Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #161
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I had a small flood in the lower level of my townhouse on Wednesday night. The restoration company was in Saturday morning to tear out the carpet and set up the fans, dehumidifier, etc. I want to paint while everything is out. Do I need to wait until the fans etc. are taken away? All that got wet was the carpet, nothing else was really affected. They have taken off the baseboards, cut a couple of inches of drywall up from the floor on a couple of walls where they set up fans.
Is this an insurance claim? Maybe it's going to get done along with everything else.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #162
K1LLswitch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

In need of new windows in the house. Any recommendations on where to go / who to use?

Thanks in advance.
K1LLswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #163
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take possession of a new place tomorrow, and am probably going to want to move some windows around as part of a new kitchen install I'm hoping to do. How hard is this to do? Just a bit of framing and window install? Doesn't seem too bad.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #164
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the sewer to diagnose your problem use the company Electric Eel. They are knowledgable and can advise and assist with course of remedy.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #165
EM11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone on the thread recommend a good bathroom renovation company? Is this even the best way to do a bathroom renovation? I need a shower re-tiled, new tub, new toilet and possibly a new counter and sink installed.

Is it easier to hire one company to coordinate all of this rather than trying to find each individual part myself?

Thanks!
EM11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #166
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1LLswitch View Post
In need of new windows in the house. Any recommendations on where to go / who to use?

Thanks in advance.
PM sent. I always recommend Rusco
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #167
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1LLswitch View Post

Thanks in advance.
Check out Supreme Windows. Service is great. I have 6 windows on order right now for installation in about a month. Quality seems great, they have been in business for a long time and the windows are made here in Calgary. They have their own installation crews instead of contracting that work out. Hopefully the install is quick and without any problems.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #168
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Check out Supreme Windows. Service is great. I have 6 windows on order right now for installation in about a month. Quality seems great, they have been in business for a long time and the windows are made here in Calgary. They have their own installation crews instead of contracting that work out. Hopefully the install is quick and without any problems.
I also used Supreme Windows, and like them, even though I did not get them to install and did it myself. Still, high quality windows, and they can do custom orders and such so you know you will get just what you want.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #169
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I take possession of a new place tomorrow, and am probably going to want to move some windows around as part of a new kitchen install I'm hoping to do. How hard is this to do? Just a bit of framing and window install? Doesn't seem too bad.
Remember the exterior siding/stucco/brick or whatever you have out there. That might be a little more difficult to work around.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #170
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Remember the exterior siding/stucco/brick or whatever you have out there. That might be a little more difficult to work around.
Are the new window locations in structural walls? If they are, you will have to install the required structural headers and cripple studs.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #171
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Are the new window locations in structural walls? If they are, you will have to install the required structural headers and cripple studs.
Oh, right, you will also have to do a building permit, and they may not allow too many windows on one wall. When installing new window holes in my basement walls, I was only allowed 25% of a wall's linear length to have new window openings in it. This was in the foundation, but there may be regulations regarding load bearing walls
Old 09-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #172
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, right, you will also have to do a building permit, and they may not allow too many windows on one wall. When installing new window holes in my basement walls, I was only allowed 25% of a wall's linear length to have new window openings in it. This was in the foundation, but there may be regulations regarding load bearing walls
Foundation windows are different that windows in wood studs in that regard. Foundation windows don't have engineered headers on top of them, and may only have a couple inches of concrete over top, which may not be adequate support for the wall above - if there are extended lengths or higher percentages go the total wall.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #173
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the windows face your sideyard there are building code maximums of allowed unprotected openings. Calculation of the percentage is based on the setback distance and the area of the exterior of the house facing the sideyard.

Typical 1.2m setback in most cases allows 7%. Wall area is calculated from grade to ceiling level. Check with an A.T. or the City.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #174
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't seem too bad at first. But take into account your exterior finish that needs to be reworked and patched. What's the material? Don't forget about wiring running to outlets, that may need to be pulled and re-run after new king, jack, and cripple studs are in place for the new window. Don't forget about proper tie in details at the exterior building paper and interior poly v.b. You'll also be dealing with insulation, drywall, mud/tape plus casing and base.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #175
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone built a double detached garage lately, or even one with a suite on the second level? Looking for a cost estimate
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #176
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I take back what I said about the partical board....As I got thru the kitchen, I noticed an odd shape cut at the board joints. Some fricken clown had used a layer of mdf glud and stapled along the edges every inch. To remove an 8 foot by 12 foot section....It has taken me over 24 hours to poly off a death room, cut the ever living crap out of this with a skill saw, sweep up the mountain of saw dust. Chip out all these 4x4 blocks, rip out these stupid staples at the edge. Than hammer and chisel the layers still on the plywood off of it. I swear that crap started growing into the plywood. Only 120 more square feet of this crap to go!

Initially I tried to get at it with the pry bar, but between the glue and the fortris of staples I could not break into it. At least now I know to cut about 4 inches back from the edges as it's my best chance to get the staples with the board and only have to chisel off the glue. It's still brutal, and even with a respirator I still blow chunks of saw dust out my nose that break thru paper towel.

I hope whoever used this mdf drove one of those damn staples thru his hand the next time he or she tried it. Curse you, hack builder!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #177
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I take back what I said about the partical board....As I got thru the kitchen, I noticed an odd shape cut at the board joints. Some fricken clown had used a layer of mdf glud and stapled along the edges every inch. To remove an 8 foot by 12 foot section....It has taken me over 24 hours to poly off a death room, cut the ever living crap out of this with a skill saw, sweep up the mountain of saw dust. Chip out all these 4x4 blocks, rip out these stupid staples at the edge. Than hammer and chisel the layers still on the plywood off of it. I swear that crap started growing into the plywood. Only 120 more square feet of this crap to go!

Initially I tried to get at it with the pry bar, but between the glue and the fortris of staples I could not break into it. At least now I know to cut about 4 inches back from the edges as it's my best chance to get the staples with the board and only have to chisel off the glue. It's still brutal, and even with a respirator I still blow chunks of saw dust out my nose that break thru paper towel.

I hope whoever used this mdf drove one of those damn staples thru his hand the next time he or she tried it. Curse you, hack builder!

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that is how it is supposed to be done. Unless you want squeaky, unstable, moving floors. It's frustrating enough tearing that stuff out when you know what is ahead of you, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be when you don't know what you are going to be going through.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #178
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

+

With a side of

Earlier this summer I took out 500sq ft of tile over vynil ontop of glued/stapled pressboard. Took a couple days, with 2 of us
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #179
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, I helped a buddy with this once and we broke out the belt sander to get the really stubborn part of the floor. What a gong show. I hope to never see that ever again.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #180
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone on here know anything about self-priming pumps?