Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #221
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course it's not Halal, why would it be?

Asked around and I guess using this new supplier costs 3x as much as their old one. Probably includes transportation costs too. That's a lot of dough
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #222
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

Asked around and I guess using this new supplier costs 3x as much as their old one. Probably includes transportation costs too. That's a lot of dough
Great - Earls will still stuck and be even more expensive. That time I went to Earls in 2007 was sure memorable though.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #223
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

#moodatah
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #224
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a lineup at Earls on 4th street last night, just like always.

Maybe this has been covered, but I don't really buy the whole "our clientele wants their food to be from certain places, and we are just obliging them" line.

It just doesn't fit the Earl's "crowd". The kids milling around outside while their parents waited inside don't care. The suit/no tie afterwork crowd don't care. The people who go there before Flames games don't care. They aren't foodies. They aren't animal activists. They are people looking for a pretty mindless, easy, not-too-expensive dinner.

The Earls clientele is a lot more concerned about how far they had to travel to get there, as opposed to how far the cow travelled.

This isn't a hack on anyone either. I'm the same way.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #225
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The end of $2 Margarita Monday's was the end of Earls for me.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #226
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
There was a lineup at Earls on 4th street last night, just like always.

Maybe this has been covered, but I don't really buy the whole "our clientele wants their food to be from certain places, and we are just obliging them" line.

It just doesn't fit the Earl's "crowd". The kids milling around outside while their parents waited inside don't care. The suit/no tie afterwork crowd don't care. The people who go there before Flames games don't care. They aren't foodies. They aren't animal activists. They are people looking for a pretty mindless, easy, not-too-expensive dinner.

The Earls clientele is a lot more concerned about how far they had to travel to get there, as opposed to how far the cow travelled.

This isn't a hack on anyone either. I'm the same way.
Yeah this move isn't really meant to appeal to too many Albertans imo. The restaurants here will continue to be busy regardless, their legacy is pretty well set. This 'humane' crap is to support their US and Eastern Canada expansion
Old 04-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #227
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah this move isn't really meant to appeal to too many Albertans imo. The restaurants here will continue to be busy regardless, their legacy is pretty well set. This 'humane' crap is to support their US and Eastern Canada expansion
Earls customers (and restaurants) are pretty much the same everywhere I'm sure. I don't think it's something they care about.

I guess my point, which I didn't make because I didn't actually say it, is that the "our customers demand it" is just a cover for something else.

Probably a cover for "we'll make more money doing it this way", which is generally why large corporations do things.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #228
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Earls customers (and restaurants) are pretty much the same everywhere I'm sure. I don't think it's something they care about.

I guess my point, which I didn't make because I didn't actually say it, is that the "our customers demand it" is just a cover for something else.

Probably a cover for "we'll make more money doing it this way", which is generally why large corporations do things.
That's what confuses me the most, this meat is way more expensive
Old 04-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #229
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's what confuses me the most, this meat is way more expensive

Does Earls even source their own stuff? I thought all of the major restaurant chains just got whatever Sysco or those distribution channels get them?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #230
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Does Earls even source their own stuff? I thought all of the major restaurant chains just got whatever Sysco or those distribution channels get them?
Sort of both. They source it themselves, but then GFS will act sort of like a middleman to handle acquiring and delivering it for them. Something like meat, Earls would tell them what they want and to go get it. For something simple, like a box of green peppers or something, they'll have their preferred brand set up but if they are out of stock or something then GFS will just automatically send them the next closest thing.

Last edited by btimbit; 04-30-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:05 PM   #231
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nevermind
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #232
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Either this website is right or Creekside doesn't butcher all beef in the halal tradition.

Muslim Eater

Apparently, all their beef is butchered in the same manner. Customers pay extra to have it "certified."

Last edited by Reaper; 04-30-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #233
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Either this website is right or Creekside doesn't butcher all beef in the halal tradition.

Muslim Eater

Apparently, all their beef is butchered in the same manner. Customers pay extra to have it "certified."
My understanding is it costs extra to have it slaughtered halal. Doesn't make sense to slaughter it halal and then not call it halal. I could be wrong though
Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 PM   #234
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Not like Earls could ever cook a steak properly anyway.
I don't know if it was just random luck but I had a steak at Joey's in toronto recently and it was pretty good. Better than the steak I had at Keg a few days later actually. I was surprised given the Keg is a steakhouse (admittedly not a great one).
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #235
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I don't know if it was just random luck but I had a steak at Joey's in toronto recently and it was pretty good. Better than the steak I had at Keg a few days later actually. I was surprised given the Keg is a steakhouse (admittedly not a great one).
Don't think I've ever been disappointed leaving a Joeys
Old 04-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #236
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My understanding is it costs extra to have it slaughtered halal. Doesn't make sense to slaughter it halal and then not call it halal. I could be wrong though
The part that costs more is having someone whisper Islamic verses in the cows' ears. Not having to utilize a bolt stunner means being able to pay less for employees. Halal slaughter methods are cheaper. By using the same process for all means they can make a given slaughter Halal by having a dead cow whisperer work at certain times.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:40 PM   #237
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yup, we'd drink the big schooners of beer and do "pirate cheers" usually leading to breaking schooners at some point in the night. Made a lot of new friends, met some ladies, memories that will always stick with me. All in a suburban strip mall BP's.
Alright, I was cool at first, but lets not get out of hand here.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schooner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2016, 11:56 PM   #238
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The part that costs more is having someone whisper Islamic verses in the cows' ears. Not having to utilize a bolt stunner means being able to pay less for employees. Halal slaughter methods are cheaper. By using the same process for all means they can make a given slaughter Halal by having a dead cow whisperer work at certain times.
Yup looked into it and you're bang on. They use the same slaughter method for all but only have the prayers for some.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #239
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Quote:
Don't think I've ever been disappointed leaving a Joeys
+1 for Joey's. The steaks I've had at their Coquitlam location have all been excellent, but I did get a dud once at their Broadway location.

Plus I love those crispy mashed-potato tube-thingies. Yum!
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #240
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post: