Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #21
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
So Mrs Resurrection and myself are expecting another baby in December, and she's politely informed me that we will be buying a minivan or an SUV. So, help me buy an SUV!

My criteria to narrow it down for suggestions:
  • Has to have 7 seats
  • The 3rd row has to be stowable
  • No more than 30k newish
  • That's it

Thanks for any suggestions... I know nothing about SUVs.
How about that lame "FYP" edit?

Everyone loves a new car of course, but you could get everything you are after and probably more if you get something a couple years old.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #22
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honda Odyssey.

Is it two kids you're going to have? I don't know that a 3rd row is 'necessary' for that level of kid, but we also have 2 kids and a 3 row SUV because my wife shut the van down hard.

Congrats by the way!
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #23
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

uploading picturescertificity.com

Pleeeeeaaaase can we get this one!!!
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #24
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me, sliding doors are one of the best features for a family with young kids. Provides lots of access to add/remove child seats, buckle kids in, etc. And later, when the kids are old enough to open the doors themselves, no risk of them dinging the cars beside you.

When we finally moved on from a minivan, we went to a Mazda 5 which allowed me to have a bit more fun driving without losing the sliding doors. It also still had 3rd row seating, but was also budget-friendly and much better on gas than our Sienna. Possibly the most versatile vehicle we owned, though we fit its targetted demographic to a T. It also came with the option for standard transmission - driving stick on a vehicle with sliding doors was fun, but surreal.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #25
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minivan for sure. My kids are older now and we're past the minivan stage but they are a godsend if you have smaller kids. Plenty of volume for hauling crap, extremely easy to get in and out of (for everyone) and all in all just way too convenient. Honda Odyssey has good reviews and although they are more $$ up front I have heard they also hold their resale better than other brands so you may get that money back when you sell. Dodge Caravan has been the poster child for minivans and I think it's hard to go wrong with one of these too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #26
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread makes me happy.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #27
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

30k is going to be tough, even for a minivan I would suspect

We have the Ford Explorer with stowaway third row and it has been a good vehicle for us. Base is probably under $40k
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #28
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted that it should be 30k new as a baseline, I dont intend on buying a new vehicle.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #29
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

needs sidewinders and a chain link steering wheel......man I remember being 13 or so in the late 70's and dreaming about getting a rig like this.

can you really get new vans, suv's etc for $30k these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
uploading picturescertificity.com

Pleeeeeaaaase can we get this one!!!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #30
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I actually loved my folks' old Honda Odyssey. Handled well, lots of power, tons of room. I bet they'd still be driving it if my Dad hadn't rolled the thing in some snow.

They've had a Highlander for years now and it's a good car, but my Dad still pines for the old van. Says it's the real utility vehicle. I agree.
flylock shox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #31
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had a family with kids, I wouldn't care about buying a van. I remember talking to a lady at work, and she was adamant of not wanting to look like a soccer mom driving a van, so she has to at least get an SUV. I'm like, well, doesn't really change the perception whether it's a van or SUV. People still see you as a soccer mom lol.

But getting back on topic, I'd totally get a van. Those things are super convenient for hauling things, the sliding doors are good for clumsy kids, parents, etc. to get out of, and they are comfortable on road trips.

Last edited by The Yen Man; 04-25-2017 at 09:59 AM.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #32
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odyssey, Sienna and Caravan should be good options at the 3 year old mark. At that range, it will still be quite new and with a price low enough that it should fit your criteria.

Funny thing is, many guys I chat with love the vans over SUV. Somehow the perception is different with guys vs girls driving a van. I drive a luxury car, but sometimes thinking of the utility of a van, I'd swap to a van in a heart beat. I really enjoy my parents Odyssey. It's a little underpowered now (over a decade old), but it still is excellent and we borrow it all the time for various transportation reasons.

Aren't SUVs a little higher than most vehicles? Without the sliding door and lifting a baby slightly higher, it'll be a bit of a juggle. The sliding doors benefit your access too.

Last edited by DoubleF; 04-25-2017 at 10:00 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #33
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I posted that it should be 30k new as a baseline, I dont intend on buying a new vehicle.
Yeah, I get that, but I still think it is pretty tough for a third-row type vehicle. I suppose the Kia Santa Fe and Dodge Caravan might be in that range, but I don't recall much else.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #34
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mazda 5 was mentioned. I have one, it is such a great car. There is next to no leg room in the 3rd row though, and when the 3rd row is up, there is no storage space in the back. We have 3 kids and we can't use the Mazda 5 to go on family vacation, but we can take the entire family along when getting from point a to point 2 around the city.

We also have a Dodge Grand Caravan. It actually is extremely functional for our family of 5. Plenty leg room in the 3rd row (for kids anyway, I've never sat back there) and plenty storage space when you're on a holiday and need to take along luggage. It's super convenient that both the 2nd and 3rd rows are stow'n'go. That van can carry a lot of stuff!

Hey, I know how you feel about having to get a mini-van. I was allergic to mini-vans. However, kids was the antidote to that allergy. Once you're a parent you're not cool anymore. You don't need the cool cars to make you look cool as you take your kids along because it just isn't functional. Function over appearance wins out on so many levels.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #35
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My boss still drives a full sized van and I don't even think any of her kids live at home anymore. She used to have 3 and then new hubby had 3, that also visited the other spouses houses, so potentially up to 6 kids for a week at a time. Even if any of them were still at home, they would definitely have their own vehicles by now.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #36
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ok fine ffs suggest me a minivan then too.

god damn it.
If it helps, you're not going to look any cooler in some 3-row crossover than you are in a minivan. Just look at any school parking lot.

You're a dad with kids and all their oversized junk...cool went out the window a long time ago, so just embrace the practicality.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #37
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honda Odyssey, You will never be disappointed.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/Od...howcpo=ShowCPO

Last edited by Since1984; 04-25-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #38
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What about the Pruis v? Looks good plenty of space starts at around 28k and has 7 seats plus u will get insane fuel economy and Toyota reliability.
But tbh the best option is buy used as u will get more for ur money and 30k is a great budget for a nice used suv. That is if ur buying cash.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #39
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I have 2 kids under 3 and we have a Toyota Highlander.
Awesome vehicle. It would fit your criteria with the 3rd row, and 7 seats. You can get a used one a few years old for under $30K.

However, the 3rd row seating is useless.

Since the 2nd row doesn't fold flat, you have to climb over the 2nd row to get back there. With 2 car seats, its pretty much impossible. Well, unless you want to take the car seats out, flip it down, climb over into the back, then re-install everything.

When you have the 3rd row up, there is virtually no trunk. I'm not sure our stroller would even fit to be honest.

I think most 3-row SUV's would be like this.

I see a mini-van in my future.
Quoted for emphasis. I know so many people that have bought a 3 row SUV and hate the thing as the 3rd row is useless when you have car seats in the 2nd row, especially if you're rear facing. One friend is trading in his Pilot after only 1 year. The Nissan "flip" seats help somewhat, but don't work with Rear Facing seats or infant carriers.

Car companies are really pushing the image thing with the SUV's, but from a usefulness they are really lagging minivans.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 04-25-2017 at 11:00 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #40
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I gave up on the SUV dream about 3 months after having our second young child. Thing was completely useless for doing anything family related. Just not enough room to pacj strollers, hockey.lacrosse gear/, and groceries or whatever. Playing Tetris everyday just to go out for awhile became a pain.

Went to the minivan and never looked back. Now that the minivan is a little older and strollers are long gone I keep thinking I will go back to the SUV but the more I look at them the minivan makes more and more sense. They are just too damn convenient and roomy.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote