Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #601
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Obama went back in time to 2003 to give the green light for ISIS to form.
If you watch the video Flash posted, or even do any research on the policies that Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Co. were implementing at the time, it's hard not to see how the rise of ISIS is anything but a direct result of those actions. The problem is/was that the Republican party and its stooges at Fox News effectively dismiss any of these claims as attacks by the "liberal media," and their supporters eat it up.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #602
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
George W. Bush 2007 Prediction of Current Iraq Crisis

Was never a big fan of Bush but I'm really getting tired of Obama's tip-toe approach on anything military. Show some balls for a change.

Under a Bush type leader it's safe to say ISIS would never had a chance to form, Crimea would still be part of Ukraine and MH-17 would have landed safely.
Umm well could I argue the opposite in the sense that Bush created this whole thing by labeling a whole state as 'terrorists', and invading / destabilizing the entire region.

If Bush were still in charge we'd have moved onto poking Iran by now. Careful what you wish for.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #603
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's basically the equivalence of pouring gasoline all over your house before moving out and then telling the new person moving in that it is probably going to burn down while flicking a match behind you.

The only thing prophetic about this situation were all the people telling Bush not to invade in the first place because they knew enough about history and the region to know where things were headed.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #604
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/11/wo...isis.html?_r=0
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #605
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
If you watch the video Flash posted, or even do any research on the policies that Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Co. were implementing at the time, it's hard not to see how the rise of ISIS is anything but a direct result of those actions. The problem is/was that the Republican party and its stooges at Fox News effectively dismiss any of these claims as attacks by the "liberal media," and their supporters eat it up.
I think you missed the sarcasm in his post. It's easy to do when you gotta read all the other brutally incorrect talking points, as you mentioned. But, I'm pretty sure -nik was making a funny for us.

Adjust your sarcasm meter, and we'll get back to it.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #606
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

ISIS beheads a brit this time "a message to the allies of America"

Sick fvchs

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/13/world/...age/index.html
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #607
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I think you missed the sarcasm in his post. It's easy to do when you gotta read all the other brutally incorrect talking points, as you mentioned. But, I'm pretty sure -nik was making a funny for us.

Adjust your sarcasm meter, and we'll get back to it.
Haha, I actually realized after the fact that it looked like I was arguing with nik. I was actually in agreement, but just decided to leave it as is.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #608
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow... It looks like Al-Qaeda is appealing to ISIS to tone down the number of killings and release hostages that were trying to genuinely help the Muslim people. When Al-Qaeda is saying the group is too extreme...
Quote:
Al-Qaeda appealed to Isis to release the British hostage Alan Henning because it believed he was an innocent aid worker who was genuinely trying to help suffering Muslims, it can be revealed.

In evidence that the depravity exhibited by Isis is now repelling Muslims of all views and backgrounds, even the terrorist group behind the 11 September attacks on the US in 2001 decided that kidnapping the aid-convoy volunteer was a step too far.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...p-9734598.html
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #609
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Wow... It looks like Al-Qaeda is appealing to ISIS to tone down the number of killings and release hostages that were trying to genuinely help the Muslim people. When Al-Qaeda is saying the group is too extreme...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...p-9734598.html
That's nuts.

Weird to hear anything positive what so ever mixed in with Al-Qaeda.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #610
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Al Qaeda has been telling ISIS to tone it down for like 10 years.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #611
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kudos to Harper and Co. on this one.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/09...remist-groups/

Quote:
The government has begun invalidating the passports of Canadians who have left to join extremist groups in Syria and Iraq, Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander revealed in an interview on Friday.

The minister told the National Post his department had also revoked the passports of several Canadians who had not yet left the country but who had intended to travel to the volatile region to enlist as foreign fighters.

He would not disclose the number of passports Citizenship and Immigration Canada had revoked over the conflict but said there were “multiple cases.” The government says about 30 Canadians are with extremist groups in Syria and 130 are active elsewhere.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #612
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Kudos to Harper and Co. on this one.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/09...remist-groups/
good
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #613
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Personally I would be tempted to just put them on a ultra watch list and let them come back, then arrest them and grill them for any useful information when they get back.

Things are going to get worse on this, look at what's happening in Australia.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #614
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

What has me worried isn't so much the asshats going over there to fight with ISIS, but the radicals who are staying put in the country.

Gotta think there are more than a handful present in the country with no intentions of leaving.
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #615
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnabdabber View Post
What has me worried isn't so much the asshats going over there to fight with ISIS, but the radicals who are staying put in the country.

Gotta think there are more than a handful present in the country with no intentions of leaving.
The stuff out of Australia this week was certainly disturbing. It's also what makes it hard for me to have a huge problem with increased surveillance. I'd like there to be more transparency from the government and intelligence agencies and more legislation restricting the use solely to terrorist and extremist activity, but the state's number one function is to provide a safe environment for its citizens.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #616
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well you know it will get out of hand, and you know innocent people will be caught in the middle of it.

It is afterall the 'normal' reaction people in North America have always had when they live in supposed fear of a terrorist attack. More government powers!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #617
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Well you know it will get out of hand, and you know innocent people will be caught in the middle of it.

It is afterall the 'normal' reaction people in North America have always had when they live in supposed fear of a terrorist attack. More government powers!
Oh absolutely. I was speaking more in a theoretical sense. LE, government, intelligence, etc., can never restrain themselves.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #618
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/isis-au...vers-1.2773636

oh great, ISIS is now urging musliims in countries like France, Canada, US to kill unbelievers. I wonder if we will hear a peep out of local muslims regarding that directive. Wonder if any radicals that didn't leave the country will try it.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #619
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/isis-au...vers-1.2773636

oh great, ISIS is now urging musliims in countries like France, Canada, US to kill unbelievers. I wonder if we will hear a peep out of local muslims regarding that directive. Wonder if any radicals that didn't leave the country will try it.
The answer is a big friken NO, The muslims that claim to be peacefull also never say a word about the radicals and just "shrug" their shoulders when asked about it.

As most people here know I hate religion with a fvck!ng passion but I seriously think maybe it's time for a good ol religious war. It worked in the past!
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #620
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
The answer is a big friken NO, The muslims that claim to be peacefull also never say a word about the radicals and just "shrug" their shoulders when asked about it.

As most people here know I hate religion with a fvck!ng passion but I seriously think maybe it's time for a good ol religious war. It worked in the past!
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/n...isis-1.1322658

https://www.google.ca/search?q=calga...Hq38iAL-x4GoDQ
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote