Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Flames Expansion Draft Protection/Exposure/Exempt Thread

Thought with the expansion draft looming next spring it would be handy to put together a thread with probable protection/exposure/exempt lists involving the Flames roster and depth charts.

There is bound to be a lot of discussion/questions on this topic throughout the year, so a one stop discussion/information thread seemed warranted.

Other threads with expansion draft info/rules/discussion:

Official expansion alignment, expansion draft rules, and 2017 entry draft rules
TSN Insider trading - Oct 27 - New expansion draft wrinkle?

Obviously this assumes the Flames take the 7 forwards, 3 defensmen, 1 goalie protection option. I don't see them choosing the 8 skaters, 1 goalie option and exposing one of Frolik/Brouwer in order to protect Jokipakka.Things could change I guess, but I doubt it. For now I will assume the 7/3/1 option.

Forwards

1. Gaudreau
2. Monahan
3. Bennett (RFA)
4. Backlund
5. Brouwer
6. Frolik
7. *To be determined from list of exposed forwards*

Exempt - Tkachuk, Pribyl, Klimchuk, Jankowski, Mangiapane, Pollock, Smith, Carroll
Exposed - Stajan, Bouma, Ferland (RFA), Chiasson (RFA), Shinkaruk (ELC), F. Hamilton, Poirier (ELC), Vey (RFA), Hathaway (RFA)
UFA's -Bollig, Versteeg

Also Exempt W/O contract - Harrison (NCAA), Karnaukhov (KHL), Tuulola (WHL), Dube (WHL), Phillips (WHL), Lindstrom (Swe), Mattson (USHL)

Defense

1. Giordano
2. Brodie
3. Hamilton

Exempt - Kylington, Andersson, Kanzig
Exposed - Kulak (RFA), Jokipakka (RFA), Wotherspoon (RFA), Culkin (RFA), Morrison (RFA)
UFA's - Wideman, Engelland, Grossman, Smid

Also Exempt W/O contract - Rafikov (KHL), Ollas-Mattsson (Swe), Hickey (NCAA), Bruce (OHL), Falkovsky (ECHL)

Goalies

1. *To be determined*

Exempt - Gillies, Rittich (RFA), McDonald, Schneider
Exposed - McCollum
UFA's - Elliot, Johnson

Also Exempt W/O contract - Parsons (OHL)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

The Flames will need to have a Dman to expose who fits the following requirements:

Quote:
i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.
At this point in time none of the Flames Dmen fit these requirements except for the three they would likely want to protect. Jokipakka only has to dress for 5 more games to fit the requirement (70 games in previous 2 seasons) but even then he'd still need to be extended prior to the expansion draft.

It is also possible that they could extend Engelland for 1 year in order to expose him and meet the requirements, but obviously he'd have to be in agreement for that scenario, it's more likely he'd rather just go UFA and pick his own spot. However, he apparently does make his off season home in Vegas, so he might be fine taking an extension knowing he'd very likely play next season in either Calgary or Vegas.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Also have to decide who will be the 7th protected forward as well, as IMO the top 6 are very cut and dry.

They are set on forward exposure requirements by being able to expose TWO of Stajan, Bouma (17 more games for Bouma), Ferland and Chiasson.

Quote:
ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

The Flames fulfilled the exposure requirement for a goaltender when they sign McCollum to a 2 year deal a couple weeks ago.

Quote:
iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club’s protected list.
Just have to decide what goalie they want to extend/protect moving forward.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 10-29-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland will be the 7th forward.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, Ferland is the only guy I see on that list with a mix of current skill and potential worth protecting. Stajan would be difficult to replace, but his contract is high, so being rid of it would do us a favour.

Bouma, Chiasson, and Shinkaruk are all fine bottom options, but it'd be crazy to protect any of them.

That said, if Chiasson or Shinkaruk have a fantastic year then they put themselves in the protection discussion.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for starting this thread. Should be an interesting one to follow.

Has there been any talk about a 32nd team joining the league? If there is another expansion draft the very next year it might change the way teams prepare.

Also, what is the date of the expansion draft? Before or after the entry draft?
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This probably belongs in here

http://planmyteam.com/NHL/Expansion

always fun mocking up what there team might look like
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captaincanada80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, Shinky or Ferland?

Ferland is a legit NHLer, but Shinky is a skilled forward prospect.

Right now I would pick Ferland too. I am more afraid of him in a Vegas jersey competing against the Flames than any other guy on that list.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Gaudreau
2. Monahan
3. Bennett
4. Backlund
5. Brouwer
6. Frolik
7. Ferland

1. Giordano
2. Brodie
3. Hamilton

1. Elliott

Or the way less likely

1. Gaudreau
2. Monahan
3. Bennett
4. Backlund
5. Giordano
6. Brodie
7. Hamilton
8. Jokipakka

1. Elliott

I think there's no way they go the 8 skaters route. Not a chance.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 Mattsson exposed if he has not signed? Hickey exempt only if signed?

I have a couple questions regarding Adam Ollas-Mattsson & Brandon Hickey...
Quote:
Exposed
Jyrki Jokipakka
Tyler Wotherspoon
Brett Kulak
Ryan Culkin
Rushan Rafikov
Adam Ollas-Mattsson (*if he has not yet signed)
Quote:
Ollas-Mattson is a guy that would have to be signed or else based on his 2014 draft year, would be available (see Brandon Hickey below)
Quote:
Exempt
Rasmus Andersson
Oliver Kylington
Brandon Hickey (*if he signs)
Kenney Morrison
Keegan Kanzig
Riley Bruce
Quote:
The Hickey situation is worth noting. Because the second-year Boston University blue-liner was drafted in 2014, Calgary would have to expose him unless he leaves college and signs with the Flames this summer or early next. I think the odds of that happening are good but it would put some pressure on the organization to get him under contract sooner than later as otherwise, I'd put him at the top of the wish list if I was an expansion team looking at the available Calgary players.
http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2016/...expansion.html
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2016/...expansion.html

It looks like that was written before the NHL's rules came out and were based on some of the speculative rules.

Specifically this clause:
Quote:
Unsigned players that are greater than two years removed from their draft year would be available unless teams protect them.
Does not appear in the NHL's official release about the expansion draft rules: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansi...es/c-281010592

Note Haynes article was written on March 19, 2016 while the NHL didn't release their rules until June 22nd.

It is possible that clause makes it in, but I would say that it is not part of the official rules that we know of, but the Haynes article is assuming a rule that as far as we know doesn't apply to Hickey or Ollas Mattsson as the NHL release specifically states:

Quote:
All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-29-2016 at 03:43 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
sureloss has a thread in The Back Burner forum that states the Flames own the rights for both players through to June 1, 2018 and to August 15, 2018, respectively. The expansion draft will be happening from June 18-20, 2017. As such, I would think both players would be exempted from the draft even if they are unsigned before the draft?

The rules for the expansion draft found on the NHL website state that (my emphasis added): "All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

EDIT: sureloss sureloss'd my reference to sureloss' thread!

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 10-29-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the Flames need to expose salary, so they might protect Kulak and expose Frolik instead, as an example. I can't remember but it's a certain percentage of the cap that needs to be exposed and it can't be pending UFAs
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

1. Ferland
2. Brouwer
3. Bennett
4. Frolik
5. Monahan
6. Gaudreau
7. Backlund

1. Giordano
2. Hamilton
3. Brodie

1. Elliott

I also believe that measures will be taken to protect Jokipakka.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #13
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I'm pretty sure the Flames need to expose salary, so they might protect Kulak and expose Frolik instead, as an example. I can't remember but it's a certain percentage of the cap that needs to be exposed and it can't be pending UFAs
There are absolutely no requirements for existing teams with regards to how much or how little salary must be exposed or protected. For Las Vegas: " The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap."
Old 10-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
1. Ferland
2. Brouwer
3. Bennett
4. Frolik
5. Monahan
6. Gaudreau
7. Backlund

1. Giordano
2. Hamilton
3. Brodie

1. Elliott

I also believe that measures will be taken to protect Jokipakka.
I think they'd have to expose 2 more forwards to keep Jokipikkle
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #15
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I think he is refering to a give Vegas a pick/prospect not to select Jokipakka type of deal
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #16
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I think he is refering to a give Vegas a pick/prospect not to select Jokipakka type of deal
Can you do that? Or is that a wink wink nudge nudge transaction? Something would have to come the other way
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #17
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The newly reported FA window that allows Las Vegas to negotiate with any RFAs and UFAs means that, unless any of the following players are extended prior to the expansion draft, Vegas would be able to talk to the following Flames unless they are protected by the Flames:

Kris Versteeg
Sam Bennett
Michael Ferland
Alex Chiasson
Brandon Bollig
Linden Vey
Dennis Wideman
Deryk Engelland
Jyrki Jokipakka
Brett Kulak
Ryan Culkin
Tyler Wotherspoon
Niklas Grossmann
Brian Elliott
Chad Johnson

Bennett and Elliott seem to be no-brainers for contracts prior to the draft and FA window. The FA window may encourage the Flames to protect Ferland even if he's not extended by then.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #18
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jokipkka might be one of the better D men available. Might take a good deal not to take him.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #19
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Can you do that? Or is that a wink wink nudge nudge transaction? Something would have to come the other way
The Flames have done it multiple times before in previous expansion drafts.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #20
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Future considerations would be the phrase.