Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
flizzenflozz
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Golf in Phoenix

Reaching out to see if anyone can recommend any courses to play for when I go next week. I've played Troon and copper canyon before so looking for some other nice ones. I'll be staying near Glendale so the preference will be for ones near there but can drive somewhere further if it's worth it.
Also, Anyone know of a site to find any good golf deals down there? I think I used golfnow.com before.

Thanks in advance
flizzenflozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many great courses there you'll get lots of options I am sure.

Last time I went we really enjoyed We-Ko-Pa. Not that the rest were crap or anything, but that one stood out.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I've golfed and stayed at We-Ko-Pa a few times. Great courses.

Last month we did The Boulders and we are heading back down to Talking Stick in the new year. I was in Tucson for the first time in years just 2 weeks ago. We stayed and played at Ventana Canyon. If you are ever in the area, I'd recommend it. The staff there are unbelievable.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quintero - a bit NW of town is phenomenal. Incredible desert setting.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
daredevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You need to give more detail as far as what you are looking for and what price point. There's just so many great options, especially if you are willing to drive a bit.
Sadly if you are staying in Glendale, you will likely be driving to get to most of the good ones.
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You're gunna get a behemoth range of courses with a wide-open question like that.

Phoenix proper or do you also mean surrounding hoods?
What type of golf is your flavor?
Price point?
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flizzenflozz View Post
Reaching out to see if anyone can recommend any courses to play for when I go next week. I've played Troon and copper canyon before so looking for some other nice ones. I'll be staying near Glendale so the preference will be for ones near there but can drive somewhere further if it's worth it.
Also, Anyone know of a site to find any good golf deals down there? I think I used golfnow.com before.

Thanks in advance
If you ok taking a bit of a drive, I'd play Wickenberg Ranch. It's probably around $100.

Verrado golf club in Buckeye is superb. Should be a little less than $100.

Grand Canyon University Course is really nice as well. 2nd year on a redesign. It's a bargain at $50.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #8
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Eagle mountian

One of the top courses I have ever played.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Quintero - a bit NW of town is phenomenal. Incredible desert setting.
Seconded. Quintero is gorgeous and really nice to play. Awesome cart paths too.

Gold Canyon is beautiful, right by Superstition mountain (which is great for hiking, btw).

Raven is another gorgeous course, different from your usual Phoenix landscape.

The Boulders is a beautiful course, worth the drive.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We Ko Pa is quite the trek from Glendale, but if the OP is willing to do it, it's a nice course.

I really like some of the courses in North Scottsdale. The TPC is pretty good, expensive for what you get as the course is just above average but you are paying for the name when you go there.

I really like Greyhawk, its been a long time since I golfed it but it stuck out in my head as a really nice track.

As another poster has mentioned, Eagle Mountain is really nice. Beautiful views of the Valley and it's pretty forgiving with wider fairways.

There's a really nice track in Mesa called Las Sendas. It's a trek but its hands down one of the best I've played in the valley. It's rated one of the most difficult courses in the phx area but its another one of those that has great views of the city and is in great shape.

Have fun!!
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scoopdogg For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
flamesgirl18
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Boulders, Troon North, Eagle Mountain, We-Ko-Pa are all great courses. The Dinosaur Mountain course at Gold Canyon was a bit of a drive but was surprisingly great.
flamesgirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgirl18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
flizzenflozz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Eagle mountian

One of the top courses I have ever played.
Booked that and the Grand Canyon uni course!

Thanks for the tips
flizzenflozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #13
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Las Sendas is not worth the money.

There are 20 better courses in the valley.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #14
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, there isn't much good golf in around Glendale. You're likely going to have to make a trek to get to anywhere good. You're also going to be paying through the nose right now. You're probably at the 2nd most expensive green fee period in Arizona. Some really good suggestions so far. Based on where you are I'd recommend the following.

Wickenburg Ranch Golf Club (1.25 hr) - A new gem I just recently discovered myself. Out in Wickenburg, but a truly spectacular round of golf awaits. A real treat.
Los Caballeros Golf Club (1.1 hr) - Haven't played this in a while, but a course that was incredible a few years ago.
Verrado Golf Club (35 min) - A course way out on the west end, but one of those course you come off of and want to head right back out and play it again.
Legacy Golf Resort (20 min) - This is a standard play for anyone coming to Phoenix. Great golf in the middle of town with conditions that never disappoint.
The Raven (20 min) - Right across 32nd from Legacy a very cool course with the flavor of the Carolinas.
ASU Karsten (30 min) - Play it before it gets buried. Future home of the new Coyotes arena.
Legend Trail Golf Club (55 min) - the least expensive of the top Scottsdale courses.
Whirlwind Golf Club (45 min) - 36 holes of great golf out on reservation land. I prefer Devil's Claw, but Cattail is damn good too.
Southern Dunes Golf Club (1 hr) - One of the top courses in Arizona. Tons of bunkers. Must play.
Gold Canyon Golf Resort (1 hr) - 36 holes. Dinosaur Mountain is spectacular, but Sidewinder is arguably the better course. Dino is probably the best all around course in the state. Calgary owned as well.
Quintero Golf Club (50 min) - Another great course, but bitchin' tough. Bring extra balls, especially if windy.
Eagle Mountain (45 min) - One of my favorites. A great track with a lot of spectacular views.
Any questions about each, ask away.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #15
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quintero is fantastic - it's a must.

Another fantastic track is Southern Dunes - it's a golfer's golf course. And you can get decent rates.

Is anyone in your group a resident? (that would help with the pricing for Quintero).
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #16
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any suggestions for Mesa area?
Old 12-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #17
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Any suggestions for Mesa area?
Depending where you are in Mesa you can access some pretty nice courses locally. I'll break them down by east/west, the division being Val Vista.

In east Mesa, Superstition Springs is a muni-quality course, but are good a layout and a good value for your dollar. You have Las Sendas and Red Mountain Ranch both in NE Mesa. Both are interesting courses that both feature some blind shots. Not a fan of that myself, but some like that sort of thing. Given my druthers I'd play Red Mountain Ranch over Las Sendas. If you want to support both the local and Canadian economy you'll want to play Las Sendas. The McBean brothers own it. You could also swing down Power and play Power Ranch. Fun course with real subtle greens that will steal your lunch money on you.

The best in the area is Gold Canyon. You're talking a 20 minute drive. Dinosaur Mountain is the one to play if you want an unforgettable experience. It is a picture postcard off every tee box. Just remember that the first four holes and the final five (14-18) are the original nine and the greens are evil as hell. Everything breaks away from the mountain, and hard. Once you get on the stretch 5-13 you'll have a chance to make up strokes lost on those first four holes. My recommendation is to step up a tee box and enjoy the round. Again, this is owned by Calgary money.

In west Mesa you have some different options. You can go play Dobson Ranch, which is a muni, but a good layout. City of Mesa usually keeps it in good shape. From there you can head down the road and play Ocotillo. It's got water on 24 of 27 holes, so it is unique in that regard. You are also close enough to go play ASU Karsten, which is a great track. The nice part about west Mesa is it is close enough to easily go access The Raven and Legacy. Both are great golf course and you'll enjoy both. Also close enough to play is Whirl Wind. Again, 36 holes of great golf. The tournament course that the Gateway used was Cat tail, but I prefer Devil's Claw.

For a nice side trip you can take the Beeline (87 or Country Club) and go up through the backside of Fountain Hills. There you have access to We Ko Pa. Some people love them, but I've never been a fan. Saguaro is a Crenshaw design and is the goofier of the two. Cholla is the original and most playbale of the two. Both layouts are kind of tricked up. You can also hit Eagle Mountain or Sunridge Canyon, both of which are great courses that hit the sweet spot for cost versus value.

That should keep you entertained. Did mention I offer caddy services on weekends.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #18
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
For a nice side trip you can take the Beeline (87 or Country Club) and go up through the backside of Fountain Hills. There you have access to We Ko Pa. Some people love them, but I've never been a fan. Saguaro is a Crenshaw design and is the goofier of the two. Cholla is the original and most playbale of the two. Both layouts are kind of tricked up. That should keep you entertained. Did mention I offer caddy services on weekends.
Yeah, I've played We-Ko-pa once, Saguaro, I'm sure. The great thing was it was in July and it's one of the only courses that has water in the summer. I liked it.

Is your caddy services the usual 10% of winnings? lol.
any rate thanks for the other info, will be there first week of Jan, and will probably get in a few games.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #19
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

re ASU Karsten... it used to be a nice track, when they kept the greens super fast and smooth, but I have found it to be a dump the last couple times.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #20
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Somewhat unrelated..

Top Golf is like a driving range on steroids. They have one in Gilbert and Scottsdale.

Great night out
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote