Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-08-2017, 10:51 PM   #261
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't disagree with bold but there's something to be said about getting him ice time in defensive situations that Harvard may not be giving him. Offensively he's just too good for NCAA.
I don't think (know) if he'd be physically ready for pro hockey yet. Another year in Harvard isn't going to hurt him. He's not really a physically imposing fella. Let him dominate offensively and maybe get a little bigger and stronger.

Last edited by Johnny Rotten; 04-09-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #262
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
I don't think (know) if he'd be physically ready for pro hockey yet. Another year in Harvard isn't going to hurt him. He's not really a physically imposing fella. Let him dominate offensively and maybe get a little bigger and stronger.
Not to mention with our glut of defensive prospects he'd be far from assured of getting playing time. Coach would probably play the more experienced Kylington, Andersson, Healey, Wotherspoon, Kulak, Hickey (if he leaves school), etc ahead of him. He'd be competing with Ollas-Mattson too if he comes over. So you want him playing bit time or being scratched? No thanks.

Leave him in Harvard where he's playing big minutes until you know he's ready to play big minutes in pro. No need to rush him to the minors.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #263
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if Hickey is waiting until the off season to sign with the Flames to see if there's room in the organization. I wonder if the Flames part ways with Engelland, Wideman, Morrison, Culkin, Wotherspoon, Kostka and maybe Kulak, maybe we will see Fox and Hickey go pro?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #264
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm willing to bet Fox stays for another year, at least.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #265
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I wonder if Hickey is waiting until the off season to sign with the Flames to see if there's room in the organization. I wonder if the Flames part ways with Engelland, Wideman, Morrison, Culkin, Wotherspoon, Kostka and maybe Kulak, maybe we will see Fox and Hickey go pro?
Cutting bait on young prospects under the age of 23 is something a bad org would do.

Can't see them cutting Kulak (who is quite good), Culkin and Wotherspoon yet.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #266
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Cutting bait on young prospects under the age of 23 is something a bad org would do.

I can't see them keeping all three. Other guys need to play. Last year they cut a bunch of RFAs and not a single one has been missed.

I bet Kulak gets a one year deal, Wotherspoon gone, Culkin not really sure but probably gone so guys like Healy and Hickey can get ice time.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #267
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post

I think losing guys like Hickey to free agency because they haven't provided adequate opportunitie is something a bad organization would do. Especially if that means stringing along some dead weight busts or long shots.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #268
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think losing guys like Hickey to free agency because they haven't provided adequate opportunitie is something a bad organization would do. Especially if that means stringing along some dead weight busts or long shots.
We haven't lost Hickey to UFA. You're just being paranoid and imagining that he wouldn't want to sign here. Don't think the status of Kulak, Wotherspoon or Culkin would have any impact on his decision.

You're just being paranoid and using horrendous logic as usual
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #269
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Until I hear that Hickey is indeed going to exercise his right to become a UFA after next season, I will just assume that this is just the right move for his own development, and it also brings with it the positive of having his ELC being pushed back yet another year. That will come in real handy when the NHL decides to do another expansion and we as a fanbase are all panicking because we are going to lose a good defencemen.

Concerning? Sure. I would be lying if I said it wasn't concerning that we find out Hickey is returning to college when Treliving has already came out stating he is intending to sign him, and for us to get some news 'shortly'. However, we don't know what that conversation was between him and Hickey. These kids usually don't spurn the team that drafted them, but if he does, he does. Worrying about it and being panicked over it all season isn't going to make one iota of a difference. Running down the street while on fire is the wrong thing to do, so let's not do that.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #270
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Guys, guuuuuuuys!

Where's my "jump to conclusions" mat?

I'm sure I left it in here.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #271
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
We haven't lost Hickey to UFA. You're just being paranoid and imagining that he wouldn't want to sign here. Don't think the status of Kulak, Wotherspoon or Culkin would have any impact on his decision.

You're just being paranoid and using horrendous logic as usual
C'mon, you don't think players and their agents look at depth when choosing an organization? You're kidding yourself if you believe Hickey DOESN'T want to play in the NHL. He will look out for #1, as all people do.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #272
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

People saying hickey is not gone till he's gone but he's not signed till he's signed. Until he puts pen to paper I wouldn't be plugging him into our prospect depth, he's gonna play out this season and most likely choose which team he can play on the fastest. Its the risk you take with college guys, the flames are probably very annoyed by hickey playing his senior year, hope he has a good year but I'm not very optimistic about him signing here.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #273
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL..so much angst over a player that by himself would not make one bit of difference to the Flames. He is a good player, not generational, not even a star.
We have many other dmen in the same boat, if he doesnt sign, have at er, it is his right to choose. If he does sign, off to the minors for a few years of seasoning.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post: