Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #1141
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnabdabber View Post
LOL
Tell that to farmers, ranchers, sustenance hunters,or anyone that lives north of Edmonton. You'll get laughed at.
There's nothing that they do with a gun that can't be replaced with something else though, I'd agree they wouldn't like it but it could be done, bow hunting, air rifles, poison, dogs
Old 09-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #1142
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL
Tell that to farmers, ranchers, sustenance hunters,or anyone that lives north of Edmonton. You'll get laughed at.
And all the above only require old fashioned long guns, a reasonable compromise would be a double barrel or bolt or lever action is fine if you are living in the arse end of no where.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #1143
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
And all the above only require old fashioned long guns, a reasonable compromise would be a double barrel or bolt or lever action is fine if you are living in the arse end of no where.
What exactly is an "old fashioned long gun"?

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 09-20-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #1144
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

A .303 like my father in law used to hunt with for years, standard hunting rifle with a 6 shot magazine or the like.
Although making them all use black powder would sort the men from the #####'s
Old 09-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #1145
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
A .303 like my father in law used to hunt with for years, standard hunting rifle with a 6 shot magazine or the like.
Although making them all use black powder would sort the men from the #####'s
So a rifle chambered in .308 or .260 with a 5 round magazine would be an acceptable hunting rifle? Have to keep it NR, so an overall length of ~36"?

This rifle meets all those criteria, it's also currently used by a bunch of people for hunting in Canada.

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 09-20-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #1146
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

Quote:
There's nothing that they do with a gun that can't be replaced with something else though, I'd agree they wouldn't like it but it could be done, bow hunting, air rifles, poison, dogs
Hunting regulations require certain larger calibers be used to take down different types of game.

Do you honestly think it would be smart to try and drop a moose, muskox, polar bear, or the like with a bow? Then people would cry about ethics, nevermind that you would never be able to physically do it. Poison? Taint the meat, that sounds like a good idea. Air rifles? Jeez... why not just try throwing rocks at them?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #1147
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hunting regulations require certain larger calibers be used to take down different types of game.

Do you honestly think it would be smart to try and drop a moose, muskox, polar bear, or the like with a bow? Then people would cry about ethics, nevermind that you would never be able to physically do it. Poison? Taint the meat, that sounds like a good idea. Air rifles? Jeez... why not just try throwing rocks at them?
I think that ultimately for almost every one in canada hunting is a hobby, like fishing or golf, and as such the regulations should reflect that preventing possible death is more important than a recreational pastime, and as such I don't care whether they have to give up moose or bear hunting and restrict themselves to rabbit or mule deer.
That said Canada is a country where you can make an argument that some citizans do actually need a gun, but as I said before, bolt action, not semi auto, or double barrel.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #1148
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
So a rifle chambered in .308 or .260 with a 5 round magazine would be an acceptable hunting rifle? Have to keep it NR, so an overall length of ~36"?

This rifle meets all those criteria, it's also currently used by a bunch of people for hunting in Canada.

I'd restrict it to bolt action, and as unmacho looking as possible.
I think there's something really sad about grown men pretending to be navy seals, I also tend to think that they are the ones who's lives are so sad and meaningless that they lose it when they get sacked or cut off at an intersection.
My father in law who fought in WWII would despise any guy who brought a pretend army gun to go hunting, his lee enfield was all he needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #1149
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 09-20-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #1150
Shnabdabber

Exp:

As "un-macho" as possible?

Are you insinuating that the looks of a rifle, not the function have the ability to change ones morals? Basically no one would kill if it's in a wood stock, but the second there's rails and it's black it turns the user into a killer?
Old 09-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #1151
Shnabdabber

Exp:

Quote:
I think there's something really sad about grown men pretending to be navy seals, I also tend to think that they are the ones who's lives are so sad and meaningless that they lose it when they get sacked or cut off at an intersection.
My father in law who fought in WWII would despise any guy who brought a pretend army gun to go hunting, his lee enfield was all he needed.
And back in those days, the lee enfield was a modern killing machine. So today we have newer modern versions of hunting rifles. Technology doesn't stand still good sir. Just because it looks old fashioned doesn't mean it isn't an effective killer, but again that's all up to the user. Black plastic, rails and pistol grips have no ability to change ones morals, it's ludicrous.

Google lee enfield mad minute.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #1152
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

FYI. In a lot of cases an arrow can drop a large animal faster than a bullet. A good buddy hunts all 3 of these and wouldn't dream of using anything else but a bow.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #1153
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, using a bow is just as effective and a lot of time, the hunting restrictions are somewhat less strict for bow hunters. I have a few friends who hunt and their seasons all open with bows.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #1154
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be fine with no guns allowed within city/town limits. I'd think the hunters would go with that then wouldn't they?
Oh yeah, then all the Metro Rambo's would lose their freedoms, I'm speaking of Murikistan.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #1155
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And back in those days, the lee enfield was a modern killing machine. So today we have newer modern versions of hunting rifles. Technology doesn't stand still good sir. Just because it looks old fashioned doesn't mean it isn't an effective killer, but again that's all up to the user. Black plastic, rails and pistol grips have no ability to change ones morals, it's ludicrous.

Google lee enfield mad minute.
When I was 13 my uncle gave me his # 4 Mk I that he used in Italy during the war, told it was a rare version as it was actually made by Savage in the US, it had darker wood(cherry?) then most of the yellow looking models. only fired it a few times at my favorite tree, sadly it was stolen from my familys cabin so I never got to try the "mad minute"
Old 09-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #1156
Shnabdabber

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I'd be fine with no guns allowed within city/town limits. I'd think the hunters would go with that then wouldn't they?
Oh yeah, then all the Metro Rambo's would lose their freedoms, I'm speaking of Murikistan.
The "rambos" are only currently allowed to use their firearms on private land, ranges, or crown land currently. So I don't know what your issue is here.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #1157
Shnabdabber

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
When I was 13 my uncle gave me his # 4 Mk I that he used in Italy during the war, told it was a rare version as it was actually made by Savage in the US, it had darker wood(cherry?) then most of the yellow looking models. only fired it a few times at my favorite tree, sadly it was stolen from my familys cabin so I never got to try the "mad minute"
That's too bad, the enfield is such a classic firearm and is still to this day one of the most popular rifles in Canada, and it has a special place in our heritage, much like the M1 Garand.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #1158
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The "rambos" are only currently allowed to use their firearms on private land, ranges, or crown land currently. So I don't know what your issue is here.
Cc and OC within city limits.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #1159
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Then you need to get knives, cars, poisons, fire, clubs and blunt instruments out of houses as well. Statistics Canada reported for 2010 that in all cases of intimate partner violence (spousal or dating violence), less than 1% (0.55%) of all cases involved guns. You'd be better off keeping knives (3.86%), poisons/fire/cars/explosives (5.53%) and blunt objects (1.69%) out of the hands of these people.
My god, you are just wonderful with the rhetoric, aren't you?

Your stats don't tell the story you want it to. They show that fewer guns in circulation means drastically reduced odds that they will be used. You've really only succeeded at reinforcing my point.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #1160
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you allowed to hunt polar bears?