Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Team Draft Reviews

Rather than have individual threads, I thought we could consolidate.
I'll start us off with the 2017 Minnesota Wild draft review.

Overall Strategy

Lots of talk of this draft being weak. And I agree to a point. The way I saw this draft was that it lacked true franchise players at the top end. In addition, I see it being a very shallow draft. However between around 7-45 I largely think it is a pretty standard draft.
Given that I approached things a little different this year. Often I have a butt-load of picks through all rounds, but I saw little value beyond the 2nd so I concentrated my picks to the top 60 including make a draft day deal with The Droopy One sending 5 thirds for just two seconds. Not the type of deal I normally make.

On to the picks

#4 - Cale Makar

Why I like him:
I saw Makar has the most dynamic player in the draft with the highetst ceiling but also a lot of risk. But in terms of a guy who can really change a game - he's the guy in the draft that can do that.

Who else was considered:
Came down to Gabe Vilardi, Miro Heiskanen, or Makar. I decided I wouldn't take Heiskanen even though he likely goes 3 at the draft. I just don't see enough fantasy upside with him. So it came down to Gabe or Makar - and Goffie makes the decision for me by selecting Gabe.

#7 Casey Mittelstadt
Why I like him:
I was hot/cold on Casey during draft prep. At one point- he was my guy at #4 but I cooled him a little. But I like his offensive upside. Long-term project.

Who else was considered
Figured this would come down to Glass or Mittlestadt, and again I was waffling on which I would take. Again the decision is made for me.

#8 Elias Pettersson
Why I like him:
Was scared that someone would take him at 5 or 6. I see him as being under-rated on most lists. His production level this year in his league basically gives him a very high probability of being an effective NHLer. I think he has amongst the highest upside in the draft. Thrilled he was there even though I figured he would be

Who else was considered
No one. This was my guy here.

#14 Owen Tippet
Why I like him:
Another guy that I was hot/cold on - originally figuring I would take him at 7/8. However, I became concerned that he scores many "junior goals" not unlike a guy like Jake Virtanen. However at 14, he's good value given many consider him to be the top sniper in the draft.

Who else was considered
Was looking at guys like Suzuki, Necas, Andersson and Liljegren all here knowing that someone would drop. Happy that it was Tippet but those other guys would have been OK too. Knew I would have a good pick here.

#15 Michael Rasmussen
Why I like him:
Size and skill. Which mean someone probably takes him too high in the NHL draft. However at 15 I think its the right slot for him.

Who else was considered
It was either him or Eeli Tolvanen.

#19 Ryan Poehling
Why I like him:
One of the youngest players in the draft and has a ton of great attributes.

Who else was considered
I acquired #19 specifically to target this guy so I was very happy he was there. I don't think he dropped - this is just exactly where I saw him going. Didn't really have a plan B

#28 Josh Norris

Why I like him: Another guy with just great all around skills who has seemingly been moving up lists

Who else was considered:
Seriously considered taking goalie Jake Oettinger here but decided to chance him slipping in the 2nd...which leads us to...

#41 Henri Jokiharju
Watched Oettinger dropping right my lap, until Cheese reached his wrinkly old man paw into that lap and grabbed him right before my pick. Henri is a good consolation prize - as a great skating, puck-moving blueliner.

#43 - Jaret Anderson Dolan
Strong two way centre that seems destined to go right around this number

#48 - Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
This time it is Tilley that breaks me heart as he grabs Joni Ikonen the pick before me - a guy that I had been targeting at 48 the entire round. However, plan B is an obvious one as I would to draft a goalie in the 2nd and Luukkonen has way to many Ks not to be a great one. Has great physical stature for the modern day NHL goalie but performance has been uneven. But who knows with goalies. Worth a crack

That's it for the Wild. Generally happy with how things feel for me - I got the main guys I was targeting and came away with a lot of skilled prospects, using a 'home run' type approach to maximize upside.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 06-17-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florida.

Wait, there was a draft today?
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

OK will post mine here as well

The overall evaluation of the Calgary Flames weekend at the 2017 CPHL Entry Draft was positive.
Of course, every team says that five minutes after the two-day event is over.
But walking out of the arena on Saturday afternoon — with the 20th and 22nd overall draft picks GM Cheese coveted (Klim Kostin and Kailer Yamamato) and was happy to get both in those positions. “We’re excited,” Cheese said. “I think we’ve added some skill and different positions that fulfill a need. We’ve added a goaltender in the 2nd round, Jake Oettinger, that if you would have asked me (Friday afternoon), I didn’t think (we’d get). But you put them in order that you want them … and we’re happy.”
The Flames had a hunch what was going to happen early during Saturday’s first round. When the teams above them started drafting for their positional needs rather than selecting the best players at the draft, they had a feeling Kostin and Yamamato were going to fall into their laps.
“(We weren’t surprised) at all,” said Flames head scout Mrs. Cheese. “When you do this for a long time, your intelligence is up. You talk to people and you talk to agents, and you have a good idea what’s going on. When we went to the draft floor on Friday, we thought we had a chance at Klim at twenty, for sure.”
Calgary needed a bit of everything and addressed those needs.
After nabbing Kostin and Yamamato the Flames had four picks in second-round action and selected dominant Russian Center Alexei Lipanov, Boston U’s Goalie Jake Oettinger, Czech Center Ostap Safin and C/LW Marcus Davidsson from Sweden. They rolled on from there.
All of their draft selections will report to Calgary’s summer development camp, which starts July 4. From there, time will tell.
“We’re happy,” Cheese said. “These kind of drafts, everyone will get all excited and say, ‘I can’t believe he was there at this spot. But the reality is, it’s going to take time. The players are going to have to put in the work. (Saturday), as exciting as it is, the stopwatch goes off and it’ll be a long time until players develop.
“Hopefully one day, they’ll turn into players for us.”
And Cheese’s’s work isn’t over.
With a list of restricted and unrestricted free agents they’ll need to extend qualifying offers to soon.
“This is one day,” Cheese said. “We don’t play until October. We’ll keep banging away at it. There’s still lots to do and we’ll hammer away at it tomorrow.”

Flames round 1

Pick 20 - Klim Kostin, Dynamo Moskava, KHL
Height 6’3” — Weight 196 lbs - RW
A dynamic player on the international stage. With five points in six games, he led the Russians to the silver medal at the 2015 World Under 17 Hockey Challenge. He followed that up with four points in five games as an underager at the 2016 Under 18 World Championships. This summer he had four goals and seven points in five games, helping Russia to a bronze at the Ivan Hlinka. He also picked up three points in three games at the World Junior A Challenge. He was drafted first overall in the CHL Import Draft, but choose to stay in Russia instead of joining the Kootenay Ice.

Pick 22 - Kailer Yamamato, WHL
Height 5’9″ — Weight 160 lbs - LW
Kailer Yamamoto really made waves during the 2015-16 season when put up 19 goals and 71 points in just 57 games to lead the Spokane Chiefs in scoring. He was invited to play for Team USA at the 2016 IIHF Under 18 World Championships. Yamamoto scored seven goals and 13 points in just seven games in the tournament, helping the United States to a bronze medal. He also played in the Ivan Hlinka in the summer in 2015, putting up four goals and seven points in four games during that tournament.
After his big coming out party, he’s improved his draft stock with another strong season this year. Yamamoto scored 42 goals and 99 points in just 65 games for the Chiefs. He was one of the brightest spots on a disappointing team that finished 14 points out of the final playoff spot in the WHL Western Conference.

Flames round 2
Pick 33 - Alexei Lipanov, Dynamo Balashikha, VHL
Height 6’0″ — Weight 170 lbs - C
Alexei Lipanov really broke out at the 2016 World Junior A Challenge. He played on a line with 2018 NHL Draft prospect Andrei Svechnikov, and the two dominated the tournament. Lipanov had four goals and eight points in just four games. Russia would take home the bronze medal. Lipanov also played at last summer’s Ivan Hlinka Tournament, scoring five points in five games. He was also part of the Russian team that won bronze at the 2015 Under 18s, though his stat line of just three assists in seven games wasn’t really indicative of how well he played in the tournament. He also played in both the Under 17 and Under 18 during the 2015-16 season.

Pick 40 - Jake Oettinger, Boston University Terriers, NCAA Hockey East
Height 6’4″ — Weight 205 lbs - G
Jake Oettinger had an incredible freshman year with the Boston University Terriers. He won the starting goaltender job, played in 35 games, and put up a 2.11 goals against average as well as a .927 save percentage. His efforts earned him a spot on the Hockey East All-Rookie Team and the Hockey East Second Team All-Stars. He was also selected to play for Team USA at the World Junior Championships, however he was the third string goalie and didn’t get any playing time. He is expected to battle with his former US NTDP teammate Joseph Woll for the starting spot on next year’s team.
Oettinger does have plenty of international experience, playing for Team USA at both the 2016 and 2015 Under 18 World Championships, winning bronze and gold medals respectively; and playing in the 2015 Under 17 World Hockey Championship, putting up the best goals against average in the tournament and winning a silver medal. Oettinger also played in the All-American top prospects game in Philadelphia this past fall.
Pick 42 - Ostap Safin, Sparta Praha, Czech Extraliga
Height 6’4″ — Weight 198 lbs – C
Last summer the Czechs finally won the Ivan Hlinka, the under 18 showcase event that they have hosted each summer since 1991. A big part of that victory was Ostap Safin who was used in all situations, and put up three goals and four points at the event. He has estabilished himself as a staple of Czech teams, also playing at the 2017 IIHF Under 18s, the Five Nations, and the 2015-16 World Under 17 Hockey Challenge. His four points in five games at the U18 showed that his Hlinka performance was no fluke.
Pick 44 - Marcus Davidsson, Djugardens, SHL
Height 6’0 — Weight 192 lbs – C/LW
Davidsson is more quick than fast. He has good speed, but a great first step and excellent acceleration means that he reaches that top end speed extremely quickly, and is very effective in short races to loose pucks. He moves quickly through turns, and accelerates with excellent crossovers. His agility and edge work are top notch and make him able to move quickly laterally both when attacking and in protecting his own zone. Davidsson has a strong lower body, and has good balance. He uses this well in fighting for position in front of the net, as well as fighting through checks, hooks and holds. He is also good in winning battles along the boards and establishing position in front of the net.

Flames round 3
Pick 85 - Cale Fleury, Kootenay Ice, WHL
Height 6’1.5″ — Weight 199 lbs – D
The younger brother of Carolina Hurricanes prospect Haydn Fleury, Cale Fleury is a legitimate prospect in his own right. He has been a key player for the Kootenay Ice over the last three years, and was even named team captain after the trade deadline this year. During his three years with the Ice, they have been a rebuilding team, and so the stat lines may not fully reflect Fleury’s individual talent. He scored 11 goals and 38 points in 70 games this year. He finished fourth in team scoring (second amongst players who finished the season with Kootenay).

Flames round 4
Pick 98 - Santeri Virtanen, TPS U-20, Jr. A SM-Liiga
Height 6’2″ — Weight 194 lbs – C/LW
Santeri Virtanen plays a power forward style of game. He is good at getting to the front of net, both with and without the puck. When he gets the puck in close, he has the soft hands to finish in tight to the net. Without the puck, he establishes position, screens goaltenders and generally causes havoc. He can tip in pucks, and also pounce on rebounds. Virtanen also has a good wrist shot that he can fire from further out. It is heavy and has good accuracy, as well as featuring a quick release.

Pick 99 – Cayden Primeau, USA U18 – Lincoln Stars
Height 6’3″ — Weight 179 lbs – G
The son of former NHLer Keith Primeau, Lincoln Stars goalie Cayden Primeau remains a top prospect despite struggling through the early stages of his first USHL campaign. His intangibles (size) and athleticism continue to attract the attention of NHL brass.
Competing in a league where it generally takes one or two seasons for goalies to make their mark, Primeau, at times, was over aggressive, which often led him to take bad angles on shot attempts. He finished the 2016-17 USHL regular season with a 14-11-0-1 record, 3.16 goals-against average and .895 save percentage. He rebounded and enjoyed a stronger second half.

Pick 102 – Tylor Inamato, USNTDB Juniors – USAU18
Height 6’2″ — Weight 196 lbs – D
Inamoto is an interesting type of hybrid defender. He skates very well and has a degree of mobility that’s really impressive considering his nearly 200-pound frame. His skating ability makes his defensive positioning seemingly effortless and second-nature. While he moves really well, the other side of the hybrid style he displays is a commitment to engaging the opposition physically. In other words? Inamoto seems to love crashing into oncoming forwards. At times that’s gotten him into a bit of trouble, as he’s occasionally taken some silly penalties as a result of engaging so frequently. That said, Inamoto developed a well-earned reputation as a player that makes opponents battle for their offensive time. It’s easy to imagine his style of play translating well into the pro game, particularly when it comes to playoff time where territory is at a premium.

Pick 111 – Alexander Volkov, SKA St. Petersburg
Height 6’1″ — Weight 192 lbs – LW
Ranked #84 by Future Considerations
Ranked #27 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)

Pick 113 – Adam Thilander, Skellefteå AIK J20 - OHL Height 6’0″ — Weight 190 lbs – D
This past season, Thilander was the highest scoring defenseman on North Bay, and the 4th highest scoring skater on the team with 35 points in 64 games. Perhaps a good thing for the Devils, he shot 125 times over the course of the season, which comes out to 1.95 per game. For a team that is starved for offense like New Jersey is, getting someone who is not afraid to shoot and who has put up points in his career would certainly be a bonus.
However, it is also worth noting that North Bay was a particularly bad team this year. Of the 20 teams in the OHL, a whopping 16 make the playoffs. The Battalion? Nope, missed out. They ended up 9th in the Eastern Division, with a 24-38-4-2 record. They had a -69 goal differential, with 192 goals for and 261 goals against. So while Thilander was producing quality points, he was doing so on a team that was regularly getting beat, so the points he produced were not necessarily gotten in pressure-packed situations.

Flames round 5
Pick 135 – Olle Erickson-Ek, Färjestad BK J20
Height 6’2″ — Weight 187 lbs – G
2013-2014 TV-Pucken Best GAA (0.94)
TV-Pucken Best SVS% (.945) 2014-2015
TV-Pucken Best Goaltender TV-Pucken Gold Medal 2015-2016
U17 WHC Bronze Medal U18 WJC Silver Medal 2016-2017
J20 SuperElit (Forts) Best GAA (1.92)

Pick 141 – Jacob Paquette, Kingston OHL
Height 6’3″ — Weight 207 lbs – D
He’s a big defenceman who protects his blue-line. He’s difficult to beat one-on-one off the rush using his smarts, active stick, positioning and ability to close gaps quickly, not to mention a “have no fear mentality” to the physical game. And he can eat up big minutes. He plays calm under pressure and is very good when the opposition is on the forecheck

Last edited by Cheese; 06-17-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

New York Islanders Draft Review

The Isles never had any intention of making more than one pick in this draft, and we wanted that pick to be a first-rounder. Entering the day, we had ten picks: 1 second-rounder (46), 1 third-rounder (80), 5 fourth-rounders (86, 88, 89, 106, and 112), and 3 fifth-rounders (124, 128, and 132).

We eventually made one selection, at 26th-overall.

How did we get there? Let's take a look.

TRADES

Trade I:

To the Tampa Bay Lightning:

Michael Frolik

To the New York Islanders:

26th-overall
2018 3rd
2018 3rd

This trade was a no-brainer for me. I acquired Frolik a few weeks ago for the 45th pick, so to flip him and gain 19 spots was incredible. The thirds were gravy.

Trade II:

To the New Jersey Devils:

86th-overall
88th-overall
89th-overall
106th-overall
112th-overall

$1.1 million in 2017-18

This was... really nice, since I didn't want those picks and I managed to get $1.1 million when everybody else was offering $500k for all of my picks.

Trade III:

To the Philadelphia Flyers:

46th-overall
2018 2nd

Michael Grabner

I got a higher-scoring, cheaper Frolik replacement for a low price. I like it!

Trade IV:

To the Detroit Red Wings:

80th-overall
124th-overall
128th-overall
132nd-overall
2018 3rd
2018 3rd

Jordan Martinook

One of Arizona's few good players, Martinook will sit in the AHL this year as he hopefully continues to improve. I needed to get rid of the picks.

OUR PICK

With the 26th pick, the Isles picked Kole Lind, a WHL right winger playing for the Kelowna Rockets. Last year, Lind scored 30 goals and added 57 assists for 87 points in 70 games. He's projected to be a first in the teens this year, so I feel like I got good value here. He becomes my second-best prospect right away, coming in behind defenseman Paul LaDue.

Here's my team, now:

Thomas Vanek - Frans Nielsen - Radim Vrbata
Michael Grabner - Derick Brassard - Jonathan Marchessault
Teuvo Teravainen - Conor Sheary - Lee Stempniak
Leo Komarov - Derek Ryan - Bryan Rust
Tom Pyatt

Morgan Rielly - Adam Larsson
Paul Martin - Josh Manson
Chris Wideman - Thomas Hickey
Kevan Miller

Craig Anderson
Chad Johnson

Last edited by TheScorpion; 06-17-2017 at 08:16 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flyers went into the draft with 2 picks. We came extremely close to having a couple more with a Benn deal, but that never materialized and Benn may very well stick with the Flyers this season to mentor young Laine.

