Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #721
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really like most of the changes but I can't believe that we're still saddled with pages of dead icons.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #722
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I really like most of the changes but I can't believe that we're still saddled with pages of dead icons.
You could put all the dead icons into a folder before. in iOS 7, you could hide them in second pages of folders. No reason to have pages of dead icons, it's possible to get them so that they would never bother you.

Yes, you still should be able to remove them altogether, though.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #723
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
You could put all the dead icons into a folder before. in iOS 7, you could hide them in second pages of folders. No reason to have pages of dead icons, it's possible to get them so that they would never bother you.

Yes, you still should be able to remove them altogether, though.
That's not what I mean. I don't want more ways to manage icons, I want a more modern way of interacting with my phone in general.

To be fair - only Windows is close to getting this right at the moment, IMO.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #724
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I've been playing with iOS 7 for a bit. Overall I like the changes. Widgets or live icons would have been nice, but the new control and notification centers take care of that need for the most part.
Check out the clock icon - apparently the second hand moves (I forgot to check when inspecting my co-workers phone). So there is some awareness, design wise, of the need for live updating on the home screen.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #725
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Yeah I noticed the clock updating. They usually add features in beta so a live icon API isn't out of the question in the final version. I'll definitely be giving Apple my feedback.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #726
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

MacBook Air SSD benchmarked at near 800MB/s read/write.

That's fast.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #727
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can you erase apps that come in any ios (Stock app, wearther etc...)

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #728
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope
Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #729
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Nope
Thanks, don't know why but that really bugs me with the ios. Maybe next time

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #730
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mwahahaha:
http://mashable.com/2013/06/11/apple...g-siri-google/

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I wonder if they'll have a dark theme, all that white is going to kill a generation of battery improvements.
Depends on the screen. My Samsung Omnia 7 was optimized for dark themes (Super AMOLED screen), and warned that using a white theme would cause sub-par battery life. The Lumia 920 is fine with dark or white themes.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #731
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That parallax thing looks pretty awesome. I assume it could be done on Android with a live wallpaper, but I've never seen it. I don't use live wallpapers anyway.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #732
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey Apple people. I just switched my home over to Airports as I'm working on setting up an AirPlay home audio setup. I have a quick question:

I have an Airport Extreme as the main router and it has a local hostname of name.local.
I have an Airport Express which is set to extend my main wireless network from the Airport Extreme. It's hostname is name2.local

My question is, can both the airports share the same hostname of name.local?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #733
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Hey Apple people. I just switched my home over to Airports as I'm working on setting up an AirPlay home audio setup. I have a quick question:

I have an Airport Extreme as the main router and it has a local hostname of name.local.
I have an Airport Express which is set to extend my main wireless network from the Airport Extreme. It's hostname is name2.local

My question is, can both the airports share the same hostname of name.local?
No. That name corresponds to the Bonjour, or multicast DNS name for the device - it needs to resolve to a unique IP.

If you are looking to name your Airport end-points (so the names that show up in the Airplay selection list), that setting is under the Airplay section in the Airport Utility - each device can have a unique Airplay name in addition to the device name.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #734
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the past couple of weeks, someone has been trying to reset my apple ID. I've changed my password a number of times, yet it still happens. As far as I can tell, nobody has made any illegal purchases using the ID, but how do I prevent this from happening anymore?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #735
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
For the past couple of weeks, someone has been trying to reset my apple ID. I've changed my password a number of times, yet it still happens. As far as I can tell, nobody has made any illegal purchases using the ID, but how do I prevent this from happening anymore?
Is your apple ID a common name? Maybe someone thinks they are using the right email address which is there name forgetting that they set it up as something else.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #736
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Some in Canada have reported being able to set up 2-step authentication, but many (myself included) haven't seen the option to do so. I've heard rumours the "roll-out" to Canada was a mistake and they launched early accidentally. This would benefit you greatly if it were here.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #737
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Is your apple ID a common name? Maybe someone thinks they are using the right email address which is there name forgetting that they set it up as something else.
No, it is pretty rare. I've now changed my apple ID, but the problem now is when it asks for my password on my iPhone it sill uses my old email/ID. Anyone know how to change that on my phone?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #738
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have you changed it in settings? Sign out of old apple ID and signed in with the new one?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #739
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does anyone know if the new iPhone is going to be 5s or 6? Any leaked pictures or info?

Can't find anything on Google.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #740
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element55 View Post
Does anyone know if the new iPhone is going to be 5s or 6? Any leaked pictures or info?

Can't find anything on Google.
Given the history I'd be shocked if they go from 5 straight to 6. That being said, many have commented that the 's' iterations make the consumer feel like the jumps are half steps (and arguably they are). Personally I think Apple spends more time looking at their swimming pools full of money than listening to pundits who tell them what they should do.

Rumours are pretty sparse at the moment, but many are saying that plastic backs have popped up that could be the start of a less-expensive version:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone

If those are to be believed, it doesn't look like much of a physical difference size-wise.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote