Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #361
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

BC Liberals defeated in confidence vote. Christy Clark got in one final lie to the public. Promised she wouldn't ask the LG to dissolve the government and call an election and then did exactly that but it sounds like the LG told her to pound sand.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #362
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
BC Liberals defeated in confidence vote. Christy Clark got in one final lie to the public. Promised she wouldn't ask the LG to dissolve the government and call an election and then did exactly that but it sounds like the LG told her to pound sand.
My understanding is the LG would ask Clark if she felt the NDP/Green could govern and she would most likely give the opinion that they couldn't. The it would be up to the LG to decide if a snap election is needed.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #363
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
My understanding is the LG would ask Clark if she felt the NDP/Green could govern and she would most likely give the opinion that they couldn't. The it would be up to the LG to decide if a snap election is needed.
That was the thought, but according to reports she straight up asked for dissolution.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 11:50 PM   #364
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The problem the NDP/Greens now have is actually being able to pass legislation if they have to fill the Speaker role from their ranks. They'd need at least one Liberal on board to get their majority.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:13 AM   #365
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
That was the thought, but according to reports she straight up asked for dissolution.
She legally has to make an official recommendation of either dissolution or forming opposition. The LG then makes her decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2017, 03:26 AM   #366
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
She legally has to make an official recommendation of either dissolution or forming opposition. The LG then makes her decision.
And she said she would not ask for another election... and then did ask for another election.

Her party is probably thanking their lucky stars she got told no. If they say yes and it comes out that she asked for it, we wouldn't be looking at a minority government. NDP would just win.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #367
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So do the Liberals take this opportunity to find a new leader? There is no way this lasts 4 years, so they should get on it ASAP.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:29 AM   #368
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
The problem the NDP/Greens now have is actually being able to pass legislation if they have to fill the Speaker role from their ranks. They'd need at least one Liberal on board to get their majority.
Speaker plays tiebreaker so they still have it
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:56 AM   #369
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
I was reading elsewhere the Speaker tradionally/normally votes in favor on most bills initially in order to keep things moving and promote continued debate but votes against them during final reading in favor of the status quo. This would result in continued endless grid lock. I think in this case the best resolution would have been to call a new election.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #370
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
Thats not how it works traditionally. Its not law but doing otherwise would break from how things have worked historically.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #371
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Her party is probably thanking their lucky stars she got told no. If they say yes and it comes out that she asked for it, we wouldn't be looking at a minority government. NDP would just win.
I'm not sure that happens. Are there really three seats the NDP picks up if they call an election? There were three ridings that were really close between Liberals and NDP (Coquitlam-Burke Mountain, Courtenay-Comox, Maple Ridge-Mission). The NDP won two of those three.

If the NDP were to get the three more seats needed, it might come at the expense of the two green party seats not held by Weaver. Green voters might switch to NDP, but I'm not sure they do. Weaver seems to be picking up some steam, so they might take some votes away from the NDP in key ridings, giving the majority back to the Liberals. Maybe Liberal voters even realize that their votes do matter, and they need to get out and vote. The Liberals changed their platform in the throne speech, so maybe they get some voters back that were leaning NDP for the first time.

If I was Clark I would have pushed for the election. I don't think it's as clear cut as you do that it would be an NDP majority. I'd wager some hypothetical dollars there is a better chance the Liberals get their majority. I do think Clark should step down, as it gives the Liberals a better chance in the next election, whenever that is. I was hoping Kevin Falcon wanted to run again, but he has said he will not. I don't blame him. His current job has better hours, environment, and pay.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #372
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do people actually like Clark in BC?

She seems somewhat revolting to me, she has all the worst qualities of a modern politician.

Would the Liberals have won with someone else at the helm?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #373
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I'm not sure that happens. Are there really three seats the NDP picks up if they call an election? There were three ridings that were really close between Liberals and NDP (Coquitlam-Burke Mountain, Courtenay-Comox, Maple Ridge-Mission). The NDP won two of those three.

If the NDP were to get the three more seats needed, it might come at the expense of the two green party seats not held by Weaver. Green voters might switch to NDP, but I'm not sure they do. Weaver seems to be picking up some steam, so they might take some votes away from the NDP in key ridings, giving the majority back to the Liberals. Maybe Liberal voters even realize that their votes do matter, and they need to get out and vote. The Liberals changed their platform in the throne speech, so maybe they get some voters back that were leaning NDP for the first time.
I think it'd be hard for the Greens to field enough candidates in time for another election so there'd be a number of ridings in which it would be the NDP ran directly against the Liberals. The Greens could also make a deal to not run candidates in metro Vancouver in exchange for certain platform promises. Either way I think the voters would punish Clark for another election especially since she specifically said she wouldn't ask for one.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #374
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post

She seems somewhat revolting to me, she has all the worst qualities of a modern politician.

Tough to say. Many liberal policies are deeply unpopular and Christy has the majority of bc voters convinced she would say anything to get elected, but on the other side of the coin when is an extremely effective and exhaustive campaigner.

She and the bc liberals have the opinion maker advantage which is a sizeable obstacle for the opposition to overcome, but even with that I don't think de jong as leader gets elected either.

If bc had gone into this vote with Clarkson having stepped aside prior to the campaign I think it would've been a landslide for the NDP.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #375
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post

My problem with Clark is that I can't trust a single thing she says. She's spent almost her entire time as premier saying and doing nothing regarding the housing crisis and then a year out from the election magically has a change of heart. She's someone who tries to bribe voters buy promising to give them back things her and her party were responsible for taking away. Throwing a bunch of NDP and Green platform promises into her Throne Speech was just such a classic Christy move, and there was zero chance she could be trusted to keep those promises.

I can't say that I trust Horgan. He seems like just another politician to me as well, but I know what I'm getting with Clark and it sucks.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #376
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Thats not how it works traditionally. Its not law but doing otherwise would break from how things have worked historically.
Sure, but convention kind of went out the window once the current Speaker resigned after 7 days in the position once his party lost the confidence of the house. If the Liberals are going to howl about how non-partisan the Speaker's role is, then why didn't their Speaker remain in the position?

Anyway, New Brunswick has had a similar situation to what BC is facing where one party won 1 more seat than the other did. The Speaker just voted along party lines and that government lasted 3 years. There's really no other workable solution.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #377
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Sure, but convention kind of went out the window once the current Speaker resigned after 7 days in the position once his party lost the confidence of the house. If the Liberals are going to howl about how non-partisan the Speaker's role is, then why didn't their Speaker remain in the position?
Everyone knew the speaker would resign when the Liberals lost the confidence vote. There are many ndp/green supporters up in arms about this move. It's simply a political move, just like the greens voting against the Liberals bill that would have made them an official party and to ban donations to parties. The greens want both of these things, but wouldn't vote for them because the Liberals put them on the table. That's also just part of politics. People shouldn't start calling out another party, when their party does similar things.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #378
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

does anyone think there isn't another election at some point in the next 14 months?
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #379
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
does anyone think there isn't another election at some point in the next 14 months?
I'm giving it 18 months. Greens will wait until the honeymoon period wears off and then jump ship on the NDP to save their own skins.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #380
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

once the greens get election reform all bets are off
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: