Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #961
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Do they only have one ball? Seems like a lot of wasted time getting balls.
the ballboys know how to waste time

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #962
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jesus. A defender in for our only striker. A defender from nasl. Not that Larin looked remotely useful but total concession
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #963
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Desperately need a goal, sub off Akindele and Larin...
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #964
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

the ball has been in Canada's half so much I now know what "El Portero Borjan" means.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #965
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hold out another 3 or 4 minutes and then we have to throw everything forward
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #966
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Hold out another 3 or 4 minutes and then we have to throw everything forward
once in my life i'd like to see Canada steal one.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #967
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

CSA attitude on display from commentators. Happy to lose by a small margin.... Needing pts to advance. I wonder why we bother fielding a team sometimes.

My 7th wc cycle. Only good memory was the one gold cup
Old 09-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #968
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone forward. Go
Old 09-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #969
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Hoilett's been absolute rubbish.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #970
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brutal.
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #971
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Expected but... Hands down the most depressing team i follow. I can't even find an nhl equivalent. At least if you're an oilers fan you have the draft.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #972
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I don't get it. Hoilett was awful, and he was completely out of gas. Plays the full 90. Larin and Akindele weren't exactly impressive, but at least they were working. When those two came off we had absolutely nothing except an entirely isolated Rickets. We created nothing in the last 30.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #973
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the attitude from CSA, the players, the media, the fans is that this is not good enough and is completely unacceptable. I wish more of our players played with the scrappy heart of Arfield and de Jong out there.

They played the second half like they expected to lose
Old 09-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #974
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simply put, we aren't a soccer nation. Honduras, with a population of 8 million might as well have been Brazil out there today. We didn't even have a sniff in the 2nd half.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #975
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its frustrating to watch a game like that. I want Canada to qualify for the World Cup, because it would be so awesome. But really for them make it there just means watching them get destroyed in the group stage anyway.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #976
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a junk performance. Incredibly sloppy passes all around by Canada, their ball handling I can only describe as spastic.
Hoilett was such a disappointment but then again he has been just average at QPR anyways so expecting more than average from Jr. seems to be his benchmark.
It has become apparent year after year that it doesn't matter if the Canada men's squad is up 3, down 1, tied, down 2-1 they play the same. Their strategy doesn't change, the urgency or pace remains the same.
This probably will come across as absurd but I think that based on their superior organization and chemistry as an overall squad that the Canada Womens squad would beat them. The men's team lacks a huge amount of confidence and their level of play is dysfunctional.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #977
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I hope the attitude from CSA, the players, the media, the fans is that this is not good enough and is completely unacceptable. I wish more of our players played with the scrappy heart of Arfield and de Jong out there.

They played the second half like they expected to lose
The CSA will act concerned and offer up the usual "internal reviews" and other halfhearted attempts at identifying the problem, which amount to a lot of hot air,as it has for the better part of going on 25 years.

Hiring Devos to be part of the organizaton (it's pretty clear on TV the last couple years is that he was aiming for such a position) this week maybe a step, or maybe just more optics from the CSA to put lipstick on the pig. He's been outspoken about things a bit, and now is part of the mess, so will see what happens but I doubt very much.

Fact is Canada is not good enough. They haven't been good enough for a while. Strategic reviews and 2 year and 5 year plans with lots of modern language and glossy presentations every 4 years won't make up for the fact that the CSA has completly failed at properly moving soccer forward over the past years in this country. It may now be too late, even if the CSA has changed.

Said many times here, it was a Ontario-centric group, run offficially or unofficially by egos who were out to.promote their own self interests. Politics, backstslabbing and favouritism at all levels pretty much rendered it feeble and weak and set development to a standstill, as said egos took more time and resources to maintan their standing in the organization then worry about dealing with the issues they are supposed to.
Of course the women's side, in a totally different situation with the state of the women's game globally light years different than the men's side, some sort of validation that what they are doing is correct.

Consider this, how far has the Canadian Olympic Committee advanced elite amateur sport in this country in the past decade or two? From a few gold medals and things in tatters in late 90s and early 2000s on the summer side, they realized it wasn't right and got a plan together to fix it. It didn't happen overnight, and took a full commitment that looks past the next 4 years and into 8 and 12 years down the road. And it's now been paying off the last two summer Olympics, but it didn't come easy or quickly, but they had the right people to do it and committed to see it through.

That's what the CSA should be doing but their is no way those in power have the patience to see a decade long on longer vision through, again because they're more worried about justifying their position for the next 4 years within the highly political group that it is. So a new wing of the group with a seemingly better plan says they can do it better, replaces the existing guys, then fails because they have a shiny 4 year plan based on a lot of corporate speak and assumptions, and rinse and repeat. And over the years there may well be or have been good people, but with the many hands that wanted to take part in making the pie, the politics behind the scenes always comes out and again renders the CSA impotent,and people leave in frustration.

No easy fix. Devos, who knows. He talks a little to corporately, but he has less to lose than most I guess so he won't mind taking things and people to task, but it's turned into a tangled web of an organization, which has prevented Canada best players from being noticed in the first place nevermind then properly developed and unified as a National Team should be.

Posters in here are right, it would nice to see them just go on some storybook run, playing above their levels once they get into the Hex. Last time it was Honduras 4 years ago, this time again.

But even if they did and somehow made the WC in such a manner, it wouldn't solve the CSA. It would almost make it worse because all the massive amounts of money the CSA would get would be wasted, and the CSA would be patting themselves on the back and taking credit for something they and their structure had very little in assisting with reaching it. So any added interest or participation levels in the country that would come of it, would be wasted and the CSA would mess it up and not properly take advantage of the potential.

Maybe the COC should take over the CSA. Scrap the national team as is, or let them play out the string, but and the men's national team going forward will be the U23 team as it is in 4 years.
That way, development coincides with the Olympics in 4 years and WC QF in 3/4 years. It gets those athletes under the supervision of an organization that has shown it can properly coach and nature development of young athletes and access to prior funding without a crooked organization and it's politics acting as a middleman.

It would be a bunch of year of hurt, having 18-20 year olds as the defacto national team moving forward from today, but in the long term it would get the program off the poisonous pattern it is currently been on since the late 80s really of not doing anything progressive, then throwing up its arms and shrugging it shoulders when what they threw at the wall doesn't stick every 4 years.

Last edited by browna; 09-02-2016 at 06:27 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:28 PM   #978
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Needs a top coach for once. Spend the money!

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #979
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like this thread is full of big talkers who like to crap on the national team when they get an expected result. Let's be honest here, how many people were expecting a result in Honduras? I know I wasn't. I actually think this was a very good result, especially given the disaster of a game in the same spot in 2012.

You know why the national team isn't getting results in games like this? Because we are a third world country when it comes to this sport. When professional, or even semi professional clubs in this country can't make money, they can't invest in development to get better players. The general populace just simply doesn't care about the sport. Outside of MLS, people in this country will not come out to see a local club. If it's not Man U or Barcelona or Real Madrid, people will stay away.

And until that changes, results like today won't change. Put your money where your mouth is and support the game in this country, or else we can simply hit F5 in 4 years time.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #980
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Amazing the difference between the the men's and women's National soccer teams for playing possession game.

The men look the way the women used to play 6-7 years ago.

It was sad to see them boot everything up the minute the ball came near them today.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post: