Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Seattle travel advice

I'm headed to Seattle for a Baseball trip/ Stag to see the Jays and will be there for about aweek in total. Any can't miss or suggestions on things to do while there?
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

The pop museum is a can't miss if. Great Nirvana exhibit, as well as a current exhibit about some progressive video game designs. The entire museum though is great.

If you have a family there is a weekend pass that includes the POP, science centre, Space Needle, Aquarium and a harbor tour. Good deal.

Of course check out the market - it is unlike anything we have and you can waste hours wandering around.

The food is fantastic - try one of Tommy Douglas' many joints such as Serious Pie. And of course tons of sea food.

Lots of cool bars, places to catch live music - and other such things.

If you like Pin - the pinball museum is amazing and great value (pay one price and play all you want).

Really depends on what you are into. I am fortunate to go their often and I'm a big fan.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The Boeing factory tour is pretty cool. You can see the 787 Dreamliner assembly line.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wife and I did a walking tour of breweries trying a bunch of local beers. Was great.

Wasn't planned or anything. We just walked around and googled some brewery's. Visited about 5 or 6.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree with Jiri on the Pop museum, especially if you're a Nirvana fan, but even if you're not it's worth checking out.

Archie McPhee is probably the weirdest store I've ever been to. It's kind of like one of those old San Francisco stores we used to have in malls here, but turned up to 11. It's a good place to get cheap Seattle novelties to bring back as gifts. Who can't use a devil ducky or two?

If you like MEC, REI is the US version and it was founded in Seattle. Their main store in Seattle is huge and really great. Kind of just a bigger MEC, with more brands, but even with the crappy Canadian dollar there are some good deals on high quality outdoor clothes and gear.

And I highly recommend the Underground Tour. It's a little cheesy... but still completely fascinating and gives a great overview of the early days of Seattle and why people from Seattle hate people from Tacoma.

Seattle really is a great city. One caveat, the traffic is terrible! It's just insulting to be on the interstate going 10 miles an hour as you pass a speed limit sign that says 70MPH. Plan a lot of extra time to get to your destinations, regardless of whether you're driving yourself or taking transit/cab/uber.

Edit: Just realized you said you're going for a stag. Most of my recommendations were more with a family/couples trip slant. The bit about traffic still applies and you might need REI if you discover you've some how lost all your clothes after a particularly epic night.

Last edited by mikephoen; 04-25-2017 at 09:56 PM.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shorty's is probably my favourite dive bar in North America. FX McCrorys is great for pre and postgame drinks if you like whiskey. The music/SciFi museum is pretty awesome. I'm not a fan of the market because I hate crowds and I hate window-shopping but if you're into walking 1mph and looking at a bunch of junk, then it'll be right in your wheelhouse.

International district is where you'll find pretty decent, cheap eats.

Capitol Hill district is a pretty cool area to wander around.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 AM   #7
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lots of good advice already so I'll chime in with some under the radar suggestions. Before I had kids, I used to go to Pioneer Square and walk around. I could spend literally the entire day just at the Elliott Bay Book Company, and at Everyday Music. The two stores are located across the street from one another. Very short drive (straight east) from Pike St Market.

Another nice place I liked hanging out at is Fremont. Lots of great restaurants and shops plus dozens of outdoor art installations to check out, including the famous Fremont Troll. Theo Chocolate is probably the most popular chocolatier in Seattle and their shop in Fremont offers factory tours with samples of all their different varieties of chocolates.

The Chittenden Locks in Ballard is a nice place to hang out on a nice day. The salmon run there is very impressive to see, although optimum viewing time is late summer.

Volunteer Park in Capitol Hill is another nice place to hang out. You can climb to the top of the water tower there and get some some nice views of Seattle.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highly recommend the Boeing plant in Everett.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #9
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an earlier poster mentioned, the traffic can be terrible. But they have a terrific transit system.

The pop museum is really cool. Last summer they had a Star Trek exhibit but I believe it was temporary

Dinner on the space needle is nice. Maybe a little pricey for quality of the food but views are worth it.

Origianl starbucks is down by the market.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Travel Thread:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=139071
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=127141
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=127141
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=125780
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=125594
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're going for the Jays series too.

I'm trying to convince everyone to go on the Boeing tour with me with minimal success :/
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #12
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Seattle City Pass is good value if you will be there a few days.

The Chihuly glass museum is right at the base of the Space Needle and is actually rather neat. You can also take a 1-hour harbour tour that is great for just getting off your feet for a bit when being a tourist in the pier areas. Especially on a nice day.

For those going only for the Jays and won't be there long, you can get by without renting a car. There's a train that goes straight from the airport downtown.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #13
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

All good suggestions so far. You're going for a stag so I anticipate a lot of focus on drinking. Seattle is so great for beer. Try as many different ones as you can. Hey, why not create a contest and keep track of how many different local beers you each try? Kind of like the passport deal they did at Buzzards (maybe they still do).
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As mikephoen mentioned, the underground tour is worthwhile doing.
and you can't miss MoPOP as others have said, it has something for everyone.
http://www.mopop.org/
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #15
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
I'm headed to Seattle for a Baseball trip/ Stag to see the Jays and will be there for about aweek in total. Any can't miss or suggestions on things to do while there?
If you plan on doing any tourists stuff while the Jays are in town...... don't.

It's an absolute zoo. Go a few days before or stay a few after to get that stuff in. Jays games there an amazing experience, but anything else is a nightmare. Just far too many people.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 04-26-2017 at 07:57 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #16
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
double post.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #17
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
We're going for the Jays series too.

I'm trying to convince everyone to go on the Boeing tour with me with minimal success :/
Looks like you need to find a new group to go with
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #18
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
If you plan on doing any tourists stuff while the Jays are in town...... don't.

It's an absolute zoo. Go a few days before or stay a few after to get that stuff in. Jays games there an amazing experience, but anything else is a nightmare. Just far too many people.
I dunno. Half the fun was seeing Jays jerseys everywhere. And while it was noticeably busier (15-25,000 tourists all in at the same time will do that), I think you're just taking your typical negativity to its usual hyperbolic levels.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #19
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

The Chihuly glass museum is right at the base of the Space Needle and is actually rather neat.
The Chihuly is my favourite of all Seattle attractions.

Love the pizza at Serious Pie. It's a pizza place/bar but it can get really busy. There are a few locations.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #20
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't forget your passport in your rental car...

The car rental area is a bus ride away from the terminal. I learned this the hard way.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote