Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #381
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

next years budget. Coalitions always fall apart in budget period.

It'll be interesting what happens between the Alberta NDP and the BC NDP's when they start oppossing the pipelines.

Notley needs a huge win on that file against BC or her minuscule approval rate will go into negative numbers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #382
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
does anyone think there isn't another election at some point in the next 14 months?
Will easily be in the next year.

The NDP/Greens have to make sure that every single MLA shows up for every single vote, because the Liberals will be make damn sure that they are. As soon as there are missing MLAs, it's going to be used as ammunition by the Liberals to show the coalition isn't working.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #383
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The swearing in ceremony for John Horgan to be the premier along with the new NDP government is happening right now.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #384
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christy Clark resigns as Liberal leader. So much for her claim of wanting to lead the opposition.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3632329/ch...rty-next-week/
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #385
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Christy Clark resigns as Liberal leader. So much for her claim of wanting to lead the opposition.

Maybe she genuinely did want to lead the opposition but party insiders forced her out so they could enter the next election with a more popular leader when the NDP/Green coalition inevitably fails?
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #386
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Given how precarious the balance is, would make no sense for the BC Liberals to keep Clark unless they wanted her to remain leader long term and into the next election. If they want a new leader and a fresh start, they need find one pdq.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #387
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Given how precarious the balance is, would make no sense for the BC Liberals to keep Clark unless they wanted her to remain leader long term and into the next election. If they want a new leader and a fresh start, they need find one pdq.
there are some young candidates being groomed, likely to lose in the next election but will gain public exposure for themselves and the party.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #388
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know a lot about BC politics, but the impression I got was the people hated Clark, but would be fine with the Liberals. Perhaps it won't be to hard a win if they have even an average leader next time around?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #389
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't know a lot about BC politics, but the impression I got was the people hated Clark, but would be fine with the Liberals. Perhaps it won't be to hard a win if they have even an average leader next time around?
It's really going to hinge on whether electoral reform gets passed in the next 4 years. If it doesn't and the NDP totally ruin things, then the Liberals will probably get another 15 years to ruin things their way.

Christy did leave us a nice parting gift though. ICBC rates are set to hike by up to 30% over the next two years because the Liberals have been consistently taking money out from crown corporations and putting it into the general revenue stream to create the illusion of balanced budgets, so now the NDP is scrambling to find ways to fund ICBC.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #390
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We get it. You don't like Clark or the Liberals. Good job on the pot shot. As others mentioned, maybe she did want to lead. Maybe she still does. If the party doesn't want her, then it's really not up to her. If the Liberals feel they have a better shot at the next election with someone else, then her time is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #391
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
We get it. You don't like Clark or the Liberals. Good job on the pot shot. As others mentioned, maybe she did want to lead. Maybe she still does. If the party doesn't want her, then it's really not up to her. If the Liberals feel they have a better shot at the next election with someone else, then her time is limited.
She's also resigning as an MLA. In contrast Carol James has continued to serve as an MLA for the BC NDP since getting turfed as leader almost a decade ago. Stockwell Day and Stephane Dion continued to serve their respective federal parties after losing their leadership positions, and I would be surprised if Mulcair resigns from parliament after he gets axed.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #392
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
She's also resigning as an MLA. In contrast Carol James has continued to serve as an MLA for the BC NDP since getting turfed as leader almost a decade ago. Stockwell Day and Stephane Dion continued to serve their respective federal parties after losing their leadership positions, and I would be surprised if Mulcair resigns from parliament after he gets axed.
Jim Playfair stayed as an associate coach once Mike Keenan was announced as the head coach of the Flames. Are we just announcing people that used to have higher positions, but then worked in lower positions?

Would you prefer Clark stays on as an MLA? Do you want her to continue leading her riding and being in parliament? For years many supporters of the greens and ndp wanted her out. She's out as premier and now out as an MLA. If you wanted her gone, and now she's gone, then why do you continue to point out that you are getting exactly what you want?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #393
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jim Playfair stayed as an associate coach once Mike Keenan was announced as the head coach of the Flames. Are we just announcing people that used to have higher positions, but then worked in lower positions?

Would you prefer Clark stays on as an MLA? Do you want her to continue leading her riding and being in parliament? For years many supporters of the greens and ndp wanted her out. She's out as premier and now out as an MLA. If you wanted her gone, and now she's gone, then why do you continue to point out that you are getting exactly what you want?
I think you've completely missed the point. I don't care that she stepped down. I was pointing out that it's another example of her saying one thing and then doing the opposite.

Anyways, this ends up being good news for the NDP and Greens because it now leaves the Liberals short and extra seat until the by election can be held.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #394
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thing all of the people you listed have in common is that they never actually led a government. I'm guessing financial incentives to remain as a simple sitting member aren't as strong for former governors.

Harper and Prentice instantly come to mind, but it is not an uncommon choice for a former gov't leader to quit instead of being a back-bencher. Paul Martin seems to be an exception.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #395
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you've completely missed the point. I don't care that she stepped down. I was pointing out that it's another example of her saying one thing and then doing the opposite.

Anyways, this ends up being good news for the NDP and Greens because it now leaves the Liberals short and extra seat until the by election can be held.
I'm well aware of what the point you thought was earth shattering. The result wasn't exactly as she stated. You're basically trump bringing up Hillary's emails after he won. I fail to see you bringing up Horgan and Weaver not banning corporate donations as they promised. As I said, we get it. You don't like Clark and the Liberals. Point has been made and received.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-29-2017, 01:09 AM   #396
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I would honestly be very surprised if Mulcair stays on to be honest. I would think that once his obligation to the party is over that he's going to walk away from the NDP and go into quiet retirement.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:33 AM   #397
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
The thing all of the people you listed have in common is that they never actually led a government. I'm guessing financial incentives to remain as a simple sitting member aren't as strong for former governors.

Harper and Prentice instantly come to mind, but it is not an uncommon choice for a former gov't leader to quit instead of being a back-bencher. Paul Martin seems to be an exception.
Yeah, that's fair. My argument would be that most of them were pretty evasive about their futures when the time came. Clark was pretty adamant that she was staying on. I could be wrong on this though.

Quote:
I'm well aware of what the point you thought was earth shattering. The result wasn't exactly as she stated. You're basically trump bringing up Hillary's emails after he won. I fail to see you bringing up Horgan and Weaver not banning corporate donations as they promised. As I said, we get it. You don't like Clark and the Liberals. Point has been made and received.
Seriously? You're going to come at me with a bunch of weak ass whataboutisms and ad hominems like this? You're better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would honestly be very surprised if Mulcair stays on to be honest. I would think that once his obligation to the party is over that he's going to walk away from the NDP and go into quiet retirement.
It's possible but he's still a very popular and effective parliamentarian. I don't agree with Mulcair on much but I respect the hell out of the guy. I'm hopeful that he sticks around.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #398
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I honestly just think that Mulcair was thrown under the bus by his party, and where's he going to go from there.

I like Mulcair, I would never want to put him in charge of my check book let alone the governments check book. But I respect him as an opposition leader and I think out of the other party leaders he has a higher level of integrity.

One could also argue that he pissed away any momentum that Jack Layton had gained, he was sniped by his own party which were upset with him for taking things too far to the center.

I would think that his retirement party would be attended by people that stand behind him with a sneer on their face while making knifey knifey stabby stabby gestures.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #399
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously? You're going to come at me with a bunch of weak ass whataboutisms and ad hominems like this? You're better than that. .
I'm not wrong. Trump beat Hillary and continues to harp about her emails even though he's the POTUS. That's basically what you're doing whenever Clark does anything you like, instead of just moving forward and focusing on current or future policy. I never read anything from you about when Horgan and/or Weaver don't follow through on their promises or they don't do exactly as they said they would. I don't see anything about how the ndp campaigned they'd fix things, and their solution is to come up with a plan to fix it.

Clark says she wanted to stay on. Later she, or her party, changed her/their minds. Should she stay on for a decade because she said she wanted to at one point just to satisfy opposition voters? That seems like a bad idea. Maybe she realized what life would be like as a member, and former leader, and it wasn't appealing anymore. Maybe she didn't want to be around a liberal party that didn't want her to be there. But you posting that she didn't do something she said she wanted to do, and showing that Carole James did, is childish, repetitive, and annoying.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 AM   #400
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez, what the hell are these guys doing? Does not bode well for a rational government just to start things off like this. Defamation lawsuit.

http://theprovince.com/news/bc-polit...en-the-apology

When the NDP government fired ex-Liberal leader Gordon Wilson last week, they didn’t spare the slime as they booted his butt out the door.

Premier John Horgan lambasted Wilson for wasting taxpayers’ money as the province’s “LNG Advocate,” saying there was little evidence Wilson actually did any work for his $150,000-a-year salary.

“No briefings, no reports, no memoranda,” is how Horgan summed up Wilson’s 3 1/2 years on the job.

Jobs Minister Bruce Ralston said the government did a “review” of Wilson’s work and concluded he did little “other than to cash his cheques.”

But a quick search of the government’s own Open Information website turned up a long paper trail documenting Wilson’s time in the position. A file containing Wilson’s reports to the former Liberal government during his first 15 months on the job runs 180 pages long.

“I should have had these documents in front of me before I made my comments,” Ralston told me Monday after I alerted his staff to the material on his own government’s website.

“The things they said about me are absolutely outrageous and untrue,” Wilson said in an interview. “How could they do a ‘review’ of my work and not consider these documents? They never interviewed me or asked me a single question about the program before they fired me. What kind of ‘review’ is that?”
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote