Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #141
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
If we win a Stanley Cup and then have to lose a few guys, I'm fine with it.

And from all indications they traded Seguin and Hamilton because they didn't fit their mold in terms of personality rather than cap issues.

You'll notice that none of the guys the Blackhawks got rid of (and some were because of their own screw up with qualifying offers remember) were centres. They pay big for centres - see Kruger and Anisimov.
Boston moves Seguin for character issues but that is only part of it. They saved nearly $5M in cap space on that deal. They likely would have waited out Hamilton like the jets did Trouba if the offer sheet threat from the Oilers wasn't there.

I personally take Saad on my team over Anisimov or Kruger. The Hawks have lost in the first round the past 2 years since moving Saad
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #142
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The Hawks have lost in the first round the past 2 years since moving Saad.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #143
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have an idea. We keep Backlund and adress our wing depth by moving 1 or 2 of Lazar, Jankowski, Bennett to the wing.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jankowski

Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik

Ferland - Bennett - Lazar

Versteeg - Stajan - Brouwer

Maybe Shankaruk, Mangiapane, Vey, etc will make a good push in pre season as well and challenge for a spot.

Tons and tons of potential in that top 9. Sign Stone and Bishop and let's see what happens.

Stajan - great servant but we need a younger more energetic 4th line and he may be eating popcorn for a while next season.
Brouwer - hopefully/maybe the expansion draft will see him leave town. If not let's pray he can pick it up next season.
Bouma - not good enough or consistent enough.

Either way we should never trade Backlund for a top 6 winger or number 4 d man. He is a special player. Great all round and in all situations. Maybe the smartest player we have. I'd give him a 5x5 tomorrow. In this league it's about goalies, defencemen and centers. The spine of your team. We have d and centers. Just need a goalie and some depth or prospects turning out. We shouldn't trade a potentially selke level top 6 center for a winger because we have no good RWers. That would be silly Janko and Lazar are still pretty much question marks as to what they will be in the league.

Sign Backlund and give him an A on his jersey.

Last edited by Crumpy-Gunt; 04-24-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #144
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
That you were able to pull that reference out is quite impressive... and I kinda think 100% true in this case too!
Lord Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #145
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy-Gunt View Post
I have an idea. We keep Backlund and adress our wing depth by moving 1 or 2 of Lazar, Jankowski, Bennett to the wing.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jankowski

Ferland - Bennett - Lazar

Maybe Shankaruk, Mangiapane, Vey, etc will make a good push in pre season as well and challenge for a spot.

Tons and tons of potential in that top 9. Sign Stone and Bishop and let's see what happens.

Stajan - great servant but we need a younger more energetic 4th line and he may be eating popcorn for a while next season.
Brouwer - hopefully/maybe the expansion draft will see him leave town. If not let's pray he can pick it up next season.
Bouma - not good enough or consistent enough.

Either way we should never trade Backlund for a top 6 winger or number 4 d man. He is a special player. Great all round and in all situations. Maybe the smartest player we have. I'd give him a 5x5 tomorrow. In this league it's about goalies, defencemen and centers. The spine of your team. We have d and centers. Just need a goalie and some depth or prospects turning out. We shouldn't trade a potentially selke level top 6 center for a winger because we have no good RWers. That would be silly Janko and Lazar are still pretty much question marks as to what they will be in the league.

Sign Backlund and give him an A on his jersey.
Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett

Ferland - Jankowski - Lazar

Id rather try Bennett on the wing (not sure how the right side would jive with him) on the top line next year and give Jankowski third line duties. That would be a large and nasty third line with skill, a possession monster second line with skill and a very skilled top line with a creative winger that they have been missing since Hudler left.

If we could somehow trade Stajan and Brouwer I would put Hathaway and Poirier somebody in there with Versteeg and use the extra cap for Stone and a goalie.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #146
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Zero prospects? Bennett and Jankowski are the 2 players that are looking at filling the 2nd 3rd line role.
Right now it's more likely Jankowski takes Bennetts spot than either guy taking Backlunds spot.

Quote:
If Backlund had more years on his contract it wouldn't be a discussion but next year he could command big bucks and if the Flamesmdont sign him they could lose him for nothing.
Backlund is one of the top 3 forwards and top 5 players on this team. Right now we should be thinking about how to move up in the standings. That means not moving our best players unless we know we have upgrades. Which we don't.

Besides, Backlund is only looking at a raise of about 1.5-2.5M. Raymond and Bollig coming off the books frees up 1.3 already.

If cap space does become an issue, you move less important guys first, like Frolik.

Quote:
They couldnsign him and have trouble keeping Bennett, Tkachuk, or extending Brodie.
Brodies contract isn't up until 2020. You can't even know whether or not he's even in the teams plans then. If he is, Brouwers and Froliks contracts are ending the same year, so there's cap space to play with.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #147
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like the Backlund line as the line used to introduce young players into the lineup.

Next season I would like to see:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Bennett - Versteeg
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Klimchuk/Shinkaruk/Lomberg - Lazar - Hathaway
Stajan

Hopefully Brouwer and Bouma end up on different teams.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #148
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Right now it's more likely Jankowski takes Bennetts spot than either guy taking Backlunds spot.

Backlund is one of the top 3 forwards and top 5 players on this team. Right now we should be thinking about how to move up in the standings. That means not moving our best players unless we know we have upgrades. Which we don't.

Besides, Backlund is only looking at a raise of about 1.5-2.5M. Raymond and Bollig coming off the books frees up 1.3 already.

If cap space does become an issue, you move less important guys first, like Frolik.

Brodies contract isn't up until 2020. You can't even know whether or not he's even in the teams plans then. If he is, Brouwers and Froliks contracts are ending the same year, so there's cap space to play with.

These are all good points. I personally don't think Backlund is worth $6M unless he has another career year next season and wins the selke. You can't pay a forward with 1-2 50pt seasons $6M but it will be close to those dollars. I agree you would be a contract like Frolik before losing

The Flames likely need to go to the free agent market again to improve their team. There are not a ton of tradeable assets on the club right now. I think the Flames need to hold onto their youth in Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk, Lazar, Hamilton. They do not have the depth on the blueline to trade Gio or Brodie. Up front the only other assets that entice are Backlund, Frolik, Ferland and all are likely to return.

If Vegas bails them out of the Brouwer mistake they have the cap space to sign Bishop and keep Stone or chase Alzner. Perhaps the RW spot will be filled by Tkachuk, Bennett, Ferland next year?
Old 04-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #149
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
These are all good points. I personally don't think Backlund is worth $6M unless he has another career year next season and wins the selke. You can't pay a forward with 1-2 50pt seasons $6M but it will be close to those dollars. I agree you would be a contract like Frolik before losing

The Flames likely need to go to the free agent market again to improve their team. There are not a ton of tradeable assets on the club right now. I think the Flames need to hold onto their youth in Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk, Lazar, Hamilton. They do not have the depth on the blueline to trade Gio or Brodie. Up front the only other assets that entice are Backlund, Frolik, Ferland and all are likely to return.

If Vegas bails them out of the Brouwer mistake they have the cap space to sign Bishop and keep Stone or chase Alzner. Perhaps the RW spot will be filled by Tkachuk, Bennett, Ferland next year?
They can get away with playing Ferland at the #1RW spot for another year.

Backlund is the best 200 ft forward on this team, arguably the best 200 ft player. He's a core player. He may not be worth $6M. Assuming Brad Treliving is around to conduct negotiations, I don't believe Backlund gets a deal starting with a six.

5 years, between $27-29 million, everyone can live with that. Bennett and Jankowski are nowhere near ready to challenge for one of our top 2 centre positions - when one of them is, then we can consider moving on from Backlund. This game is all about centres and defensemen - when we put Backlund on the market in three years, there will be no shortage of bidders.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #150
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll bet 5 x 4.5 gets it done
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #151
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
You'll notice that none of the guys the Blackhawks got rid of (and some were because of their own screw up with qualifying offers remember) were centres. They pay big for centres - see Kruger and Anisimov.
Wasn't more so they couldn't afford Saad's contract demands in the trade for Anisimov? His cap hit at the time was nearly half of Saad's demands.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #152
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I'll bet 5 x 4.5 gets it done
This would be a dream scenario contract
Old 04-24-2017, 04:13 PM   #153
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This would be a dream scenario contract
In this dream, does the contract get signed before or after you get locked in a zero-gravity chamber with Kate Upton?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #154
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund is about as unmovable as it gets.

I'm sure that everyone will find comparisons from other teams, but Backlund is at the top of the league in many respects and is extremely underrated in doing so.

He also bleeds Flames. This guy is likely one of the most dedicated to this team as anyone we've seen come through the locker room in the last decade. Having this level of talent and effort want to be a part of what you're doing is something you never turn away from. I have a hard time accepting losing Backlund to most of the trade proposals here. I don't see where we're replacing Backlund, and we're taking a pretty huge step back losing an incredible defensive center who was a key part to one of the most dangerous lines in the NHL.

I love Mikael Backlund, and as much as I'd love to see him sign for less than $6mil, I can't argue against him earning it.

Last edited by Split98; 04-26-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote