Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #1421
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
So the most overrated Blue Jay of all-time almost cost the Jays the game yesterday. A 4-hopper one step to the left of Goins, easy double play and he lets it go through his legs. Thankfully Osuna just K'd the next two batters, but what do people see in Goins?

He has been extremely lucky this year with when his hits have come making him look clutch, but he is a .220 batter with minimal power, and I don't think his defense is as good as people make it out to be. The metrics don't like him this year (I know that does not tell the whole story) and he makes a lot of lazy mistakes like the one yesterday.
The guy is a good bench player as a defensive replacement that can play a lot of positions. That's his purpose in life. He's been a decent replacement while we battled injuries. Not sure what more you can ask of him.

If Goins could hit, he would definitely be a starting second basemen though. His D while maybe overrated, is well above average. Hasn't been what it was made about to be lately, but the guys plays a different position every second game. Hard to get comfortable.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 06-01-2017 at 11:03 AM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #1422
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

The media, for sure, especially Ryan Goins fan club president Jerry Howarth, feed into this, but there are many fans at the games and just in general that think he should be a starter.

I hear it every time I go to a game, how Goins should be given a chance to start. Remember the love that John MacDonald got? Ryan Goins can;t even hold John MacDonald's jock strap and he was way overrated as well.

It's the backup QB syndrome.

To the people that are saying he has above average defense and a end of the bench to replacement level player, you are clearly rating him properly.

Haha, Joe Carter. He was a product of the RBI being overrated. He was a good player who had one legendary moment. I remember him, much like Vernon Wells later, seemingly always killing rallies with a bases loaded pop up or GIDP.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #1423
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, Joe Carter. He was a product of the RBI being overrated. He was a good player who had one legendary moment. I remember him, much like Vernon Wells later, seemingly always killing rallies with a bases loaded pop up or GIDP.
Heh, yeah. He was one really good year, hit behind better players, and had a couple of great moments. Folk thought that he was better then he was because... dingers! Ribeyes!... but he didn't do enough to warrant his popular stature. The real issue with him was that he was overrated by Cito. Cito would sit Olerud so Carter could play even though Olerud was easily a better hitter (Even young fan me could see that).

Fans can overrate Goins as much as they want... just so long as Gibby doesn't. I never got the "put Tulo at 1st" Tulo is a really good defender, he's so smooth out there. Goins defense vs. Tulo's defense is sizzle vs. steak, Tulo is as good if not better... he's just not flashy about it.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #1424
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jays fans and media always overrate their defensive infielders who can't hit a lick. Goins, MacDonald, Kawasaki.

It's the Jays way.

Of course Carter is overrated - he is probably the most known Jay out of people who don't follow the Jays. He was likely the 5-6 best hitter on the WS teams. BUT, he also has one of the most memorable WS moments of all time so i can't blame people for over-rating him.

If Justin Smoak hits a bomb to win the 2017 World Series, lord knows I would remember that name.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #1425
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ironically, there was an article yesterday on how Goins believes he can be a regular starter

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/spo...play-every-day
Old 06-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #1426
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

In case anyone was wondering what ever happened to Brett Lawrie.

Quote:
To celebrate National Ketchup Day and Canada’s 150th birthday, Pringles is introducing ketchup chips, finally. With a twist. Since it’s too hard to describe the event, here’s an excerpt from the company’s press release.

While Pringles may be late to the Ketchup Chip party, it's aiming to be the first to achieve a crazy, ketchup-covered world record. In the lead-up to National Ketchup Day (June 5), the Pringles Ketchup Slippery Slide will glide into downtown Toronto on Saturday, June 3, at the corner of Front St. W. and Simcoe St. Beginning at noon, Ketchup Chip fanatics will suit up in ketchup-resistant coveralls, helmets and goggles and hurl themselves down a 50-foot slippery slide covered in ketchup. In addition to expressing their love for Ketchup Chips, participants will help Pringles set a unique world record – "The Most Canadians to Slip Down a Ketchup Slippery Slide in One Hour.
But wait - there’s more!

The Pringles Ketchup Slippery Slide event will be hosted by self-proclaimed Ketchup Chip keener, enthusiastic slider and former Toronto Blue Jays star, Brett Lawrie. "Ketchup Chips are seriously one of my all-time favourite chip flavours," says Lawrie. "Playing in the show means spending a lot of time outside of the true north strong and free, and they're one of the things that I miss most. I'm amped up to see Ketchup Chip fans on the Pringles Ketchup Slippery Slide and be part of such a flavourful celebration of Canada's 150th birthday. It's slide time!”
http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2017/5...lawrie-ketchup
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #1427
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Article

Quote:
Nothing tantalizes and titillates baseball people quite like someone whose talent is so obvious, so preternatural that he defies every expectation of what he can and should be. And so with that in mind – and with a certain amount of caution but even more excitement – two scouts this week offered the same opinion: By the end of the 2017 season, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is going to be the best prospect in baseball.
Apparently Vladdy Jr. and Bo Bichette are tearing up single A in Lansing, as teenagers.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 06-01-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #1428
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bolsinger DFA'd (yay!)

Jays recall Campos
Old 06-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #1429
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Bolsinger DFA'd (yay!)

Jays recall Campos
Likely a short stay with Liriano back tomorrow
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #1430
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So the most overrated Blue Jay of all-time almost cost the Jays the game yesterday. A 4-hopper one step to the left of Goins, easy double play and he lets it go through his legs. Thankfully Osuna just K'd the next two batters, but what do people see in Goins?

He has been extremely lucky this year with when his hits have come making him look clutch, but he is a .220 batter with minimal power, and I don't think his defense is as good as people make it out to be. The metrics don't like him this year (I know that does not tell the whole story) and he makes a lot of lazy mistakes like the one yesterday.
I can't even begin to tell you how absurd most of your post is, and I'm not a huge Goins fan.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #1431
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Turn on the TV to see the Yanks make it 7-0.

Yikes.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 06:26 PM   #1432
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will say, up until this year, to me Goins had the best fielding I've ever seen as a Jay. Yes, even better than Alomar. I don't know what's happened this year but prior to this the guy was lights out. I'm sure there's some stat to back that up. Anyway, his bat has always been crap and at this stage he will likely never develop it. Good to keep the guy around to the playoffs where he could come in handy.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #1433
Sakic19
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tough start for Estrada, but thankfully the spelling bee is also on.
Sakic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #1434
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes.

F U Yanks
Old 06-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #1435
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you think Goins is overrated defensively you don't know baseball... The bats another story but he is a stud with the glove.
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #1436
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any interest?

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Struggling reliever Sam Dyson will be designated for assignment by #Rangers. Jose Leclerc will come off DL to take Dyson’s place.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources add: #Rangers expect to trade Dyson. Informed other clubs today of plan to move him. More than one showed interest. Dyson owed $2M+.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Dyson is under club control for two more seasons after this one. He has allowed 43 baserunners - including six homers - in 16 2/3 innings.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #1437
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Any interest?

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Struggling reliever Sam Dyson will be designated for assignment by #Rangers. Jose Leclerc will come off DL to take Dyson’s place.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources add: #Rangers expect to trade Dyson. Informed other clubs today of plan to move him. More than one showed interest. Dyson owed $2M+.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Dyson is under club control for two more seasons after this one. He has allowed 43 baserunners - including six homers - in 16 2/3 innings.
They can put him and Joey Bats beside each other in the locker room.

I winder what's wrong with him? Pretty decent career so far and then just off a cliff this season.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #1438
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure Dyson will have quite a few suitors. Doubt the Jays would acquire him considering Jose and that team chemistry stuff and all. It's a little risky. Who knew he was going to drop so quickly?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #1439
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Yeah, this team already has so many big egos and personalities (which I actually like), but you've gotta to be careful when adding to that
Old 06-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #1440
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

No Martin tonight, out with a neck issue that is unrelated to his previous nerve issue.

That doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies with Liriano back on the mound tonight.