Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-01-2016, 02:17 AM   #1
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Brandon Hickey will return to BU for his junior season

Pat SteinbergVerified account
‏@Fan960Steinberg
#Flames GM Brad Treliving confirms Brandon Hickey will return to Boston University for his junior season.
Isikiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. Let him ripen in college a little more where he'll likely get lots of ice time.

Heat are already loaded up on D as it is, and that's not including Rafikov or AOM, both of whom could potentially come to NA next season.

I honestly believe that the Heat right now have 4 eventual NHL defenseman on their roster as it is, all of which could still see significant time down in Stockton next season.

Tyler Wotherspoon (RFA and has to pass through waivers, hopefully stays in NHL)
Brett Kulak
Ryan Culkin
Oliver Kylington

Then you have Patrick Sieloff who is till under contract next year.
Also, Kenney Morrison has another year left on his deal.
Keegan Kanzig is done his over age season in junior and has a contract, he'll be turning pro.
On top of all that you have Rasmus Anderssen probably going pro as well, and also with a contract.

You can certainly see why Gilmour was not offered an ELC, and it makes sense for Hickey to stay another year at BU.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was expected. Hopefully the Flames don't let him become a senior and risk losing him
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Was expected. Hopefully the Flames don't let him become a senior and risk losing him
Someone's a little paranoid!
Not worth worrying about when you consider we've lost zero players ever in that fashion as far as I know. Last high profile prospect we lost to not signing was Jarret Stoll in the early 2000's multiple regimes ago. And we were about to trade his rights for a 2nd and a 4th when a fax machine issue happened.

No point spreading pointless fear and panic over something not worth worrying about.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #5
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Not worth worrying about when you consider we've lost zero players ever in that fashion as far as I know. Last high profile prospect we lost to not signing was Jarret Stoll in the early 2000's multiple regimes ago. And we were about to trade his rights for a 2nd and a 4th when a fax machine issue happened.

No point spreading pointless fear and panic over something not worth worrying about.
Tom Erixon.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Tom Erixon.
We traded him for two 2nds (Granlund/Wotherspoon) and Roman Horak. Great trade, we didn't lose him for nothing.

Last prospect we lost was over a decade ago. The amount of worrying some posters do about prospects potentially being lost is out of proportion to what the actual worry should be.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Tom Erixon.
was not a college player...
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:33 AM   #8
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Tom Erixon.

I thought that they got a hell of a return for him... Where is he now?
zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #9
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not worth worrying about when you consider we've lost zero players ever in that fashion as far as I know.
Yeah but it would be boring without the usual paranoia. Gaudreau panic turned into Jankowski panic ... only logical for it to turn into Hickey panic next year.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure who Tom Erixon is, but the Tim Erixon traded ended up being a bullet dodged by the Flames.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, pretty sure it's Tom
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It's poor logic to assume something won't happen just because it hasn't happened before. Agents are not providing the same advice to their NCAA clients as they were in the early 2000s. I suggest you consider Murphy's Law.

There's no point for the Flames organization to accept the risk unless the benefits outweigh the costs. Hickey should be a pro soon anyways, so why absorb unnecessary risk?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #13
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is zero reason to panic because I have faith in the Flames organization. As Jankowski mentioned the way the Flames treated him and made him feel important made him completely rule out the option of going to free agency. As long as the Flames keep treating their prospects in this manor we have very little to worry about.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
There is zero reason to panic because I have faith in the Flames organization. As Jankowski mentioned the way the Flames treated him and made him feel important made him completely rule out the option of going to free agency. As long as the Flames keep treating their prospects in this manor we have very little to worry about.
Some of us are not men of "Flames blinding faith". Poille is one the best minds and personalities in the game and he failed to even get a conversation with Vesey. Doesn't matter how well the organization treats their players, if Hickey becomes a senior, there will always be something to worry about.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #15
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Some of us are not men of "Flames blinding faith". Poille is one the best minds and personalities in the game and he failed to even get a conversation with Vesey. Doesn't matter how well the organization treats their players, if Hickey becomes a senior, there will always be something to worry about.
But why worry about that before he has even started playing his juniour season? This looks like scaremongering hyperbole to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #16
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No there isn't anything to worry about. I like Hickey, but he is still a long shot to make it, but worrying about him signing is pointless.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #17
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

With every day that goes by, I'm convinced we're going to lose Kylington in the expansion draft. Sending Hickey back for another year was important for that reason alone.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #18
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
No there isn't anything to worry about. I like Hickey, but he is still a long shot to make it, but worrying about him signing is pointless.
I don't think you know how to do this? Just because you keep saying no, doesn't mean the third time is any more meaningful than the first, not unless accompanied by a point. You liking Hickey is not a relevant one.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #19
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
With every day that goes by, I'm convinced we're going to lose Kylington in the expansion draft. Sending Hickey back for another year was important for that reason alone.
I assume the expansion teams have to hit the cap floor, hence teams are having to expose 25% of their salary. No doubt some ELCs will be taken, but it's impossible to predict
Old 04-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #20
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you know how to do this? Just because you keep saying no, doesn't mean the third time is any more meaningful than the first, not unless accompanied by a point. You liking Hickey is not a relevant one.
You are trying to incite fear where there is nothing to be concerned about. People aren't buying it so you try to make it sound worse. As usual you have no idea what you are talking about.