Waiting until our turn was fun but we spiced it up by selling Grabner to the Isles.
I was actually surprised there wasn't more interest in Grabner. 29, but due for a decent re-rate and he's dirt cheap. We had 2 previous offers that included a 2nd. Getting 2 x 2nds for him was even better, so we happily pulled the trigger,

At 46, we chose Josh Brook
To be 100% honest - I didn't look into this guy and knew little about him. But a quick Google search turned up an article with:
Quote:
"Ranked 50th among North American skaters, Brook has the poor luck to be coming of draft age at the same time as several blueliners with borderline elite attributes. While Brook may lack the flash of some of his counterparts, his steak is good enough that he doesn’t need to rely on sizzle."
The steak analogy was enough to sell me.

We had an idea of a few players we wanted (and thought would be available) at 53. There were a couple of picks we didn't anticipate so early, and we were happy to grab Stelio Mattheos. Mostly because of his obvious hockey name.

At 105, we chose Macauley Carson. He had a decent year with our off-the-grid 2016 pick, Dmitry Sokolov and we're hoping they both find success in the NHL so it can then translate, as line mates, here in the sim.

Twas a fun event with a quite a few laughs. Thanks again to all behind the scenes making it happen.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Chicago entered the draft without a first, but a handful of 2nds and 3rds. The goal was to target high skill players and re-stock an ECHL team that will see six graduating to the AHL.

Round 2
31st overall: Jason Robertson
For my first selection it was a matter of waiting to see who fell out of the first round. Robertson has lethal offensive capabilities and is a welcome addition to the Hawks. Hopefully he is picked in the first round next weekend to a team that gives him time to develop.

32nd overall: Filip Chytil
Chytil had been a targeted player for me for weeks. After reading about his play and quiet rise up some mock drafts as a potential sleeper pick in the first round, I had originally hoped he would be around at 47. When Bob McKenzie's list was leaked and Chytil was listed at 31, I decided to take him with 32. Highly skilled, his measurements at the combine revealed his size (6'2", 195lbs) where he had been thought of as small and slight previously.

47th overall: Joni Ikonen
For this pick it was a another instance of waiting to see would fall to me. Pretty much every pick from 33 to 46 was a guy that I had interest in, but I was happy to see Ikonen available at 47. Another prospect I'm hoping may sneak into the first round next Friday, Ikonen doesn't have size, but definitely has skill. This pick also allowed me to finally get some measure of revenge on Jiri for consistently selecting the prospect I want one spot before me.

51st overall: Johah Gadjovich
After taking a couple smaller, skilled guys I mixed things up a bit and took the hulking Gadjovich. Played well with Suzuki in Owen Sound this year, but it remains to be seen if Gadjovich is simply a Chucko to Suzuki's Zajac or if the big guy can play on his own. I considered Antoine Morand here, but thought I would be able to get him at 56.

56th overall: Jake Leschyshyn
With targeted prospects Morand and Heponiemi being selected, I opted for NHL bloodlines in Leschyshyn. I'm hoping that being buried behind Steel and Brooks limited his minutes and PP time and with them gone, Leschyshyn can move to the top line.

Round 3
61st overall: Scott Reedy
In my prep for the draft I consistently read about NDTP prospects that were good, but not great and similarly skilled. Reedy may not have the offensive skill as Norris or Mismash, but he is solid defensively and will likely play in the NHL. Hopefully a couple years in college help him to find his offense.

70th overall: Lukas Elvenes
Back to picking small Eurpean skilled players. I had read that Elvenes had been identified as under-rated so much that he was starting to be considered over-rated. Another highly skilled player that will likely need at least 2-3 years before he is considered for an NHL spot.

83rd overall: Dmitri Samorukov
This pick was essentially made for me as guys that I had identified kept getting picked leaving Samorukov. He's got size and some skill and took a while to adjust to the OHL which may have hurt his rankings. Hopefully he continues to improve and make this pick look smart.

Round 4
103rd overall: Mikey Anderson
Pickings started to get pretty slim by this point for me. I hoped that Tyszka would fall to 103, but when Nashville got him at 94, it was a matter of attempting to maximize potential. Anderson is a solid defensive prospect that will likely spend 4 years in college. We'll see how he develops.

Round 5
130th overall: Patrik Hrehorcak
A dart on the board. Scrambling a bit after going on a food run, I attempted to find someone that hasn't been picked and had some skill. Hrehorcak has skill, but is small, and will likely never come over to North America. If he surprises and has a career, I'll tell everyone I targeted him like the Red Wings and Datsyuk years ago.

Overall, I'm pleased with my draft. Got three guys I really like (Robertson, Chytil, Ikonen) and four more that have potential (Gadjovich, Leschyshyn, Reedy, and Elvenes) depending on where they get drafted next weekend.

Last edited by Tilley; 06-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

This was a fun draft for me and I feel I got some valuable assets. I went with the “BPA” approach and didn’t focus necessarily on positions as I do lack some top notch prospects. Overall happy with the players I got.

Started off the draft with a trade with the Red Wings. We acquired the 27 and 64 for the 35 and a 2nd next year. The 2nd next year is tough to lose, but I wanted to get into the 1st round because I wanted more higher end prospects.

27th OV pick, we select Nicolas Hague. I’m surprised he dropped this low, he seems to be in the low 20’s in most draft rankings and I think there is a good chance he ends up there in the NHL draft too. He’s got good size, and he had decent numbers stats wise for a guy who’s more of a physical, defensive player. Very happy with this selection.

58th OV pick, we select Ivan Lodnia. He managed to be a very good player on an already stacked Erie team with already drafted players like Strome, Debrincat, Raddysh, Foegele, Cirelli etc etc and he was a versatile player in their lineup who scored the key goal in the OHL playoff victory game. Surprised he fell this far too.

60th OV pick, we select Mackenzie Entwistle. He’s more of a safe pick. He doesn’t have a super high ceiling, but scouts said he’s a very capable bottom 6 guy, and every team needs those. Not the highest stats, but nonetheless I feel a good pick.

64th OV pick, Markus Phillips, a guy who is mid 40s in most rankings, had a very good season on what should be a stacked Owen Sound team next season. Played on the top pairing with Valimaki in the CHL Top Prospects Game, a two way defender, good skater and hockey IQ.

76th OV pick, Stuart Skinner. I wanted to pick up a goalie prospect in this draft and Skinner was near the top of my list. Starting goaltender for the Lethbridge Hurricanes, good size and good lateral movement, however lets in some squeakers here and there. I think he’s got some real good potential.

79th OV pick, Robin Salo, played in the Finnish league this season with men twice his age, considered a solid, well built defenseman. I’ve seen him in the early 2nd and late 3rd rounds in some rankings, but I’m hoping he can develop into a good defenseman and get selected in the 2nd round.

Overall, happy with my selections. No big names, but all players I thought would go higher and all guys who got good shots at making the show. Expecting these guys to go highish in the draft and expecting them to have bigger and better season at their various teams next season!
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting but tough draft this year, I had the scouting rankings, Craig Button's top 100 players and the hockey news magazine.

I made a list and followed it very closely....

Goal this year, draft lots of players hope I get lucky...

23. Pierre-Olivier Joseph (NHL Coyotes draft 23) -- wow
74. Cameron Crotty (NHL draft 82)
75. Noel Hoefenmayer (NHL draft 108)
90. Jonas Rondbjerg (NHL draft 65)
118. Sebastian Walfridsson - (NHL draft 151)
121. Clayton Phillips (NHL draft 93)
136. David Noel - (NHL draft 130)

116. Antoine Crete-Belzile not drafted will be released
127. Finn Evans not drafted will be released

Last edited by flambers; 06-24-2017 at 12:34 PM.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #9
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ended up with a lot more picks than I was expecting to pick, seeing the actual results of the NHL to what I drafted in the CPHL draft I am happy with how it went down. Only 3 of the 12 picks I had were not drafted into the NHL, and most of the picks were in the ballpark of where they got picked in the NHL.

I had no real strategy other than quick research with TSN/NHL lists

17 - Cal Foote - 14 TB
35 - Grant MisMash - 61 NSH
39 - Jesper Boqvist - 36 NJD
62 - Maxim Zhukov - 96 VG
80 - Nick Henry - 94 COL
96 - Artyom Minulin - Not Drafted
109 - Skyler McKenzie - 198 WPG
124 - Kyle Olson - 122 ANA
128 - Jordan Bellerive - Not Drafted
131 - Joel Teasdale - Not Drafted
132 - Bryce Misley - 116 MIN
134 - Nick Campoli - 158 VG
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan6 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
This was a fun draft for me and I feel I got some valuable assets. I went with the “BPA” approach and didn’t focus necessarily on positions as I do lack some top notch prospects. Overall happy with the players I got.

Started off the draft with a trade with the Red Wings. We acquired the 27 and 64 for the 35 and a 2nd next year. The 2nd next year is tough to lose, but I wanted to get into the 1st round because I wanted more higher end prospects.

27th OV pick, we select Nicolas Hague. I’m surprised he dropped this low, he seems to be in the low 20’s in most draft rankings and I think there is a good chance he ends up there in the NHL draft too. He’s got good size, and he had decent numbers stats wise for a guy who’s more of a physical, defensive player. Very happy with this selection.

58th OV pick, we select Ivan Lodnia. He managed to be a very good player on an already stacked Erie team with already drafted players like Strome, Debrincat, Raddysh, Foegele, Cirelli etc etc and he was a versatile player in their lineup who scored the key goal in the OHL playoff victory game. Surprised he fell this far too.

60th OV pick, we select Mackenzie Entwistle. He’s more of a safe pick. He doesn’t have a super high ceiling, but scouts said he’s a very capable bottom 6 guy, and every team needs those. Not the highest stats, but nonetheless I feel a good pick.

64th OV pick, Markus Phillips, a guy who is mid 40s in most rankings, had a very good season on what should be a stacked Owen Sound team next season. Played on the top pairing with Valimaki in the CHL Top Prospects Game, a two way defender, good skater and hockey IQ.

76th OV pick, Stuart Skinner. I wanted to pick up a goalie prospect in this draft and Skinner was near the top of my list. Starting goaltender for the Lethbridge Hurricanes, good size and good lateral movement, however lets in some squeakers here and there. I think he’s got some real good potential.

79th OV pick, Robin Salo, played in the Finnish league this season with men twice his age, considered a solid, well built defenseman. I’ve seen him in the early 2nd and late 3rd rounds in some rankings, but I’m hoping he can develop into a good defenseman and get selected in the 2nd round.

Overall, happy with my selections. No big names, but all players I thought would go higher and all guys who got good shots at making the show. Expecting these guys to go highish in the draft and expecting them to have bigger and better season at their various teams next season!
Hague- 27 CPHL- 34 NHL (VGK)
Lodnia- 58 CPHL- 85 NHL (MIN)
Entwistle- 60 CPHL- 69 NHL (ARI)
Phillips- 64 CPHL- 118 NHL (LA)
Skinner- 76 CPHL- 78 NHL (EDM)
Salo- 79 CPHL- 46 NHL (NYI)

Big jumpers:
Salo
Roughly same spot:
Skinner
Slight droppers:
Hague
Entwistle
Big droppers:
Lodnia
Phillips
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

25. Issac Ratcliffe (35) -10
49. Alex Formenton (47) +2
54. Kirill Slepets (UNDRAFTED)
78. Luke Martin (52) +26
110. Kasper Kotkansalo (71) +39
114. Fabian Zetterlund (63) +51
115. Nat Knoepke (UNDRAFTED)
119. Ivan Kosorenkov (UNDRAFTED)
129. Jakub Sirota (UNDRAFTED)
138. Daniil Tarasov (86) +52

Overall pretty disappointing draft. I traded down from 33 to get 49 and 54 thinking it was going to be good value and then the guy I take at 54 goes undrafted. My plan was to take Oettinger at 33 but took a chance hoping he might fall to 49 but looking back I should have kept that pick and taken him. Some of my later picks did really well but some of them went undrafted.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

4. Cal Makar (4) -
7. Casey Middlestadt (8) -1
8. Elias Petter son (5) +3
14. Owen Tippet (10) +5
15. Michael Rasmussen (9) +6
19. Ryan Poehling (25) -6
28. Josh Norris (19) +9
41 Henri Jokiharju (29) +12
43. JA Dolan (41) +2
48 - Ukko-Pekka Luukknem (54) +6

Overall good results. Got five guys in the top 10 and a mid second guy up to the first
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
4. Cal Makar (4) -
7. Casey Middlestadt (8) -1
8. Elias Petter son (5) +3
14. Owen Tippet (10) +5
15. Michael Rasmussen (9) +6
19. Ryan Poehling (25) -6
28. Josh Norris (19) +9
41 Henri Jokiharju (29) +12
43. JA Dolan (41) +2
48 - Ukko-Pekka Luukknem (54) +6

Overall good results. Got five guys in the top 10 and a mid second guy up to the first
Shocker you did well Grant
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
I wanna be like Miikka
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames should hire grant
I wanna be like Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #15
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Devils:
We got rid of our two firsts and had a bunch of darts to throw in the 3rd-5th rounds. A quick look at a couple draft lists and we found some players we liked, unfortunately most went before our picks so we improvised and drafted the following;

77. Filip Westerlund, NHL 44 Coyotes +33

86. Ivan Chekhovich, NHL 212 Sharks -126

88. Tommy Miller, NHL not drafted

106. Jack Rathbone, NHL 95 Canucks +11

112. Gustav Lindstrom, NHL 38 Wings +74

142. Jack Badini (last pick after we fell asleep and missed a pick) NHL 91 Ducks +51

Two Misses, two great results (2nd rounders) and overall a pretty good draft.

Last edited by 3thirty; 06-24-2017 at 09:25 PM.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #16
Moshpit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Habs had eight picks in the first 44. We tried to trade for a roster player, but it didn't work out. Instead, we made a deal with Cheese to move up to 6. Steep price of 15, 20, 40 & 44, but we didnt have much room in echl, and we wanted to get a player we really liked.

5. Miro Heiskanen (3) +2
6. Cody Glass (6) -
30. Connor Timmons (32) -2
34. Morgan Frost (27) +7
36. Urho Vaakanainen (18) +18
78. Traded for 2018 3rd
87. Zack Gallant (83)

Overall, we are happy with the draft. We either were taking Makar or Heiskanen at 5. With Makar gone, it was the Finn.

At 6, it was between Mittelstadt or Glass. Everything we read had the American all over the board- high as 4, low as 12 and many different opinions. Glass was the riser all season and had more of a consistent review from scouts.

30, 34 & 36 we took the wait and see approach and didn't target anyone. We had a few on our list like Robertson & Chytil who went, but we happened to get Frost and Vaakanainen- who went in the 1st round and Timmins- who went 1st in the 2nd round.

Zack Gallant was my shot in the dark. I didn't prepare at this part of the draft, and just went with a list and took best available. However, after the draft I learned he has ties to NL- which is great and will be fun to follow.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Moshpit; 06-25-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moshpit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #17
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pens Draft Review:

3rd ( 11th overall NHL) - Gabe Vilardi - This was a tough pick, lots of choices here and although I did like the two top defensemen in this draft I wanted to go to the forward I liked the best. I read about the potential skating issues with Vilardi, but after watching him in the Memorial Cup and reading the scouting reports I was quite happy to select him even after watching him slide in the NHL draft. I think he will be a good fit with the Kings.

11th (24th overall NHL)- Kristain Vesalainen - Another guy who slipped in the NHL. Vesalainen was kind of all over the rankings but I liked his size and skating and all around game. I think Winnipeg is a good fit for him and hopefully he can find himself on a line with Ehlers or Laine down the road.

16th (20th overall NHL) Robert Thomas - Underrated player with a great all around game. Hopefully he turns out to be another London Knight Gem.

55th Aleksi Heponeimi (40th overall in NHL) -Undersized player but has big offensive upside. Thought he was well worth the gamble in this spot.

59th Ian Mitchell (57th overall in NHL) - We wanted a D here after going with 4 straight forwards. Mitchell was the next guy on my list so was the choice here.

69th Mario Ferraro (49th overall in NHL) - Great skater, offensive upside. Decided to grab another D at this spot.

93rd Lane Zablocki (79th overall in NHL ) - Seemed to have solid upside and a cool name so I grabbed him.

108th Matthew Villalta (72nd overall in NHL) - Seemed like a good time to grab a goalie and Villalta was the next guy on my list

Overall we are pleased although all out 1st rounders slipped somewhat in the NHL all the rest of our picks turned into solid value. I am curious to follow Vilardi and Vesalainen and see how they compare to players drafted ahead of them.

Goffie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goffie For This Useful Post: