Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #101
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think that the Flames could possibly top 50 wins this year. But... I don't want to be overly optimistic, and I'm gonna put it at 45-28-9.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:20 AM   #102
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think that the Flames could possibly top 50 wins this year. But... I don't want to be overly optimistic, and I'm gonna put it at 45-28-9.
You think the best 3-on-3 team in the league will have 9 loser points? They only had 4 last year and have averaged 6 per season since Gaudreau joined the team.

99 points sounds about right though so I'll go with 47-30-5.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #103
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would you rather Janko play in the NHL on the wing, or spend more time in the AHL at centre? I would love to see this guy with the flames to start the season, but really don't think its beneficial for him to be our 4th line centre. I would love to see him on the wing playing with Backlund and Frolik this year so he can get acclimatized to the speed of the NHL, play those hard minutes and be responsible defensively. Then next year let him go for a centre position with a year of NHL experience under his belt. You can put Tkachuk on a line with Bennett and a Lazar/Brouwer/Versteeg to have a real gritty 2nd/3rd line. I know that this means breaking up the formidable 3M line but it would be awesome to see Janko have a season similar to Tkachuk's last year. I think this guy needs to be in the NHL in some capacity.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #104
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

My expectation is no PTOs for washed up players at training camp
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #105
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have two expectations for the 2017/18 season - (i) make the post season (preferably with home ice advantage) and (ii) beat the oilers in at least three of the five meetings (obviously five for five would be even better).

If the Flames deliver on these two fronts the season will be a huge success.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #106
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expectations have certainly been raised. Glad to hear Treliving is planning on looking for more skill up front and depth on D. Marleau would be a nice add on a 2 year deal. Keeping Stone is ideal but if not Franson, Del Zotto, Kulikov all interest me as a number 5 Dman

Gaudreau-Monahan-Marleau
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Lazar
Hathaway-Jankowski-Brouwer

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone

Smith
Johnson

I expect that to be a top 4 team in the west.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #107
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need to see how rest of the offseason plays out. Right now they have swapped out Elliott for Smith and Stone for Hamonic compared to team that lost to Anaheim. That is an improvement hopefully, but not dramatic in and of itself. And last year's team was remarkably healthy. Improvement will need to come from growth of young players which doesn't always happen in a linear fashion.

A better start sure would be nice. If 20 games into the season excuses are being made for new players etc. it will be a disappointment.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #108
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

An improved blue line would be my number one expectation. Followed closely by improved goaltending due in no small part to that improved blue line. Forwards a little harder to say what I expect without knowing if Bennett is going to breakout. That's what's needed.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #109
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Flames

I expect us to crush our enemies, See them driven before us, then Hear the lamentations of their women.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #110
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

First place in the Pacific division. I think that's a fair goal. I expect top two.

2nd round of playoffs at least.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #111
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious if people's expectations have changed with all the Treliving activity?
I still am sticking with I'd be happy with a solid 4th-ish finish in the West.. at least deep into the 2nd round.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #112
crdr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Goaltending has been up in the air since Kiprusoff*. Someone (Parsons I'm looking at you.) to step up and keep the number one spot. This is unacceptable in professional sports. Too many years without a number one goalie...We can sing Treliving's praises. But it was Sutter that got things done with half the talent we have today.

Last edited by crdr; 07-22-2017 at 02:14 PM.
crdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #113
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to go with 109 points.

First in the West.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #114
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdr View Post
Goaltending has been up in the air for 11 years now. Someone (Parsons I'm looking at you.) to step up and keep the number one spot. This is unacceptable in professional sports. 11 years without a number one goalie...We can sing Treliving's praises. But it was Sutter that got things done with half the talent we have today.
11 years? Kiprusoff was still elite as of 2012.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #115
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Smith/Lack are good, second round of playoffs.
If they suck, playoff miss.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #116
crdr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
11 years? Kiprusoff was still elite as of 2012.
My bad, but it sure as hell feels like it.
We need someone who will take the reigns and play those amount of games at a high level for me to get excited.
I just have a feeling Smith may not be the guy to do this. I would love to eat my words.

Last edited by crdr; 07-22-2017 at 02:22 PM.
crdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #117
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdr View Post
Goaltending has been up in the air since Kiprusoff*. Someone (Parsons I'm looking at you.) to step up and keep the number one spot. This is unacceptable in professional sports. Too many years without a number one goalie...We can sing Treliving's praises. But it was Sutter that got things done with half the talent we have today.
It hasn't been 11 years since we had a #1 goalie, and even if it was that doesn't have anything to do with Treliving, he's only been the GM for 3 years now.....and in those 3 years we've made the playoffs twice with a rebuilding team, so the goaltending, while not elite, has been fine even with the constant change over.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #118
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What are your expectations for the 2017/2018 season?

If Smith is good, battling for first in the division and deep playoff run.

If Smith is average, 3rd in division/wildcard spot, hopefully win a round in the playoffs.

If Smith is below average, miss the playoffs.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #119
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I expect a much better start. Full training camp for all and everybody understanding the system means 6 or 7 wins out of the first 10 games to me.

The other thing I want to see is that killer instinct. I want them to bury opponents and not take lesser teams lightly. This is a talented group but sometimes you just have to will yourself to a victory.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #120
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I expect a much better start. Full training camp for all and everybody understanding the system means 6 or 7 wins out of the first 10 games to me.

The other thing I want to see is that killer instinct. I want them to bury opponents and not take lesser teams lightly. This is a talented group but sometimes you just have to will yourself to a victory.
The Flames seem to have a knack most seasons to stumble out of the gate, questions arise, then they have to dig themselves out of a hole. Sadly, I'm kind of expecting the start this season to be the same.

But what I am expecting is once the team settles into their groove, is that we actually see one of the ''best defensive units in the NHL'' live up to their potential. I want to see 3 great pairings control the pace of the game. Be able to to shut down other team's top players and lock down a lead. Be able to QB the PP and make other teams regret taking penalties.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote