Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #21
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Johnny is going to meet Mrs. Hockey here and this is where home will be and this is where he will raise his family.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #22
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

McDavid says the same thing about 29 other teams.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BurningSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #23
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

meh, agreed that it's taken way too out of context and the headline is so stupid.

Quote:
“Yeah it’d be sweet,” Gaudreau told the 94WIP Morning Show when asked about potentially playing for the Flyers.
So here is how I read that...

" So Johnny, how would you feel if you ever had the chance to play for the Flyers?" - Reporter

“Yeah it’d be sweet. I’ve got a ton of family here, all my friends — I actually have a wedding this week here in South Jersey. All my friends come back here, all my good friends, and kids that I’ve played with my whole life are from South Jersey. So, it would be sweet to play here some day. You know you never know in sports, but it’s a lot of support back here in South Jersey and the Philly area.” - Gaudreau

Seems like a normal reasonable answer to a homer interviewer question looking to pull a good headline.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #24
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that the same Gaudreau? He seemed to have grown 2 more inches! So, 3 more years and he's gonna bolt!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah....I'd tell Philly fans exactly what they want to hear too, those guys are insane.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #26
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The end is near! Repent, ye sinners.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #27
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Can I ask us as a community to put a lid on these types of discussions until 2021? He's under contract for 5 more years, so unless the team sours on him overnight, he's not going anywhere. If I have to read about people worrying that he might sign elsewhere for his next contract for the next 4 years, it's going to be painful, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Moving on...
Alright I guess you won't be logging on till 2021. Bye

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #28
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if McDavid gets bombarded with the same types of question by the Toronto media all the time and how he would respond.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #29
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
Hey. I only posted the story as noteworthy. That's what we're here for Flames news and stories. There hasn't been much overreacting here but imagine the grief we would be giving Oiler fans if McDavid said it would be sweet to be a Leaf.
So, this should be talked about because we should expect some grief from Oilers fans?

I agree with CFF: Gaudreau is locked up for five years, and any concern about his future with the Flames beyond 2022 is grossly premature. The ONLY reason this ever comes up is because he is a US born player who played his entire Amateur career in the US. If he had been born in London, ON and was drafted out of the OHL this would never be discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #30
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So, this should be talked about because we should expect some grief from Oilers fans?

I agree with CFF: Gaudreau is locked up for five years, and any concern about his future with the Flames beyond 2022 is grossly premature. The ONLY reason this ever comes up is because he is a US born player who played his entire Amateur career in the US. If he had been born in London, ON and was drafted out of the OHL this would never be discussed.
Aww c'mon, can we at least make this the "Official 5 years of hand wringing and Johnny to the Flyers trade proposal thread"? It's gonna be so much fun.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #31
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

He's one of the flashier players in the NHL. No doubt he would be more valuable to Philly due to marketing. Maybe Philly even overpays for him down the road.

Somewhat related: I wonder how much Iginla could have changed the hockey landscape if he was in a big US city with a larger black population.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #32
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just like how every off season, the Leafs have every Ontario born UFA banging on their door, begging to take a discount so that they can play with the glorious Leafs
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #33
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plant the seeds for a monster return 5 years down the road.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #34
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Nope. Some members of the forum appreciate the sharing of information. Others choose to bury their heads in the sand. The overreaction seems to be coming from those that don't care to know.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #35
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Pretty much every player would like to play where their life-long friends and their families live. This is just Johnny being honest. It doesn't mean necessarily he would prefer playing for Philly than Calgary over the long term, but it could mean that.

This is nothing to be concerned about. Its the reason Toronto fans keep poking Oiler fans about McDavid.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #36
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Well when I think of potential "career Flames" on our roster, I don't think of Gaudreau. It's pretty likely the max we see of him is the remainder of this contract.
Yup, the interview he did with the Boston Sports guys someone posted on here should have sealed that thought for everyone. Not a big deal though. We get him for his prime and then can ship him off for prospects.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #37
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If he does leave at some time down the road, then we Calgary fans were exclusively privy to witness the rise and blossoming of Johnny Hockey, hopefully future Stanley Cup winner and HHOF member.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #38
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Yup, the interview he did with the Boston Sports guys someone posted on here should have sealed that thought for everyone.
What a panicked, shorted sighted bit of nonsense.

So much can happen in the next five years it's outright asinine to suggest it's a done deal he's going to leave.

I know it's the summer, but some of you never cease to amaze with the chicken little crap.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #39
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm born and raised in Calgary, as a Flames fan. But I think it would be sweet to play for the Flyers too. Or the Capitals. Or the Panthers. Or the Sharks.

Since he's holding a charity golf tournament in the area and he's trying to draw attention to it, no #### he's going to say it would be sweet to play for them when ASKED the question.

Good answer by Johnny. If it brings more attention to raise money for a charitable event, he said the right thing.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames don't enjoy some meaningful playoff success over the remaining term of his contract, I suspect leaving the Flames won't be his decision in any case.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote