Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #3301
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

god that's awful to look at. somebody please post the Gaudreau section of picks before I rip my own skin clean off my face.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #3302
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If we get Kucherov then we likely don't suck enough to get Bennett or almost definitely Tkachuk. Guess we'll find out in the long run.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #3303
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Wouldn't Tampa keep Drouin over Johnson? He is younger and Johnson seems to be getting hurt for the past few years.
They want Johnson gone (for salary cap reasons), and see Point as his replacement
Old 04-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #3304
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It's funny (sad) because I remember hearing that Tod Button had two "wildcard" picks for that draft.

Gaudreau
Kucherov

If they take Kucherov at 57, maybe they don't gamble on Johnny in the 4th round. But boy would it be fun right now if they had gambled on both.
Quote:
Presiding over that draft had been Jay Feaster, whose work-the-list mantra had been well-established. But Button convinced him to leave Gaudreau and Russian winger Nikita Kucherov as wild cards. In other words, don’t include them in the team’s in-house rankings of prospects.

“I said to Jay, ‘I’d like the latitude of not putting them on the list. Then when it’s time to make the call, let me make the call,’ ” recalls Button.

The Flames merrily made their second-round shouts — Markus Granlund, 45th; Tyler Wotherspoon, 57th — then groaned when the Tampa Bay Lightning nabbed Kucherov at No. 58.

“I turned to Jay and said, ‘We’ve got to take Johnny with the next pick,’ ” recalls Button. “Jay said, ‘Go ahead. Take him.’ ”

Unfortunately for the Calgarians, Darryl Sutter had already peddled their third-round choice to the Edmonton Oilers in the Steve Staios deal.

So Button perspired his way into the fourth round and got his man, 104th overall.
Article
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #3305
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelsson View Post
If we get Kucherov then we likely don't suck enough to get Bennett or almost definitely Tkachuk. Guess we'll find out in the long run.
And maybe the Hamilton trade doesn't happen. That pick might have been in the 20s instead of 15.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #3306
hicksie7
Draft Pick

Default Tavares

This is pure speculation based on nothing but my own random thoughts... but reading about Tavares and the NYI wanting to start contract negotiations this summer got me thinking.

If negotiations start off poor because Tavares doesn't want to commit before the arena situation gets figured out and the isles start getting worried he'll potentially walk after next year, do they look at moving him this summer?

And let's also assume that Calgary management soured a bit on gaudreau after his playoff performance (not necessarily looking to move him but more open to listen). Any chance there's a possible deal there around gaudreau and Tavares?

Isles get an American born kid from the area, with a fairly recognizable name for them, locked up long term (they may have trouble attracting FA's given their uncertainty). They also get 3 years younger and gaudreau is close to his family playing in a less physical eastern conference.

Flames get 3 years older but get a guy much better suited for heavy playoff hockey. Tavares I believe has experience playing left wing as well. They then could extend him given that stajan and bouma are off the books after next year plus the room from gaudreau's 6.75.

Thoughts? Just an idea, but thought it may make some sense on a lot of levels.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #3307
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Just position wise would be hard on the NYI side.
Hard to trade a #1 C for a winger.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:24 PM   #3308
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Depends if Oilers low ball him.
All the Oiler fans are adamant he will sign 8 years and 9.7 million because he loves the city and team so much. They really actually think McJesus is going to leave close to 5 million on the table every year for 8 years?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #3309
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary would have to add significantly for Tavares in my opinion. But if that option was on the table, if i'm Treliving i'd be trying to make it happen from all angles
Old 04-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #3310
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Calgary would have to add significantly for Tavares in my opinion. But if that option was on the table, if i'm Treliving i'd be trying to make it happen from all angles
I wouldn't say significantly. Gaudreau is 3 years younger and they have produced similarly over their careers. 0.88 to 0.91 ppg

Centre > winger so Flames do add but not a ton IMO

An extension for JT in Calgary would have to be in place as well
Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #3311
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Why is that? Tavares is a pending UFA and he could walk for nothing in a year. Risky for the Flames, where Gaudreau has 5 years left at a reasonable cap hit.

Not saying I think the trade is likely to happen or anything, but it's never as simple as "Tavares > Gaudreau".
Old 04-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #3312
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't say significantly. Gaudreau is 3 years younger and they have produced similarly over their careers. 0.88 to 0.91 ppg

Centre > winger so Flames do add but not a ton IMO

An extension for JT in Calgary would have to be in place as well
In my opinion PPG is pretty much the only category you can compare Gaudreau and Tavares in.

Tavares is a completely dominant centre in all aspects of the game. Agreed the extension would have to be in place before a trade was made

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Why is that? Tavares is a pending UFA and he could walk for nothing in a year. Risky for the Flames, where Gaudreau has 5 years left at a reasonable cap hit.

Not saying I think the trade is likely to happen or anything, but it's never as simple as "Tavares > Gaudreau".
Sorry, extension would have to be in place prior to the deal.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:42 PM   #3313
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Islanders aren't trading Tavares for a winger. Think Monahan+ if there is a deal to be made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #3314
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tavares would be prime. Tavares + Monny down the middle? Yes please! I would gladly trade Bennett+ for Tavares. I don't believe Bennett will amount to anything other than an average 2nd line center or a true 3rd line center. I just don't like him lol. I'm still so choked that Oilers took Draisaitl and we got Bennett. Tavares + Monny + Backs down the middle, Johnny + Tkachuk + hopefully a solid top 6 RW at some point down the line on the wings would be an insane line up, absolutely deadly. We need an answer for McDavid, Tavares would be it.

However, Tavares is insanely loyal, he may just sign an extension with the Isles, if not, I expect Montreal to make a HUGE push for him either as a trade or when he hits FA. They need a true #1 center and are in "win now" mode with Price, Pacioretty, and Weber in their "win now ages" and I honestly believe they are a true #1 center in Tavares away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, and that would spot Galchenyuk perfectly in the 2nd line center role.

Last edited by AT77; 04-27-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:22 AM   #3315
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think we will hear some unexpected names on the market in June at the drafts. Paccioretty for one. A lot of goalies and top 4 D. Going to be a fun month of June. Especially if we can get some sweeps and the cup goes east sooner.
The Following User Says Thank You to dying4acup For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #3316
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Id be highly interested in Kovalchuk. Sign and trade is possible and hes basically another Ovechkin. Imagine how insane he would be with Gaudreau and totally change this team into a legit contender if goaltending is solved. Maybe our first and a 4th to NJ this year and sign him 6*3? Its expensive but we would have to outbid lots of teams. I know hes 34 but im willing to give that up if it means a deep playoff run and Kovalchuk has proven to be money in the playoffs. RH Shot pp beast.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:02 AM   #3317
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tavares is likely a $10M cap hit. Rather not trade any of our young players for him.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #3318
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Tavares is likely a $10M cap hit. Rather not trade any of our young players for him.
Not that I think he will get traded, especially to Calgary, but people said that about Stamkos too. He got $8.5 per even after testing the open market and Stamkos has had the more productive career not only points wise but also scoring goals.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #3319
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with that, he only needs to point at the kopitar deal as justification. We'd definitely need to shed dead salary add find some value players to make it work.

Saying that, oilers are going to get mcdavid for 9.5 apparently so perhaps he'll be cheaper.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #3320
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not that I think he will get traded, especially to Calgary, but people said that about Stamkos too. He got $8.5 per even after testing the open market and Stamkos has had the more productive career not only points wise but also scoring goals.
Florida tax rate plays a big part in that

Not sure of exact numbers but I believe that 8.5 is comparable after tax to a lot more in other places
Closed Thread