conversation gents, the focus must be T&A. Women are more than that, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
Lets be realistic here. It's a selfie. A head to shoulders pic where it doesnt flatter her appearance (tied up hair, no make up)

Are you honestly telling me that this selfie fits in a thread full of photos with women who are in lingerie and bikinis?
So because it's not a photoshopped professional picture of a hardly clothed woman in plenty of makeup, it cannot belong in a thread dedicated to "hot" women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Ladies and gents, say hello to the most beautiful woman from Edmonton

NSFW!
Speaks for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Well, step one would be prying their attention away from the distant sounds of cash registers that are constantly filling their ears...
Ah, the classy "attractive Asian girl is money hungry" comment.

As you can see, the comments go a lot deeper than "wow! She's attractive! She looks great in that bikini!" which is in line with what Peanut said about Lundqvist. That's what she's complaining about.

P.S. I realise this is far off topic, I'd support splitting the posts off into their own thread.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #39
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Ugh, I don't know if I have the energy for a dedicated thread about it lol. I mostly wanted Peanut's view. But if enough ppl want the posts split off to their own thread to discuss I can do it.
You may not have the energy, but flameswin clearly does. He's the moderator we need AND deserve for this specific topic, for a specific length of time.

flameswin 2014 - What's the worst that could happen
This message has been approved by flameswin (hopefully)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #40
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bulge!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peanut For This Useful Post: